• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing with Extremely poor/rude drivers

A lot of bad drivers where I live and road rage is very common.
So are gun carrying permits and road rage shootings.
The thing that I see as just stupid are those who weave in and out of traffic on the large roads.
Usually it doesn't get them any where except maybe to the first place at the next traffic light and
many times I may be second or even sitting beside them by then.
I don't do anything to even give them the chance to think it bothers me.
And it really doesn't. Aside of the thought of how silly.
I too, notice certain types of cars, the fast, expensive sporty ones are often the ones who do it.
But, for some reason, even more than sporty cars the big pickup trucks far outnumber the type of
cars that do it.

I drive a sensible Jeep SUV and drive safely.
If a pickup truck jacked up in the air so high it could run over me, (worst type), gets behind me
and tailgates, they tailgate. If the speed limit is 35 miles an hour due to curves in the road,
35 it is. I know that really gets them going, but, I just laugh to myself and if they can't obey the
rules of the road, that's their problem.
If I don't let it get to me, I remain cool and thus drive safer.

My house partner has a Mustang and he is 77 with dementia.
Everything any other driver does that aggrivates him, he starts flicking the birdie, screaming out
names at them and for what? They don't hear him. It only gets him in a tizzy, making it less
safe for himself and when I'm with him, unfortunately for me too.
He really should not even have a liscense IMO, but, in a state full of seniour citizens we have
no law for being tested even after a certain age.

Keep yourself and any passengers safe.

There will always be drivers with a different style of driving and different attitudes sharing the same roads.
Discourteous risk taking is rarely personal. How can it be? The other driver doesn't know you.

Greater horse power can mean the driver has more power under their foot to take less time on decision making.

They make a mistake or drive dangerously, you keep yourself safe.
Live to drive another day.

... Don't get me on my soap box about 'other road users' (UK Highway Code definition)
:)

I deal with them by not dealing with them.

Through tons of exploration, I know every backroad in the area. And by "area" I mean "middle of bloody nowhere". The nearby town, which we are on the very edge of, is where most of the idiots roam... alot of shopping centers in there. But that "edge" is more like the edge of civilization, and past that, is unending grass and farms. MOST of the state (I'm in the US) is grass.

So to get pretty much anywhere, I back away from that shopping zone and take roads that nobody seems to know about.

The downside: snow plows dont seem to know about them either. So it can be problematic during winter.

New Threads

Top Bottom