• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Despite having small hands, really clumsy

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
This can be annoying for my hands are really small and yet, doing small, delicate things etc, I am so clumsy. I feel that I am all fingers and thumbs and just really heavy handed.

Wonder if this is an aspie thing?

I have the same problem, I have tiny hands but I'm really clumsy, especially when I'm around other people or a new person.

Supposedly many of us have "dyspraxia", which is a fancy way of saying "you are clumsy". Some people are severe enough that it gets in the way of even speech because the wires aren't connecting right from the brain to the body. Most of us simply are butterfingered and often offer human sacrifices to gravity. But you know, it takes true talent to trip over a flat surface!

I have an odd combination of good eye-hand coordination, and clumsiness with my hands. For this reason, I don't let anyone talk to me if I am working in the kitchen.
I was active as a kid, always doing something or other, and learned lots of different activities and I think that has benefited me my whole life.

It's a bit of a mixed bag for me. I drop things quite often and appear to be quite clumsy, but the "weirder" the circumstances get I manage to do fine.

I can't say I don't have a somewhat steady hand for painting, applying body piercings, drawing, playing music instruments stuff like that. Perhaps it has to do with additional motivation because they're interest and my clumsiness is linked to a lack of interest in a plethora of things. I've tried to do the entire "I just have to give it a bit more effort" but the more effort I give, the more prone to accidents I get. Seems I'm totally full of this "intrinsic movitation" thing I addressed on this forum a while ago.

The "weirder" circumstances for me tend to be low light or no light at all. For some reason I can catch things I juggle through the air from my left hand to the right hand (or vice versa) without any sign of clumsiness. My grip seems to be perfect and in the right spot to catch something. Makes me wonder if my brain somehow imagines a trajectory and knows where to put my hand just on intuition. Maybe I was a blind guy in a previous life, lol. Or the spirit of Matt Murdock (Daredevil) haunts me, lol. But really... throw me something when there's "regular" lighting and I'll drop it and follow up with the most graceful swandive to the floor... of course, flat surfaces ;)

It is my understanding that this is a Aspie thing. I have read that while not all Aspies are clumsy, most are. I am very clumsy. I drop things a lot and trip over my own feet. I have tried my hand at several different individual sports, putting in considerable time and effort. I enjoyed myself, but never did very good. My hand-eye coordination isn't to bad, but the rest of my body doesn't seem to work together very well.

My hand-eye coordination is normal, but I have bad coordination otherwise. So I can thread a needle, play the game "Operation", just don't ask me to dance or play a musical intrument. I'm not very good at typing either. I also have difficulties locking and unlocking doors, with zips, using a touchpad on my phone. I was late to learn to ride a bike, and had problems with handwriting. I never managed to learn cursive writing. I was at best average at sports. For me, country dancing was the worst possible thing because I had bad coordination, hated touching or being in close contact with a dancing partner, couldn't learn the steps or keep the rhythm. I've been told in the past that I walk funny - but that could just mean that I don't walk in a feminine way. I often drop things too, but I don't know if I drop things more than neurotypical people usually do.

Supposedly many of us have "dyspraxia", which is a fancy way of saying "you are clumsy". Some people are severe enough that it gets in the way of even speech because the wires aren't connecting right from the brain to the body. Most of us simply are butterfingered and often offer human sacrifices to gravity. But you know, it takes true talent to trip over a flat surface!

Yes, my speech can be severe enough at times, and even if I know the person well, I can suddenly jumble up all my words or my mind goes blank and I try to fumble my way through! My husband is always saying: how the heck did you manage to trip up or you are the only person I know who can find holes, where there were none! Lol also I walk into things, or get the pocket of my cardigan, wrapped around a door handle or even a button finds its way stuck. I do laugh though and think: wow Suzanne, that is one heck of an achievement there :p or who else can but you, can manage to do that!

My hand-eye coordination is normal, but I have bad coordination otherwise. So I can thread a needle, play the game "Operation", just don't ask me to dance or play a musical intrument. I'm not very good at typing either. I also have difficulties locking and unlocking doors, with zips, using a touchpad on my phone. I was late to learn to ride a bike, and had problems with handwriting. I never managed to learn cursive writing. I was at best average at sports. For me, country dancing was the worst possible thing because I had bad coordination, hated touching or being in close contact with a dancing partner, couldn't learn the steps or keep the rhythm. I've been told in the past that I walk funny - but that could just mean that I don't walk in a feminine way. I often drop things too, but I don't know if I drop things more than neurotypical people usually do.

I still am in shock and somewhat fascinated that I can actually type and that is touch typing! I can also thread a needle and that is even the tinniest of holes. I love dancing, but I am a Taylor Swift type dancer; do not go there, with formal dancing; just don't like it; I like to feel the music on my own. Yep I drop things and terrible with locking and unlocking doors and actually, that has caused a phobia and rather be on my own if I have to do this!

This can be annoying for my hands are really small and yet, doing small, delicate things etc, I am so clumsy. I feel that I am all fingers and thumbs and just really heavy handed.

Wonder if this is an aspie thing?

You would have been a godsend at lambing time on my farm, all the local girls had large hands which are useless in trying to turn a breach birth.

You would have been a godsend at lambing time on my farm, all the local girls had large hands which are useless in trying to turn a breach birth.

Not so sure; my hands way be a godsend, but unless you can unattach them, then no good, since I am a woman who likes being feminine and the only time, I permit myself to wear scruffs, is when cleaning out the chicken house and then, I cannot wait to get out of them and get me back on lol having said that, if I have to do a dirty job, I will get stuck in!

One of the many symptoms of AS is poor coordination.

I'm naturally small and have small hands too but am very uncoordinated. I find it very difficult to physically write because I lack a lot of fine motor control but have no difficulties with drawing (which I love to do). Not too sure as to how much pressure to apply to an object with my hands (I once broke something that is very precious to me from Hong Kong :cry:).

It's wise to wear bubblewrap when I'm around. I execute my infamous Triple Klutz on completely flat surfaces. I grew up walking "like a farmer," until a few years of mobility classes schooled my gait... until I am distracted or tired, and again walk like Bigfoot. My penmanship has been worked on such that my signature is fine, but my writing in general is hieroglyphs.

My fear is that a man will ask me to a steakhouse for a first date. Using a knife and fork with stubborn determination, I once launched a sizzling hunk of porterhouse into the occupied booth behind me.:rolleyes:

It's wise to wear bubblewrap when I'm around. I execute my infamous Triple Klutz on completely flat surfaces. I grew up walking "like a farmer," until a few years of mobility classes schooled my gait... until I am distracted or tired, and again walk like Bigfoot. My penmanship has been worked on such that my signature is fine, but my writing in general is hieroglyphs.

My fear is that a man will ask me to a steakhouse for a first date. Using a knife and fork with stubborn determination, I once launched a sizzling hunk of porterhouse into the occupied booth behind me.:rolleyes:

What I find is that I am hyper sensitive to the fact that I am clumsy and so, am very diligent in what I do or careful and keep my mind on what I am doing, otherwise I get: where are your brains, Suzanne? How did you manage to do that, or you make it look so complicated and I can't look. All from hubby! He has well, man hands lol and yet, makes every seem so easy, until my tiny hands get of something and I might as well have man hands!!!

I am afraid that I am very unrefined eater; I try extra hard when out though and do succeed for the most part; generally blank others out, otherwise I couldn't eat!

I too have small hands and feet.

Ja, awkward is my middle name; the whole thing about speech (didn't learn to speak until five, and still have issues with jumbling words, sentences and repeating myself like a broken record) handwriting, not knowing how to tie shoelaces or ride a bike until 10, butterfingers when sewing (Mother would scold me about how hopeless I was). Catching a ball or freezbee was never an issue until a few years ago, but I think that's more to do with fading eyesight. I'll need glasses soon.

Dunno about any of you guys, but no matter how hard I try, I always manage to look unkempt. OK, it doesn't help my hair is naturally predisposed to look like a bird's nest, but unless I make a conscious effort to check the collar's in proper shape or the buttons are tied correctly, you can bet your money the collar's a mess, the buttons are incorrect or, Lord forbid regarding tops, it's on inside out!

Suzanne, I'm an unrefined eater too, especially when in a hurry, plus it doesn't help that I can't breathe through my nose. Sometimes I cover my mouth when eating in public. I too have to concentrate, because otherwise my gums and lips would get chewed up.

If someone talks to me in the kitchen, I have to stop what I'm doing. I hate cooking, it's so stressful. Food always ends up on the floor and I usually burn my fingers. Fortunately, I live in a country where eating out is cheaper than cooking.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom