• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did your parents ever put you in "respite" care?

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
Before I was born my mom volunteered for or worked for a group home for developmentally disabled teenagers and men. She was always telling me about the horror stories about what went on there and when she tried to report it, she was bullied or the people who she reported it too simply didn't care. She always made sure she would never send one of her kids to a place like that. When she did truly need a break from me, she just sent me to stay with my older brother and his wife for the weekend. Anyway, the only time I remember my mother saying anything about respite care was once when we were going camping. I HATED going camping. We lived in the boonies and my LIFE was camping.

But I was forced to go with them anyway. Since we had such a tiny RV there was no place for me to isolate myself and recover when I had sensory overload. We often went camping at the drop of a hat, with no time to prepare myself. I got yelled at all the time and told I was "ruining everyone else's vacation". I was always told I didn't enjoy anything (no, I just didn't enjoy camping when I lived in the boondocks, my life basically was camping.) My mom went on to tell me about how she didn't want to have to put me in respite because off all the horrible things that happen there. Why not let me stay behind with my older bros? Eventually that's what started happening when my parents wanted to go camping because they got tired of having their "vacations ruined".

Growing up, I don't think there was respite homes (or anything like them) near me. So I'm a bit glad I didn't get put in them. I'm generally better by myself.

However there was a group for young people with disabilities (most seemed autistic in a way), so perhaps it was an autism group. I honestly don't know and don't think my parents would remember- plus I don't need to know at all. Anyway.. it was an ok group but I just didn't get along with them. We did bowling I think a few times and then I decided not to go back to the group. I did this group when I was 12 or 13 I think.

I've never been sent to a respite home( i think?? I'm confused about understanding what it means), but between the age 10-12 I'd get dumped off at my mom's friend's family once a month so my mom could get a break.
The family had two kids who just moved out so they were really glad when i came, feeding me cakes, buying me lots of candy and letting me sleep In a way too big bed. It was nice living in such a rich household, but i remember feeling very empty and lonely.

I mean, technically I have a developmental disorder. But it's Aspergers, I wasn't really much trouble. The trick is learning to use the high intelligence that's coupled with Asperger's to compensate for the social incompetence. I guess I also have really great parents.

I didn't even realize what respite care was until your post. I knew a couple of boys who went, but I didn't.
I was, however, shipped off to my grandparents for most vacations, which everybody was happy about: grandparents got the visit of this quiet kid whom you could leave alone for hours on end, with just paper and pencil/crayons (although meals were a trying time for all parties involved), I got to get away from my crappy town & the mean kids, and I'm certain my parents were VERY happy with the break they got from it.
I think my coping abilities took a hard hit after my grandparents passed away, because suddenly there was no more retreat, and I lost one half of the people who actually loved me for my "otherness".

I'm sure that my parents never dreamed of it so I was always sent to my grandmother's house if they were going on vacations or if she wanted to spend time with her friends. Sometimes I got to stay alone at the house which I enjoyed very much, the house was so quiet and calm. Over the years I did enjoy going to my grandmother's house when I realized that she wasn't my enemy and just wanted to have fun with me. I even got to go on some dates with my grandmother and her boyfriend, it was so cute to see old people date and I was happy to get out and have some fun. I was the only one that approved of them dating since they liked each other and he wasn't a gold digger (they seemed to think so), I'm pretty good at reading people.

New Threads

Top Bottom