• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Difference between Asperger's & HFA?

JDartistic

Question: Is there a difference between Asperger's & HF autism?

I ask cuz I tested higher on the HF autism scale but the more I read of Aspies, I fall in that category, too.

But I've been told that there is a difference but I'm wondering what that is. Aren't we all autistic? & if so, why is there a delineation of autism & Asperger's. Are they 2 different diagnosis? And if so, what's the difference? From what I see here, we all share the same struggles, albeit different in degrees. I don't get the separation & I'm curious. Or are they the same?

I must admit I prefer saying I'm an Aspie than a HF autistic. The latter seems stigmatized more...

According to the DSM-5, there is no Asperger's Syndrome. There is only Autism Spectrum Disorder in several different levels. I was diagnosed with the DSM-4, so most of what I know about the diagnosis has to do with the DSM-4. According to the DSM-4, someone with classic Autism and someone AS can have all or some of the same symptoms except delays in cognitive and linguist development. People with AS do have not delays in these areas and can be advanced in these areas. As far as HFA is concerned, some doctors say there is no difference between HFA and AS, others say it is a different diagnosis. If the experts can't agree, that pretty much leaves me in the dark.

Last edited:
I am confused myself! Because I know I am not autistic in the literal sense, so here is a chap who has aspergers and he explains it pretty well, well to my way of thinking anyway, so here is the link:

According to the DSM-5, there is no Asperger's Syndrome. There is only Autism Spectrum Disorder in several different levels. I was diagnosed with the DSM-4, so most of what I know about the diagnosis has to do with the DSM-4. According to the DSM-4, someone with classic Autism and someone AS can have all or some of the same symptoms except delays in cognitive and linguist development. People with AS do have not delays in these areas and can be advanced in these areas. As far as HFA is concerned, some doctors say there is no difference between HFA and AS, others say it is a different diagnosis. If the experts can't agree, that pretty much leaves me in the dark.

Precisely. And why it's pointless to argue over such dynamics which are simply too ambiguous to objectively explain.

I am really tired of the flawed labeling systems that the pros use ;)

I am really tired of the flawed labeling systems that the pros use ;)

My only real question has always been who enabled such a system for what actual rea$on$? The medical establishment may use, abuse or freelance the system, but I have my doubts that they actually created it for their professional benefit.

My only real question has always been who enabled such a system for what actual rea$on$? The medical establishment may use, abuse or freelance the system, but I have my doubts that they actually created it for their professional benefit.
I was trying to avoid going there ;) $$$$$$$ and zero sense

In the US, it's just called autism now. There are three levels, based on the support one needs. From what I understand, Asperger's is equivalent to level one. Level two requires more support, and level three requires even more support ("classic autism").

What's confusing is when you take the test, there are two scores - one for Asperger's & one for autism. I scored higher on the autism scale & also my IQ was in the Gifted realm (but not quite a savant). So that was my confusion. The tests appear to separate the two, but maybe the test is different now.

What's confusing is when you take the test, there are two scores - one for Asperger's & one for autism. I scored higher on the autism scale & also my IQ was in the Gifted realm (but not quite a savant). So that was my confusion. The tests appear to separate the two, but maybe the test is different now.

Which test do you refer to?

I don't know the technical name but it was very long! That was a few years ago, too. I thought they were the standard tests, though. ??? I was also given an IQ test/score & I also had tests on mosaics/equations...again, don't know the names...not sure it matters, anyway. I'm still underemployed cuz of my social oddities... Ugh.

New Threads

Top Bottom