• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Curiosity after encounter with somebody on the spectrum

Mystic34

Hi all.

I am a 24-year-old and have had some difficulties in recognizing social expectations, especially when I was younger. I am pretty sure that I would not receive a diagnosis, however I do recognize myself in some traits to a certain extent.

The reason for my registration here is that I recently met a person who I got to know through the internet who has been diagnosed with Asperger's. This experience was special to me because it was the first time that I heard a person express thoughts that I shared and deemed both important and radical / associated with social taboos or stigma. Parts of these thoughts were what made me contact the person over the internet in the first place.

I have very little interest in social interaction and smalltalk just for its own sake. I view myself as mostly introvert, yet what little amount of social interaction I do believe my mental health to require should be as honest, direct and meaningful as possible. It is tiring for me to always ask myself whether a thought I have is subject to taboos before expressing it, and I'd much rather only interact with people who are truly liberal in the sense that they do not take offense at anything that I say, except if it is bound to hurt another being physically or mentally, regardless of secondary factors that, at least theoretically, not necessarily have to exist.
At the same time, I am quite unhappy with the way we as humans are dealing with each other and other beings, always putting our benefits first (as incentivized by capitalism) and largely ignoring the needs of others. I want to change this by actively looking for open needs that I can meet, and to my surprise I felt like the person I got to know was thinking quite similarly.
Communicating personal needs clearly and directly is a trait that I have really only got to know through this person again, and believe that is also within me to some extent, although I have suppressed it out of fear of social rejection. I believe that it is part of the behavior that what I consider a more sane society should adopt, so I want to learn to do so myself again at least for now.

My goal is to connect to more humans who are sharing these sentiments. So I am primarily here to find out whether they correlate with having Asperger, and, if so, to make these connections through that.

It would be kind if you could let me know if you find your own thoughts / beliefs / opinions to deviate from the norm in similar way to mine. I do understand that I haven't exactly given specific information on what these thoughts of mine entail, and I actually plan to create a dedicated thread for this if that's okay (?), but I wanted to give a broad general idea of my intention, partly also because I wasn't sure which subforum would be appropriate for what I have in mind.

Thank you in advance! Oh, and sorry if some of my sentences make little sense; English is not my first language. (I do appreciate pointing out clear flaws in my writing!)

Hello there. It was after making an online friend with someone with Asperger's, that was the first thing that flagged up that I may have Asperger's myself.

It was a long road because back in those days info on Asperger's was scant and very much biased towards male Aspies. I also felt I fitted some traits but didn't understand the description of some other traits so presumed they did not apply, and was wrongly told that all Aspies have mensa level IQs and were super organised in every respect.

So I didn't look at it again for 15 years, although ten years ago, I tried to seek a referral for a number of problems which are red flags for Asperger's, and got fobbed off with it 'just being depression'. Then last year, I can't remember what triggered it off but I decided to look into Asperger's again. I think a combination of factors did. With all the up to date info on Asperger's, it was all so accurate for me, it could have been written especially about me. To reassure myself that I didn't have Asperger's, I did the AQ and got 44. I am now on the road to diagnosis and am in the assessment process. I am 34, so wish I would have got diagnosed earlier-my life would probably have been a lot different if I had been. But hey ho, no looking back, only looking forward.

Welcome Mystic. You may be on the spectrum. However, I am not but, I recently found that I have a lot of friends on the spectrum. I think I attract people on the spectrum because I'm not judgemental, at least on traits, but am also sensitive. Whatever the reason, many of my friends are on the spectrum and I've dated a few before I really knew they were autistic. So, regarding you, who knows.

New Threads

Top Bottom