• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Depressed

BruceCM

Currently, I'm diagnosed with severe depression. & I'm still getting much the same condescending, patronizing, dismissive, pseudo & quasi intellectual clap trap & simplistic 'positive' garbage as before. What's it take to get through to there idiots? Do I have to attack somebody or what? Tried & tried & tried to tell support services people. Never works. Please, help!?

I'd been there. What I did? Had medicine. Blogged. Went overseas for an extended period so much that it disrupted my studies. But I came back much wiser and happier, more contented too.

Everyone is different though.

Well, I can't go overseas at all, due to lack of finances! However, I seem to be able to post about this stuff here & my other forums, so that helps!

Iv never been fully depressed but if the weather is cloudy or if I have a bunch of consecutive days off work then I get into a bit of a funky mood. It usually helps if I get some exercise, sunlight, loud loud loud heavy metal, or taking a drive.

Iv never been fully depressed but if the weather is cloudy or if I have a bunch of consecutive days off work then I get into a bit of a funky mood. It usually helps if I get some exercise, sunlight, loud loud loud heavy metal, or taking a drive.

Some stuff will make you more prone to depression, as will some stuff make you feel better. Everyone has them, it just takes a while to figure out. Yet, there might be some point of no return, and that's where it gets ugly.

It also might be a bit harder if the things that cheer you up are a bit more "out of reach"... but (in general) there's no one stopping you from going for that.

I'm not really prone to depression, generally; I don't have the extreme mood swings most of the time. Nothing like some people I've known seem to! Bright sunshine helps & when I can chat with a few people, that's good, too. Sometimes, of course, even when you know what'll set you off, whatever way, you can't avoid it happening, either due to it 'coming out of the blue' or not being, effectively, able to walk away when, perhaps, you 'should' have done.
Yeah, in theory, nobody's stopping you doing whatever you want (that isn't illegal) but, in practice, plenty of people might, for whatever reasons, try to stop you. Sometimes, it's because they really think you're making a 'bad' choice & they do care & all that stuff. Personally, I can't & won't judge what anybody's 'motives' might or might not be, I don't think I can tell & it is, actually, irrelevant to the truth of the matter in question.

Some stuff will make you more prone to depression, as will some stuff make you feel better. Everyone has them, it just takes a while to figure out. Yet, there might be some point of no return, and that's where it gets ugly.

It also might be a bit harder if the things that cheer you up are a bit more "out of reach"... but (in general) there's no one stopping you from going for that.

Ya, Im pretty fortunate that my cheerups are so easy to access. I bet even for the people that seem to have nothing easily accessible that can cheer them up, theres something thatll work but they just need to find it. Iv known a few friends who suffered from sever clinical depression and its such an unfair and unfortunate thing. Its terrible

I'm not really prone to depression, generally; I don't have the extreme mood swings most of the time. Nothing like some people I've known seem to! Bright sunshine helps & when I can chat with a few people, that's good, too.

Social activity seems to be great about helping people out with depression. Im assuming if its Aspies with that are depressed its even better if its in a very laid back and non-stressful social atmosphere.

No medicine has helped me, and I'm not sure what ever will.
It really sucks.
Some people find cures faster than others.

Not really a cure & the pills only help with some things. What did you want a 'cure' for, then?

Well, if it's not a chemical imbalance depression, a pill isn't going to fix the depression.
Therapy may help.
Introspection may help.
Change of environment may help.
Finding a purpose may help.

But unless it's chemical, SSRI's are not not going to "cure"

I don't have proper depression as such, but for me I find that social contact, music, gaming and indulging in my interests/hobbies can help. Basically like a distraction. Being outdoors in the fresh air can also help too - it's nice to get out of the bedroom every so often.

I don't think Citalopram (the one I got) is an SSRI. It seemed to help a bit but then I just don't have the temperament for staying depressed long, anyway. Not too sure what, if any, therapy there'd be for anything I'd like, though.

I don't think Citalopram (the one I got) is an SSRI. It seemed to help a bit but then I just don't have the temperament for staying depressed long, anyway. Not too sure what, if any, therapy there'd be for anything I'd like, though.

Well, let's put it this way... is there anything you like? Do you have hobbies? Would you feel more "happy" if you could indulge on those more? If so... I think there's your answer for "therapy". I don't think it should be in line with that there's a therapist around. I can put myself in "therapy" of sorts...

My "therapy" is working on my art project. It's therapy, it's purpose, it might even be introspection (through creating things) and to some extent I can get into my "work" thus I don't really care for enviroment.

The thing that usually puts me off is when I'm pretty much told "you can't have therapy 24 hours a day"... that's how I interpret the fact that they expect me be a "normal" and functioning member of society. And that's the reason I'm seeing an actual therapist... so I have black on white back-up that says I can manage myself as long as everyone gets off my back.

Well, I like listening to music, although I'm not as into that as some people seem to be; I usually have some on in the background & I do play DS & PSP games. Then, I'm in a few forums & I see my parents most weeks; it's easier going to Tesco with Mum, as they've a car & we can both do our main weekly shop that way. I also go with a walking group, for the bit of fresh air & chat. The main thing I'd be into, however, would be church & that's oddly where the main problems arose in the first place!

New Threads

Top Bottom