• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difference

In the past, it is my understanding that High Function Autism can also include Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS). However, in the US according to the new DSM Asperger's Syndrome and PDD-NOS are no longer diagnoses. It's all called Autism Spectrum Disorder now. There are three levels. ASD Level 1 is the highest functioning so I would consider that High Functioning Autism.

No, it is all an absolute rubbish that stupid "professionals" come out with.

Aspergers is...aspergers; no matter how much they want to change it.

I do not have autism; but I do have aspergers and that tells me quite plain, why I can say that "professionals" need to be in touch with PEOPLE; not their stupid books!

And here I am, going to see a psychiatrist next week. Ouch :eek:

In the past, it is my understanding that High Function Autism can also include Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)

It can also include Autistic Disorder (aka Childhood Autism in the ICD) without intellectual disability.

Yes, they took the diagnosis of Asperger's out of the
DSM. Reason given by my psychologist was Aspie's
have autistic traits so we are just on the high end of
the whole Autistic Spectrum thing.
IQ and ability to function are the only differences the
Psych Board now says.

Well I'm not classed as having Asperger Syndrome in the UK since I had extremely slow language and speech development as a young child similar to my low functioning brothers, except unlike them I started dramatically improving as I got older, although I kept numerous autistic traits. I was originally diagnosed as autistic in the 1970s as a very young child in the UK, but I was officially re-diagnosed a couple of years ago as simply having ASD along with OCD, although in my opinion a separate diagnosis of OCD is unnecessary since it's part of autism.

Incidentally my more recent diagnosis a couple of years ago was performed without my understanding which I think was very unfair. My social worker (who I don't speak to any more because she insists that autism is a mental health condition) turned up on a visit with another person. I was told that I was simply having an assessment, I had no idea it was a formal and more up to date diagnosis and this wasn't explained to me. I think part of the reason for this surprise and sly re-diagnosis was because for some reason my original paper medical records weren't transferred when the system was computerised. This infuriates me and I don't even know whether they've completely lost this important medical background information which included complications such as young childhood epilepsy (like my brothers I grew out of it), spasticity in my back and a small part is apparently paralysed which is why I've never been able to get past my knees when attempting to touch my toes and it's now giving me back pain as they suspected it would in later life (doctors have so far just fobbed me off about it), a deformity in the shape of my tongue (was later considered not serious enough for an operation that was at first planned, but it still makes it difficult for me to sound my Rs) and masses of other information from medical professionals, it also included my original official diagnosis in the 1970s by Sir Professor Michael Rutter (the highest expert in the field in the UK at the time who was later knighted for his work with autistic children). My brothers and my case went to the highest level because medical professionals were fascinated that all 3 of us were autistic when back then it wasn't supposed to be an inherited condition.

Last edited:
The main difference was language and/or speech development: if you have AS, you developed both relatively normally; with HFA, you were delayed or behind (though catching up happens often - I did and am diagnosed with HFA).

Now, it's sorted into 3 levels and all lumped into "Autism Spectrum Disorder", level 1 being the least impaired down to level 3 being the most impaired.

Last edited:
The main difference was language and/or speech development: if you have AS, you developed both relatively normally; with HFA, you were delayed or behind (though catching up happens often - I did and am diagnosed with HFA).

Now, it's sorted into 3 levels and all lumped into "Autism Spectrum Disorder", level 1 being the least impaired down to level 3 being the most impaired.
Thankfully so far I've never heard of ASD levels in the UK and my most recent diagnosis was simply ASD and OCD only a couple of years ago, so I assume it's something that is specific to certain countries at the moment. I have to say I really don't like them categorising autism like this because we are all unique and there will be many of us that don't properly fit into any specific category, then there will be completely different autistic people who require totally different types of support who are supposed to all be in the same category and will probably be treated as if they're the same. It is basically stereotyping all of us, it doesn't work and it's wrong. It also kinda undermines the difficulties many autistic people face when they're classed as the lowest level, oh it must be absolutely fine for them then, they're low priority because they barely need any support which isn't always the case. I suppose it's yet another stupid idea decided entirely by NTs without a single autistic person having a say even though they're by FAR the most qualified people in the field, in fact they're the only qualified people who actually truly know what being autistic is really like. Maybe I should start giving marriage counselling and advice, all I need to do is read the theory and I'll always know what's best for married couples, even though I've never been married myself and all my relationships I have been destructive, but that's what NTs are doing to autistic people.

Last edited:
Thankfully so far I've never heard of ASD levels in the UK and my most recent diagnosis was simply ASD and OCD only a couple of years ago, so I assume it's something that is specific to certain countries at the moment

The levels are specific to the DSM-5. (Not sure if the DSM is just a North American thing or not.)

The levels are supposed to simultaneously specify symptom severity and level of support the person requires. Clinicians are supposed to specify a severity level for each category of "Social Communication" and "Restricted, Repetitive Behaviors". (DSM-5 criteria)

I agree with you about the severity levels, I think they are not fit for purpose.

New Threads

Top Bottom