• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Crossroads / Alone vs Company

Skids

I'll keep this as brief as i possibly can. :);)

I am diagnosed as having Aspergers but up to the last few years i've been able to live an NT life surrounded by NT's without anybody suspecting anything. I was able to work, to socialize and to plough on through life until recently i hit the proverbial burnout brick wall that seems to be so common with many people with an ASD.

I believe it has been due to 'masking' for so many years. People generally annoy me simply because most of them i encounter are either obsessed with themselves, their looks or their careers and social status and when not being, they are obsessed with others, how others look and if others have a better jobs, more money and just better 'stuff'.

I have reached the tipping point where i've found it too overwhelming and none of my beliefs, moral and strict behavioural standards (politeness / need to obey rules ) or general outlook on life seems to fit with anyone else's i meet or have met.

It all just seems alien to me. Why is everyone just so competitive, self centred and easily manipulated by others so that those amongst us with the worst of intentions and lowest moral fibre driven by greed and zero humanity prevail at the expense of those who wish a simple life to do good and to help others?

I've spent the last 15 years working in high profile animal rescue shelters in the UK caring and rehabilitating dogs, cats you name it. The reason i chose animal welfare was because in all my jobs up to that point, people were the problem. You could argue that in fact it was ME with the problem if you want to conclude that having an ASD is such.

I worked at a massive B&Q store and we'd have morning 'power meetings' where the bosses would gather us all round like a football manager would his players at half time. They would reel off sales figures / targets and for some bizarre reason they would think i was interested.

I want to tell them that i have no actual interest in how much money B&Q make. I want to do my job (which as an aspie is usually the work of two or three workers and consisting of work to the highest professional standards down the last fine detail). I want to get paid and then i want to go home.

I get an income and they get a extremely productive worker worth to them far more than the £7 an hour they were paying me.

I don't tell them because they will not understand that their company is simply a means to getting an income which is the way i see it. Also it's the way that i would presume 90% of the other staff see it who are all NT except i find it almost if not impossible to hide this deceit. I have to be blunt and honest. All the others can schmooze and go about their working day networking and trying to manipulate situations for their own gain.

Meanwhile i'm happy to talk about rock music and football and just generally have no interest in kissing anybody's arse in order to self promote.

It's like when you go for a job interview and you have to lie through your teeth about how much you love the company etc and embellish your attributes so that you can get a job. All i want to convey is that i do the job bloody well and want to get paid just like the interviewer interviewing me. If i'm genuinely interested in the type of work then that helps and you aren't lying but if it's say McDonalds then so long as you can be productive and go home at the end of the shift then does it really matter?

All of my previous jobs have been like this.

When i got a job working with animals i thought things would be different but the levels of politics, self promotion and hypocrisy amongst many staff and most managers hit me hard and now i've almost given up on humanity.

All i want is for people to do the right thing whether that means at a cost to themselves. I uncovered gross mismanagement practices impacting on animal welfare and also blatant bullying where i worked at the UK's leading canine rehoming charity about 5 years ago. The incidences were just so frequent and against my core principles that i had no choice but to resign. I stood up for doing the right thing for the dog's and the public who donated time, goods, money and trust into this charity and that meant resigning because i was in the minority of one.

As an aspie i always tell the truth and could not lie to myself so gave up an £18k a year job rehoming dogs.

This has made me bitter as i always feel i'm doing the right thing, the logical common sense thing and highlighting issues and injustice yet i'm the one who always loses out. It has led me to withdrawing from society generally and spending most of my time alone or with my partner and kid.

Is there nobody out there who puts themselves second no matter what when faced with a dilemma of doing the right thing?

Basically i just feel so alienated from people now because i judge them all (probably wrongly) of being wired up like this. Like it's a natural NT trait. I have no patience or strength left to continue 'masking', to continue pretending, to continue ignoring / tolerating incessant ignorant behaviour and utterly pointless trivial interests that most people seem to want to display on a regular basis.

However at the same time i know there ARE NT people out there who aren't just one dimensional and obsessed with posting inane photo's of their entire lives online every 5 seconds or obsessing about what some footballer's wife ate as a bushtucker trial on I'm A Celebrity. It's the process of filtering them out that has proven so tiresome and mentally and physically exhausting and i'm unsure if i've got the energy or sanity left to be able to get back out there and put on the 'brave face' once more. Especially as more and more, life and people are just so geared up to wanting more and more, becoming more and more demanding and selfish and more and more disconnected from one another on a human level, despite living in an age of instant communication saturation.

I can hang onto the fact that both of my best mates are NT and although they have traits that i find undesirable, these traits aren't that difficult to overlook and the sense of humour we share and the positive honesty and happiness in being our complete selves at all times makes it work.

I know that if i withdraw and become more isolated then the co-morbid mental health symptoms i've developed due to becoming overwhelmed by stress over time such as anxiety, panic attacks etc these will worsen. On top of that i will find life less stimulating.

I do like social company but on my terms and only then if the people i'm with aren't either total arseholes or don't have the intelligence of a bag of cement. Other than that i'm a friendly bloke who has been able to hold his own in an NT world despite it coming at huge health costs.

If i can somehow find a way of managing better the social landscape of the world and my inevitable feelings in a way that i can better tolerate the people that i instantly dislike then i might be able to get some confidence back and see a point to making all that effort again.

If i can't then i have to face a life of solitude, isolation, apathy and loneliness and that in itself seems as much as appealing as having to deal with the obnoxious work colleague who is forever going on about how many women he's been with and who spends about 6 weeks locked in the bathroom with various male grooming products.

In saying all of this i am fully aware that i have been fortunate enough to be able to live a life where i have been able to fit in and that isn't the case for many people with ASD and so i'm just putting my story across to you, i don't wish to appear selfish or insensitive to others by doing so.

I guess i'm at a crossroads as to which way i would like my life to go. I'm not happy around people and i'm not happy on my own so it's really difficult to decide. I guess the easy option is to do nothing and i'll be spending most of the time on my own by default but that doesn't feel right somehow.

Maybe i've answered my own question after all that.

Hey, if you're still reading then thanks for that. I know it was a long post and for some reason most people nowadays feel compelled to communicate in less than two sentences so thanks for hanging in there.

I did say i'd try and keep it short. What can i say? Other than i failed.

Thanks again for reading!

Last edited:
I read your post with great interest, as I have also recently come to a crossroads in my life. Don't worry about the long post. Lots of people here (including me) make lengthy posts. What makes it ok is that it's not full of typos, spelling mistakes, and grammatical errors which characterises the way NTs usually communicate.

You have done well to navigate in the NT world for this long. I have recently had a similar experience and now I am on my own pretty much all the time, and I wouldn't advise it. Even having to deal with people I didn't particularly like was, in some ways, better than the complete loneliness and isolation of always being alone. If you have two good NT friends, and a partner and a child as well, that's fantastic. Even one friend is infinitely better than none at all. If you do decide to withdraw, as I did (though I didn't strictly decide to do so; withdrawal at that point was my only option), it won't be easy to get back out into the world.

Hi dragoncat16 and thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear of your challenges with ASD. Up until recently i didn't even know i had ASD but i knew and felt deep down that i was different from most people. It's not been a surprise to me, the diagnosis.

I'm at the point now where i'm starting to get the brain fog and just general fatigue and apathy. When i was working it was stress hell but at least i was on my feet and active and engaging. Now i'm just eating, drinking alcohol a lot and accepting that the world has ground me down.

Not in a depressive way but more acceptance that if i'm different and have spent the last 25 years of my life in endless conflict with myself and others due to the way i think and the way i expect others to behave then maybe it's simply time to accept this. I cannot change other people. Can i change myself is the other question? Do i WANT to change myself? Another question? More importantly for me, SHOULD i change myself? WHY should i change myself?

If i am to fit into the world and open up opportunities and possibilities then i think i have to. I don't have any tangible interest that i excel in that i can turn into income. I can name all the football league grounds and non league grounds in the UK but that's not going to get me far in life. Ironically it is my obsession with football that has enabled me to fit in with society generally as football is popular and people like to go on about it.

I am in pretty much exactly the same situation (I was only recently diagnosed as well), except that I don't have knowledge of anything that other people find interesting, as you do with football, so there's no opportunity for me to interact there.

I don't think it's possible to change yourself. You can put on a persona for the benefit of others, but that's not the same as actually changing yourself.

I don't know what the solution is. You can't change yourself, but you also can't expect others to change. I guess the only thing is to do the best you can with what you have. Just make sure you don't alienate the people in your life. You will never understand the value of a friend until you don't have any.

I have pulled back greatly. Lots of disappointments, abuse, etc. I am now rather unsavoury and feel it. Don't want to infringe. It is a bad feeling to be around people with no higher vision but it is even WORSE to be rejected by people who hardly have a deep thought beyond their facebook feed. And those who do, after age 40, are all into their sh** anyway.

Welcome Skids,

Have worked in several shelters myself as a volunteer over the years. Found it so difficult, they were 'kill' shelters with no thought for any animals except the young ones. Re-homing animals was not even considered, until the 1990's. And we used to scramble around attempting to find homes. It was horribly depressing at times, and it was as much as I could do to go to the facility. Later I worked in conjunction with several real shelters, and mainly cats in catch, neuter and release and re-homing. I'm still involved in a personal way in the area I live in.

The politics were similar to the the ones you detail. And thinking back, most of the people who were devoted to the animals, were aspies. Several members on this site, Fitzo and Were Bear and Destination Unknown and Toothless and Streetwise have done similar things throughout their lives. Think the numbers of people here who connect to animals, is much higher than any other sites I've encountered online. Except of course actual adoption sites for animals.

Have also lived an N/T working life, and retired at fifty-five without really comprehending at the time my reasons for doing so. I simply wanted nothing to do with people and situations that I encountered much of the time. And after years of PTSD, I finally was able to dampen down the anxiety and stress associated with that world. It definitely exacts a toll on us, living that other 'pretend' life in which we cannot be who we actually are. Children for example who are exposed to high levels of anxiety, have a higher chance of depression as adults.

One of the things I've discovered over the years, is that many aspies act in a manner that N/T's who are slightly insecure would interpret as 'superior.' We don't join in, or become involved in certain things that we deign superficial or silly or dumb. We hold ourselves back, remain on the periphery watching the silly going's on. Think that we may be too quick to judge from our higher perches where we've placed ourselves over time as a result of being shunned to a certain extent. Understand for example, that my own biological family felt that way about me. One of their favourite sayings was; "If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?" I never replied to these statements, as one is not associated with the other much of the time.

Penelope Trunk did write at one point, that Aspies only need one friend. Do have a few friends left, but they in no way are in my life all the time. Isn't having a certain amount of friends a social construct? A way for the social mores of society to keep an eye on you? I say, choose what makes you the least annoyed.

Thanks Mia. It looks like being on the AS will always lead to a life fraught with challenges and difficulties. I can relate to the mentioning of 'not joining in'. The worst things to endure are those totally excruciating 'team bonding' exercises that some employers insist on doing with their employees. I found these silly and dumb. Everyone running around in a field trying to solve puzzles, work together and bond.

I'll decide whether i like someone not my employer. I'll decide in my own time whether i will be compatible with another or not, not my employer. I'm not 5 years old. This approach makes me come across as above everyone else or stubborn or difficult but in fact it is none of these. I simply find it puerile and disengaging.

I was very interested to hear about the animal friendly people on here that you mention including yourself. Yes, i became disillusioned with a few places i worked at. One dog charity in particular had money coming out of every pore. There were brand new vans lying unused for months on end, electric recharching sockets built into new centres so the corporate guests and management could charge their free electric company vehicles when working or visiting. The sheer waste of money and clever disguise of an unstoppable corporate juggernaut masquerading as a caring dog rehoming charity didn't fool me and i walked. I found it sickening and wanted no part of it.

I find myself at home with the more homely, smaller independent rehoming shelters where they are run by really genuine and caring animal lovers often at their own expense. Here it is they that put money in and not take money out like at the other place i worked at. The public did that for them on their behalf thanks to incessant aggressive marketing campaigns.

I'm an NT (pretty sure anyway) but have NEVER wanted or had a lot of friends- have always just had a very few really close friends (2-3) and otherwise had no desire to be around others or to socialize because of the silly and superficial nature of most social gatherings. Your values sound good and I'd hate to see you try to change yourself into something you aren't. You might "fit in" but sounds like you'd be miserable. For me, the most valuable thing in life are the relationships we have- with ourselves and others who we connect with and accept on a deeper and caring level. As I age, these relationships become more and more important and things less and less so. I do always encourage others to try new activities as I think that is one way to find one's passions in life: if I hadn't tried scuba diving (much as I was afraid I'd panic) I would never have discovered my passion for marine life. I'd hate to imagine a life without some sort of passion (whatever floats your boat). I am truly sorry that so many Aspies have had a bad experience with NTs- as far as I'm concerned all deserve respect and equal treatment.

The last four words you typed are exactly the reasons why i feel the way i do. Respect and equal treatment is all i've ever asked from the NT world but rarely received.

I don't care about how different any of us are from each other but every one of us alive deserves the two things above and many people aren't able to deliver this for some reason.

Thanks for your post Lucy Purrs. I agree with what you say about treasuring the people and the relationships we do have.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of ignorant and stupid people in this world. I struggle with this just like I struggle with the fact that the world isn't fair. I was brought up in a family where we believed in fairness and equality. I have spent my life trying to overcome the realization that this is not reality. At 71, I am still upset that my parents mislead me but I know in their hearts they wanted the world to be fair and all to be treated equally and justly and with kindness. Oh well.

Skids I can also really relate to just about everything you've said. As Mia mentioned I have been involved with animal welfare organizations for many years too. I love working with the animals but I often struggle with the management as well. I don't know what it is about the people who get to those management roles, but they seem to forget why they were drawn to animal welfare in the first place. Once they get a bit of power it seems to go to their heads and becomes more about them than the animals. And woe betide anyone who dares to question!

These days I volunteer at a koala rescue centre and I just care for the animals and go home. I think because we are usually diligent, reliable and smart, people always want to give us more responsibility. Once I always took on additional roles because at heart I'm quite ambitious and was flattered to be asked, but I've learned the error of my ways. These days I just do what I enjoy and go home. And don't start telling me about what so-and-so did the other day because I don't want to know.

I too have worked in sales and know exactly what you mean about the team building and motivation BS that companies go on with these days. I found it pure torture. Thankfully I have now retired from the workforce and that's one less stress factor to deal with.

Nevertheless I'm constantly angered by the greed, cruelty, and inhumanity that is going on in the world and it can really get me down. For the sake of my mental health I try to filter a lot of it out where I can these days. I don't watch the news much, I don't watch stories I know will wind me up and I don't read emails if I think the subject matter will upset me. I don't care any less but it's just self preservation.
I have decided to just support causes I feel most strongly about and let the rest go. For example I make a monthly contribution to Animals Australia because they do such great work exposing cruelty and exploitation in all areas of animal welfare and I feel that covers my financial responsibilities toward saving and protecting animal lives.

Unfortunately the world is run by people who are motivated by greed and power and that's not likely to change anytime soon. I will always do what I can to assist change but I have narrowed my focus to a level I can deal with.

New Threads

Top Bottom