• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dark mode

That's where the background is dark/black
and the text/words are all bright neon?

That's where the background is dark/black
and the text/words are all bright neon?

It's actually pretty mellow unless you ramp up the contrast, usually every site looks pretty reasonable with it on

Sadly it doesnt work o my cellphone, and I use it to read the forum.

Do you have a blue-light filter? I usually use one of those on mobile devices and dim the screen a lot to compensate

I haven't ever seen any dark mode that I could tolerate.

Optometrist told me and my mother when I got my first
glasses at age six, that dark backgrounds with light colored
words wouldn't be easy for me to read. This still is
correct, for me.

Did you click the little Dark Reader icon that brings up controls allowing you to attenuate the contrast ? Some people may not be aware of how to configure and customize Dark Reader. Love that feature, allowing it to appear much less harsh looking than the default settings.

My only real issue with dark mode is that it impacts my astigmatism more than a light mode. But equally I find viewing a lighter interface causes eye fatigue at a faster rate. In Linux Mint I default to Dark Reader in Firefox and Brave. I leave a light mode for Windows 10, although I seldom use Windows any more.

Last edited:
I don't have any interest in looking at colored words on a dark background.

Dark backgrounds just aren't comfortable for me.

I'm the same as @tree here, I prefer black text on a shaded background, less glare.

Interesting side note, a lesson we were taught in graphic design. 25% of caucasian males have a colour blindness that makes red text on a black background impossible to read. I experimented with this using a poorly designed business card that I printed and showing it to people in the pub. That figure seemed fairly accurate, roughly a quarter of the men I showed it to couldn't read the text and two of them said that they couldn't even see any text and it just looked like a black card.

Optometrist told me and my mother when I got my first
glasses at age six, that dark backgrounds with light colored
words wouldn't be easy for me to read. This still is
correct, for me.
This is more common than you would think. During my last in-residency I did at my university some years back (pre-Covid), we were in the middle of the semester--yet the instructors were scrambling to re-format their syllabi and all powerpoint slides to meet the requirements for a new state-wide law that had just been passed requiring all such materials to be disability accessible. This meant black text on white backgrounds only. So, while some of our slides were still creatively colored with white text (which I agree, it is horrible to read, especially at a distance), other classes were already more fully in compliance. It's a very real problem that is in some areas being taken very seriously. However, the state I now live in doesn't have those laws (I looked into it), but I will still make out my classroom material with only black text on a white background. My students will be there to learn the material, not admire the background art.

I dim my screen but it doesn't dim enough. I put the dark mode on my phone but it feels uncomfortable to do on the laptop. I know that probably doesn't make any sense, that it makes me feel uncomfortable. I do have it on night shift, though, to cut down on the blue light (so I can sleep).

This is how I have Dark Reader configured on my system. Low contrast all the way around. No neon effect. The real trick is to utilize its menu that allows you to adjust the contrast. For me, absolute #000000 black is as repulsive as #ffffff white for a background. But various shades of grey....not so much. Each to his own I suppose.

Dark Mode.jpg

My coworkers in Silicon Valley would have loved it. In most rooms withs software developers in them, everyone demanded to keep all the main ceiling lights off all the time. Everyone hated the glare...

Last edited:
In most rooms withs software developers in them, everyone demanded to keep all the main ceiling lights off all the time. Everyone hated the glare...
I have never been in an accounting dept. where the overhead lights were kept off but some of our gals like it better it that way. I always feel like I'm visiting a cave when I have to stop in.

And here I am, investing in an all-spectrum desk lamp to cure the blues...(I have no window at work). But my house is dark enough that it makes telling navy blue from black difficult.

I keep my place fairly dark and I have a low wattage warm white lamp above and behind my head, enough light to see my keyboard and not spill my coffee.

Also not particularly fond of dark mode or light text on a dark background. Almost all of my friends use dark mode on their iPhones, I intentionally do not.
But having white walls in my home stresses me out and I would prefer them to be a beige or grayish color.

No surprise to see both Microsoft (MSN) and Google (Google News) creating programming to stop extensions like Dark Reader from working. With them they want everything 100% proprietary- having it their way or the highway. :rolleyes:

If you want a dark mode, listen to me whine in several threads. All of a sudden, these forums are darker than a middle school emo edgelord.

Nope. I wouldn't be opposed to having one, mind you - as long as everyone had a choice in whether they wanted to turn it on for themselves or not.

New Threads

Top Bottom