• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DDR4 Versus DDR5

Other than the confusion revolving around DDR5, my main concern is just to double my memory to 32GB, in consideration of future technologies like AI. I just don't want to be caught again without adequate hardware, for at least a few more years.
You don't really need that much ram unless you're dealing with very large files. Linux handles memory so much more efficiently than windows. Play with your System Monitor and tell me if you ever see even a few bytes of the swap file being used, whereas windows lives on the thing no matter how much ram you've got.

If you get in to game editing and database manipulation having that much ram definitely speeds the process up.

screen65.jpg

You don't really need that much ram unless you're dealing with very large files. Linux handles memory so much more efficiently than windows. Play with your System Monitor and tell me if you ever see even a few bytes of the swap file being used, whereas windows lives on the thing no matter how much ram you've got.

If you get in to game editing and database manipulation having that much ram definitely speeds the process up.

View attachment 126264
That's my understanding of the present, but when it comes to proposals regarding AI, it's still all a guessing game when it comes to how it will use that memory, and how much it initially requires.

I've been running 16GB of RAM for about the last five years, without ever even coming close to capacity. So moving to 32 GB is just for a safety margin of the unknown and little else.

I may run Windows again (dual booting) in the future, so I'm hedging my bets. But agreed, with Linux everything runs as smooth as butter with far less memory.

I've been running 16GB of RAM for about the last five years, without ever even coming close to capacity. So moving to 32 GB is just for a safety margin of the unknown and little else.
I did exactly the same. But I do occasionally muck around with programming and game editing. Having that much ram would be useful when video editing as well.

I did exactly the same. But I do occasionally muck around with programming and game editing. Having that much ram would be useful when video editing as well.
It does make me wonder just how well those newer i5 CPUs can handle the hyperthreading required with video editing. Apart from more RAM. My existing CPU (i5-3570k) has zero capability in that area.

But either way, I have no intention of getting involved in video. Content just to be able to do sophisticated editing in Photoshop 5.5. As long as Wine in Linux permits.

I got pretty good with Wine over the years and it rarely presents me with problems that can't be fixed in a few minutes, even wrote a few tutorials on it over the years.

That said, try Q4Wine. It seems to manage Wine pretty well and windows programs for the most part seem to open seamlessly with it.

Wow. Another "lynch pin" knocked down in terms of putting a list of all my future computer components to buy, apart from stewing over what kind of RAM to get.

To discover that in as much as I have always been happy with my Intel i5-3570k, that the Intel i5-2400 is some 45% faster according to UserBenchmark's assessment. I wasn't expecting that, even given the number of years between the two CPUs. Statistical data has sure changed in this regard.

And to think I began to lean towards the i5 12600K, knowing it puts out far more wattage and heat. Nope, not now. I'll stick with the i5 12400. I have a spare GPU (GTX 650Ti) to use temporarily, as this CPU doesn't use integrated graphics. But then along the same lines I also read about the i5 12600k having problems getting the integrated graphics to work in Linux. Didn't read the same for the i5 12400, but in any event I really don't need integrated graphics. Especially since my obsolete GTX 650Ti outperforms it anyway.

Last edited:
I got pretty good with Wine over the years and it rarely presents me with problems that can't be fixed in a few minutes, even wrote a few tutorials on it over the years.

That said, try Q4Wine. It seems to manage Wine pretty well and windows programs for the most part seem to open seamlessly with it.
Don't get me wrong, the latest versions of Wine have allowed a continued and stable use of Photoshop 5.5. However I'm just not taking for granted as to whether or not for some reason they change something that impacts this one piece of circa 1998 software. It always makes me wonder if I'm on borrowed time.

I mean, how many people out there are desperately clinging to software that old? I'm sure developers and manufacturers are just rolling their eyes at me. Or that I don't even exist, as I am under their radar. Oh well. As long as I can continue to run Photoshop better in Linux than Windows I'm happy.

Besides, I'm still busting up laughing over Chris Titus' YouTube presentation insisting that you cannot adequately run any Adobe software in Linux. (Maybe he meant the most current versions.) In your face, Chris. :p

Last edited:
I mean, how many people out there are desperately clinging to software that old?
I still play a game from the 80s. :D

Besides, I'm still busting up laughing over Chris Titus' YouTube presentation insisting that you cannot adequately run any Adobe software in Linux. (Maybe he meant the most current versions.) In your face, Chris. :p
Another modern day eggspurt. All Adobe software is designed specifically to run on Linux, it's entire development cycle is done in Linux (OSX) and then they make Windows compatible versions afterwards.

I ultimately decided to go with DDR4 memory and a DDR4 motherboard, recognizing that the speed differences between DDR4 and DDR5 were negligible. Bypassing any number of potential anomalies between DDR5 and motherboards, as well as saving money given the price difference.

Still, just attempting to put together a mid-range computer system is much more complex than it used to be.
I also opted out building this system using an older case, taking into consideration changes in cpu coolers that take up a bit more depth behind the motherboard than earlier coolers, as well as depth relative to how close to the edge of the case they go. My older CoolerMaster case was apparently 2 to 3 millimeters to narrow for the Noctua cpu cooler I intend to use.

So, this new PC I build will reflect 21st century standards, sans any "retromod" ideas I had. At least enough to have future options that wouldn't be impacted by past design limitations, particularly regarding computer cases.

New Threads

Top Bottom