• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Creepy Crawlers

If you want black widows, hang around on my back porch for awhile, they seem to like it there.

Uh, thanks, but I think I have enough on hand as it is. The campus on which I work is infested with them. One has to be very careful when entering a pump room, generator room, supply vault, etc. They don't pay me enough to deal with that sort of thing. I'm thinking about buying a rig like john Goodman used in "Arachnophobia."

Flying creepy crawlies freak me out!! I hate any bug that flies but I do not mind spiders. Moths and big dragonflies are the freakiest!!!

Flying creepy crawlies freak me out!! I hate any bug that flies but I do not mind spiders. Moths and big dragonflies are the freakiest!!!

We have dragonflies here, which I actually enjoy seeing. The only flying ones I hate (besides flies) are the ones that sting like red wasps, hornets, etc. Let's form an alliance. I'll kill those that fly and you can kill those that crawl on eight legs.:)

Being in the desert we have rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, brown recluse spiders, and other nasty insects. At least the scorpions are the less venomous ones.

Snow Fleas

They aren't fleas; they eat plant material, not blood.
They are about this size...The size of those dots...
They are easiest to see in late winter when the snow is warm & melt-ish.
They are easiest to hear in the woods in the fall when they are hopping around in the dry leaves on the ground.
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/snow_flea.htm

The photographs are so enlarged, I'd rather you think of them first as being the
size of the dots...before seeing them huge.:eek:

Last edited:
We have giant house spiders, Hobo spiders, brown recluse spiders, and garter snakes.

Hobo spiders are especially nasty customers. The venom from their bites actually dissolves skin. Many people have had to had limbs amputated, because they didn't seek treatment in time.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431027375.775208.jpg

We have many of the usual, as our house is in the woods along a stream. But what has fascinated me most are the red and black ants that live in and around our yard. These are bigger ones and are in an endless cycle of raid and war. But there is not a lot of fighting for the red are slaver ants that raid the black for their eggs. These they bring back to their nest and raise to work for them. The reds are also migratory and once a year or so form a long column and move everything to a new site. They carry the eggs and pupae and even their full grown slaves. I watched one drop a slave once and the slave hid under a leaf. The red hunted her down however and picked her up over her head and headed off to the new nest site.

We have many of the usual, as our house is in the woods along a stream. But what has fascinated me most are the red and black ants that live in and around our yard. These are bigger ones and are in an endless cycle of raid and war. But there is not a lot of fighting for the red are slaver ants that raid the black for their eggs. These they bring back to their nest and raise to work for them. The reds are also migratory and once a year or so form a long column and move everything to a new site. They carry the eggs and pupae and even their full grown slaves. I watched one drop a slave once and the slave hid under a leaf. The red hunted her down however and picked her up over her head and headed off to the new nest site.

Do ever see them fly?
I used to keep track of when the ones from the hill in my yard came out to fly away to mate.

Do ever see them fly?
I used to keep track of when the ones from the hill in my yard came out to fly away to mate.

Yes, but I haven't seen these do it often. I can't remember if it is in spring or the end of summer. I have seen the smaller black ants also in the yard do the mating flight more often.

In our house we have a infestation of Chihuahuas. Does that count?

New Threads

Top Bottom