• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Describe life with autism in photo or meme or short paragraph.

Pats

V.I.P Member
Actually, I seen this and my first thought was autism and wanted to share it, so thought I'd start a thread for similar things. :)
upload_2019-4-15_21-6-55.png

Hmmm, I am never good with 'describe in one' activities because I overthink it and one doesn't cover everything and so I cannot chose one. Also, I cannot describe anything important in one paragraph and anything I write quickly becomes an essay. Unless the essay topic was assigned by someone else and I am not buying into it and then I am unable to write more than a paragraph as it seems there is nothing important at all to say about it and I am incapable of padding an essay. It's silly to say the same thing over and over in more than one way. I've never understood why word count mattered when content is the important thing. Thus, I am unable to play this game and here is my paragraph explaining why. Keeping it this short was a challenge.
:)

Hmmm, I am never good with 'describe in one' activities because I overthink it and one doesn't cover everything and so I cannot chose one. Also, I cannot describe anything important in one paragraph and anything I write quickly becomes an essay. Unless the essay topic was assigned by someone else and I am not buying into it and then I am unable to write more than a paragraph as it seems there is nothing important at all to say about it and I am incapable of padding an essay. It's silly to say the same thing over and over in more than one way. I've never understood why word count mattered when content is the important thing. Thus, I am unable to play this game and here is my paragraph explaining why. Keeping it this short was a challenge.
:)
good one. lol

Imagine that you're sledding down a snowy hill, and instead of trees, everything that you can possibly think about or worry about is flashing by. You can slow the sled down a bit, but you can't stop it. And as you look down, you see that the hill goes on forever.

Welcome to Autism Hill.

Autism is like having your conscious and subconscious minds switched. Things that everyone else does naturally, like socializing, playing sports, and recognizing people, require conscious mental effort. Things that everyone else finds difficult or boring, come as naturally as breathing.

In most people, emotions and conscious thought are like the pilot and co-pilot working together to fly an airplane. In autistic people, there's a wall between them and they sometimes fight for control of the plane.

Life with autism is sometimes good and is sometimes not so good.

My particular Autistic traits and the degree to which they need to be paid attention is mild on the “sometimes not so good”. Understanding degrees of Autism traits and how they impact functioning; I have no room to characterize my life as unmanageable or significantly difficult. I’m not desperate for change.

Life with Autism is like constantly trying to catch my breath, drawing most of the oxygen from the room.

Last edited:
"Tink was not all bad; or, rather, she was all bad just now, but, on the other hand, sometimes she was all good. Fairies have to be one thing or the other, because being so small they unfortunately have room for one feeling only at a time. They are, however, allowed to change, only it must be a complete change." ~Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

This is how I feel, pretty much always. There's only room in my head for one thing. For instance, if I'm clearing land, I only have room in my head for my awesome plant destroying powers, so I've annoyed my husband by first cutting down his baby lime tree and (today) cutting down one of his pineapple bushes. *sigh*

Changing takes a lot of work, so if I have to do anything specific on a given day, I have trouble doing anything else while I'm waiting for the schedule event.

I wish I had a picture that represented how I see this, but I don't know how the image would be arranged. I see ASD as having an unbreakable glass wall travel with you everywhere. Sometimes you notice it is there, and other times you ignore it because you are so used to it. It's not a glass box, it is just a wall, slightly taller and slightly wider than your own body. You can't control its position in relation to yourself. It chooses its own position. You my think you have access to things around you, but the wall makes real interaction in certain directions impossible. It functions like the well-known "baggage" that therapists talk about. It goes with you everywhere and you must accept its existence, though it inhibits your movements. The rest of the world can't see the glass wall, so they can't detect anything that indicates how impaired you are.

I wish I had a picture that represented how I see this, but I don't know how the image would be arranged. I see ASD as having an unbreakable glass wall travel with you everywhere. Sometimes you notice it is there, and other times you ignore it because you are so used to it. It's not a glass box, it is just a wall, slightly taller and slightly wider than your own body. You can't control its position in relation to yourself. It chooses its own position. You my think you have access to things around you, but the wall makes real interaction in certain directions impossible. It functions like the well-known "baggage" that therapists talk about. It goes with you everywhere and you must accept its existence, though it inhibits your movements. The rest of the world can't see the glass wall, so they can't detect anything that indicates how impaired you are.
giphy.gif

That reminds me, I've got another one:

isthisaaaa.jpg

I blank out *alot*. Not just while talking.

I usually follow it up by trying to do something bizarre like making a sandwich but using toothpaste instead of cheese. It will take me awhile to realize I've done something like that.

These are a few pics I have stored that remind me of how I feel...
brick.jpg

shutterstock_79547737_man-in-bubble.jpg
The glass bubble that is always there.
AAh82Ez.jpg

Interacting with the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom