• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Delta Bans Emotional Support Ducks, Possums, Snakes, etc. From Flying

Agreed!

I ride the city bus and often see folks bringing in dogs they claim are service animals, but then they jump up on the seats, bark, sniff around, etc. I've even seen a dog fight between two alleged "service" pitbulls.

You can tell a real trained service animal immediately. They walk along side their master, don't pay any attention to people or pets, and once boarded, they immediately lie down under their master's seat. The master will tell anyone who tries to pet their animal that they are working and not to pet them.

There's a difference between "service" animal, and "emotional support" animal, and most people dont really seem to be aware of it.

A service animal, like a guide dog for the blind, has extremely strict training to behave in extremely specific ways for different situations. There is ALOT that goes into their training, all of it is very complicated. While they usually do bond with their owner, they still have to serve a practical function, generally one that the owner cannot perform on their own.

An emotional support animal, on the other hand, is not there to lead the person around or stuff like that; they do not perform functions of a practical nature. They are there just to be there. Their presence keeps the person going. They dont really have to DO anything specific. Which makes sense, really. Like, for a person with a terrible debilitating anxiety disorder, you cant just train a big dog to pull the anxiety out of the person's head or something. What is needed is an animal that provides the bond and friendship. However, they still need to meet a variety of qualifications to be officially designated as a "support" animal. Unfortunately though, those qualifications are fairly loose, so things get wonky.

But also I think there's alot of people that will just CLAIM that their animal is a "support" animal, but they dont actually have any of the paperwork that really shows it. They just see other people doing it, and they do it. Which is likely why you end up with weird ones like a freaking snake. It's not that animals that arent dogs/cats cant perform the role... for instance, the idea of a pig as a support animal is perfectly viable, they are extremely intelligent animals and can make for excellent pets (and bond with people) in the same way that a dog can. But a snake? It's a freaking snake! It doesnt form bonds or relationships, nor does it exactly do much thinking. It's basically a mouth with a long tube attached that exists to propel the mouth in the general direction of food. There's alot of animals that dont REALLY fit the concept, but people are derps and will try to claim that their giant cockroach or whatever can do it anyway. Or they have an animal that absolutely could do the role... but isnt trained to behave properly around others (and really, ALL pets should be trained at least that much, eh?)

@Fino As soon as I read the article, I thought There goes Fino! :oops:

I don't think any ESA could ever get me on a crowded airline flight anyway. Afraid of flying.
But, some of these 'odd' animals like a snake or even a spider can be in a carrier with the passenger.
It is secure and clean. Maybe they need a section for people with larger service animals to themselves.
Like it used to be smoking, no smoking sections.

I know how much some living thing can distract your attention and help with anxious thoughts.
Heck I have two Darkling beetles in a goldfish jar sitting on a stand on the table where I eat.
I watch them and put pieces of bread or lettuce in for them right along with my meal.
I even say things to them like good morning, Sport. Still sleeping, Liberty? (Sport and Liberty are their names)
Most people would find that repulsive I'm sure, but, for me it is company.
View attachment 54859 wired and wierd. :D
Do they smell? Spiders are amongst the least smelling pets and very low maintenance.

Last edited:
I fly a lot, don't like it, but do it to get to where I need to go. I have no problem with true service animals (invariably dogs) and would gladly exchange my seat to facilitate someone who needs space for their service animal.

However, I draw the line at sitting next to some sniveling, narcissistic, histrionic person with their ESA pet or livestock and would pitch a fit if seated next to an inappropriate animal that would make the ESA owner's anxiety pale by comparison. There are anti-anxiety drugs, stuffed teddy bears and baby blankets to sooth them without interfering with my right to be free of their stinking pets while I'm shoved into a 5' x 18" space for hours on end. The airlines are coming to realize that flyers like me will not tolerate the gross lack of consideration shown by ESA owners on airplanes. It's a good thing.

I fly a lot, don't like it, but do it to get to where I need to go. I have no problem with true service animals (invariably dogs) and would gladly exchange my seat to facilitate someone who needs space for their service animal.

However, I draw the line at sitting next to some sniveling, narcissistic, histrionic person with their ESA pet or livestock and would pitch a fit if seated next to an inappropriate animal that would make the ESA owner's anxiety pale by comparison. There are anti-anxiety drugs, stuffed teddy bears and baby blankets to sooth them without interfering with my right to be free of their stinking pets while I'm shoved into a 5' x 18" space for hours on end. The airlines are coming to realize that flyers like me will not tolerate the gross lack of consideration shown by ESA owners on airplanes. It's a good thing.
Actually, live stock is an obvious no-go (no fly?) due to being fat and large.

I took a 2 hour flight right after 9/11. It was the strangest flight ever. I had the whole plane to myself. So bizarre. So sad.

I guess I felt what it'd be like to be rich like Donald Trump. Even though I was seated in coach, I had the entire crew to myself, was fed whatever I wanted, and even got to take off my shoes.

God bless our American Heroes that day. I hope we can rekindle the patriotism, love, and community we felt for each other. We promised to never forget. But have we?
I wish I was there. Sorta sad, but sounds amazing.

@Fino As soon as I read the article, I thought There goes Fino! :oops:

I don't think any ESA could ever get me on a crowded airline flight anyway. Afraid of flying.
But, some of these 'odd' animals like a snake or even a spider can be in a carrier with the passenger.
It is secure and clean. Maybe they need a section for people with larger service animals to themselves.
Like it used to be smoking, no smoking sections.

I know how much some living thing can distract your attention and help with anxious thoughts.
Heck I have two Darkling beetles in a goldfish jar sitting on a stand on the table where I eat.
I watch them and put pieces of bread or lettuce in for them right along with my meal.
I even say things to them like good morning, Sport. Still sleeping, Liberty? (Sport and Liberty are their names)
Most people would find that repulsive I'm sure, but, for me it is company.
View attachment 54859 wired and wierd. :D
I kinda think possums are cute. In fact, they are my second favorite species of animal. My #1 favorite is the domestic dog.

New Threads

Top Bottom