• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dash Cam fans?

It's amazingly more visable to anything showing on my instrument panel. It's visually staggered so that it appears as if it was shown at a distance halfway down the hood of the car, but in reality it's projected on a clear plastic panel that rises up whenever the ignition is turned on. Which actually sits on top of the dashboard rather than a real HUD which requires a special type of gla$$.

It shows objects to my left and right, stop signs, speed limit signs, the speed I'm traveling at, and whether I'm too close to the vehicle in front of me if there is one.

Wow! And to think that I once had a vehicle that had a manual starter engagement button on the floor. Now everything is computer controlled. Tesla claims to have a successful self-driving car. Fighter style heads up display. Now all we need is a site in the HUD and grill mounted machine guns. Just like that, traffic problem solved.

Now all we need is a site in the HUD and grill mounted machine guns. Just like that, traffic problem solved.

Funny you should mention the machine guns. I did inquire about a passenger ejection seat and roof panel for my Mazda. Mainly for anyone who had the nerve to touch my LCD touchscreen. OCD and all. ;)

Maybe the later models might have that ejection seat. Bummer...oh well! :p

But yeah, my car has a rear camera for backing up. Why not a standard dash camera as well? Hmmmmm.

Actually Mazda in its infinite wisdom not only placed the touchscreen above the dash so your eye level is still on the road somewhat, but they also built redundant infotainment controls into both the steering column and the center console where a driver can effectively use them on feel alone. Without smearing their grimy fingerprints all over an LCD screen that can be misery to clean.

Also apart from the infotainment system are many vehicle oriented controls one uses with the LCD screen. However those are things you cannot change or access while the vehicle is in motion. Smart thinking.

Sadly despite all these fail-safe features, they won't necessarily save me from being injured or even killed by other operators of cars which had less intuitive designs in terms of safety. Some manufacturers have not given much thought to putting anything and everything that makes a car go into an infotainment screen, without having to stop the car. And many continue to put the screen lower and within the dash, below a driver's required line of site. A terrible way to enable distracted driving, IMO.

Which makes having- and using my HUD very much appreciated given that neither my eyes or my focus leaves the road in comparison. :cool:

BTW, for anyone whose car has a touchscreen/LCD, Turtle Wax's "Glass & Dash" makes for an effective and safe product for cleaning that screen and keeping it free of fingerprints, smudges and ugly spots.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom