• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Craving recognition, then hating the praise?

I like recognition.

Praise confuses me for some reason, as I suspect it does many of us in this community.

Though I do sometimes wonder if it simply comes down to living a life where in most cases we tend to accrue more ire than praise. Could it be that simple? I'm not sure... :confused:

I have worked in jobs that generate a lot of praise. Take hospice nurse, for example. We are often compared to angels. In my current work I can guide people through crises when no one else can help or knows what to do. People can be effusive in their praise.

What I have worked through is this: I am blessed/fortunate to have skills I can use to help people. It is not my own doing, it came from wherever these things come from.

So I can say is the following: I am glad I could help you. Or: It is a blessing to me also to be able to help.

Simpler or more formal: It was my pleasure. Anytime. Happy to help.

The key for me was figuring out that my gift in helping others is a gift to me, to be used and valued. It doesn’t mean I’m special, or unique or something really super. It just is.

When I consider the things I do well as gifts, I can join others in appreciating them without me becoming central.

I enjoy demonstrating my skills and abilities. I have received scant praise, but I do not dislike the recognition for work well done.

New Threads

Top Bottom