• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Development Delays

Have you grew up with development delays?

In this video I had discussed what my life has been like going through development delays.

I spoke early but otherwise with speaking I didnt mean the milestones in time. I had fine motor skill issues and speech issues as a child. Though I did math early and later forgot it and was always intellectually and maturity levels ahead of my peers and

Last edited:
In my early teens, I still had the interests and preference for toys, games, and activities more commonly associated with an 8-year-old. Since early childhood, the encyclopedia has been one of my favorite sources of general information and stories about art, history, and famous people. I was intellectually advanced for my age, but maturity came much later. I'm not even sure if I have reached maturity yet. I indulged my intellectual interests early, but remained more child-like in my actions for a long time, more than what would have been considered healthy. I don't mind now because I got to be a kid for a longer period of time than my peers. In exchange, my peers became more advanced than I was. I'm sure I missed out on a lot of adventures with them, but it also kept me from getting into trouble.

I didn’t have any severe developmental issues growing up but from what I was told it did take me a little longer to speak properly but because it wasn’t a major delay I was told that my parents thought I was just lazy.

Also when I was growing up it took me longer to learn stuff like tying my shoe laces or even buckling up a seatbelt longer than it did my peers.

I also was still interested in Barbie dolls even when I was in my teens and I even had my dad telling me not to tell anyone in school that I still like dolls.

I struggled in school academically especially with maths but I caught up quickly with reading and writing and found I am much better with words than numbers.

Last edited:
I didn’t have any severe developmental issue growing up but from what I was told it did take me a little longer to speak properly but because it wasn’t a major delay I was told that my parents thought I was just lazy.

Also when I was growing up it took me longer to learn stuff like tying my shoe laces or even buckling up a seatbelt longer than it did my peers.

I also still was interested in Barbie dolls even when I was in my teens and I even had my dad telling me not to tell anyone in school that I still like dolls.

I struggled in school academically especially with maths but I caught up quickly with reading and writing and found I am much better with words than numbers.
Nice profile picture and I still cant tie my shoelaces

It was kinda weird, I was in many ways "dumb" as a kid but at the same time I was known for getting along with adults more than the other children and I was often seen as more "mature" than them. I certainly do enjoy their company more.

I spoke late and did average in school. I only did good in visual subjects excluding math which I am still horrible at. I could stair at maps all day which I have but I could not remember some fact about what happened in that area but I can remember the state capital and cities name.

I am also delayed in reading and grammar skills. The issues where that my teachers did not know I had Asperger's and I was taught all wrong in the school which is still my biggest regret that I did not get the proper academic help.

I was language delayed, social delayed, delayed in academics, I had dyspraxia, I was also emotionally immature. I also read late too. But I picked up on addition fast and multiplication and division and learning periods and commas and capitalization, reading once I started to read books in 2nd grade, but I was still slow in academics because my reading comprehension was poor so I got Cs. Everything on my report card was marked as me needing improvement. I was not merging or advanced in lot of it or met it. Though I did have appropriate daily living skills and was never delayed in that.

New Threads

Top Bottom