• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping when under pressure

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
How do you cope when under pressure? Do you break down (in terms of functioning) when you are constantly told to hurry up or being rushed?

The more I am rushed, the slower I end up going.

I totally agree with you. Generally, I can accomplish more than my peers, but if I'm rushed or my pattern/routine is disrupted it completely ruins my efficiency.

To cope, I do a few different things. First I try to start (say work) earlier or stay later, when it is usually quieter and easier to concentrate. I also try to keep myself in check by keeping my "to-do" list rather small...I find it easier to cope with adding to my list later than not having accomplished what was on the list and having to carry it over. I also try to routine anything I can...I even try to set aside a routine time to handle unexpected things so I don't feel these items are interfering with my plans. I have found that it take some time and stress, but I can usually train the people around me to know that I will do things like return email and call them back etc., but only at specific times. Lastly, I try to keep two things in mind everyday and share these sayings with people I know...1) I'm not in the medical field so nothing you bring to me is a life or death emergency. 2) No matter how badly my day is going it will eventually come to an end.

1) I'm not in the medical field so nothing you bring to me is a life or death emergency.
2) No matter how badly my day is going it will eventually come to an end.

Those are brilliant!

I've been surprised at times when I've been able to cope under a considerable amount of pressure but that doesn't mean I'm not glad when it's over. :lol2:

I've been coping under so much pressure in life and on other sites, that I don't know how I'm able to hold myself together as well as I have. There's the odd moment that I'm home, alone that I'll break down and than I tell myself that I've got to get through the rest of the year. I remind myself that everybody is struggling with one thing or another, and I just keep pushing through. It's hard, but I've got to do it.:(

I don't respond to being rushed well. If we are leaving for the grocery store, and my partner is telling me to hurry up, I will leave the house without my wallet, or keys or set the alarm, but forget to lock the door. Unfortunately i am not good at staying organized, so I am often trying to get all my stuff ready at the last moment, plus I get distracted easily which makes me even later, and more rushed. I have not gone to events I wanted to go to, just because I was running late and getting stressed out, and having a hard time concentrating on getting ready. A lot of times I will leave so early that I am waiting around. Last night I went to the meeting of my local bike organization, I got there at 6:55, when the clock turned 7:02 I was convinced I read the date or location wrong and was just about to leave. I was wondering if they had changed it and I missed the email or something. The first person who came in is a very nice guy, and I think he could tell I was concerned that no one else was there on time. He made a joke about how they are always running late.
I can survive under intense pressure, but I am going to pay for it when it's over. Aside from being physically draining, it takes a mental and emotional toll on me. Afterwards I will feel numb, and need to do something quiet and mindless. I need to be alone, or at least left alone.

I don't respond extremely well to pressure at all. I am especially bad with that when I am at work. When I know that something needs to be done, and fast, that is when I have a tendency to make mistakes. I also don't like when I have strict requirements I need to follow because I concentrate more on what the requirements are and not the quality of the work. If I'm given work and not given a lot of demands, I will still get the work done fairly fast and it will most likely be of better quality.

I'm terrible under pressure at work, but for some reason when I travel and am under more stress I don't mind it as much. Helps that I like travel and dislike work LOL

Much worse is the pressure in the long run.
Example: Pressure to be social, pressure to make money, get a job, establish a career.

These things constantly torment me. A good thing is having somethings that can recharge me, like video-games, a book, music, etc.

I often wonder if having a regular, tolerable job would relieve most of my stress. But then I think of all the obstacles of just looking for work which seems to equate to even more stress. So I default to what I'm doing...trying to survive on my own Aspie resources. Where all I have to really worry about is survival.

Yes my friends...it all constantly torments me as well. So I live each day one at a time. I think of the Serenity Prayer a lot.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I often wonder if having a regular, tolerable job would relieve most of my stress. But then I think of all the obstacles of just looking for work which seems to equate to even more stress. So I default to what I'm doing...trying to survive on my own Aspie resources. Where all I have to really worry about is survival.

I've tried that route... not neccesarily because I had this aspie label to haul around though (since it was well before I got my diagnosis). But I found that the difficulties I had in school might hold up a good comparison when joining the "regular" workforce and getting a job, even if it would be for a year or so, and eventually returning back to education.

That fell flat on it's face, even though I kept a job for a reasonable amount of time (about 18 months). I was in therapy during my stint in employment since I couldn't deal with a lot of stuff that comes in during employment, and I'm not even talking "job security" since it was a job by a temp agency, thus I was somewhat prepared (and I was also prepared to visit social services for welfare if neccesary). Back then I also had options and I was still elligible for college loans to attempt university a last time if this "job thing" didn't work out.

That all being said, the one job I held for a long time, I didn't even have a formal job interview for. I went to a temp agency during the summer months and told them "I'm attending university, and I need a job through the holidays".. and that's how I got to some company who told me they'd need employees for the foreseeable future and thus I decided to give up a year of potential education for a year of employment. Perhaps I should add, that the one year I was able to hold a job was around 2007/2008, which (at least overhere) was a period of economic growth and an all-time low in unemployment. Makes me wonder if they kept me around no matter how bad I did my job... as long as I showed up and did something halfway decent. I remember there was a lot of extra hours because they just couldn't find more people to hire

The stress with finding a job I've went through though, just for a short period though, since I got back to school and when I dropped out again, I kinda got to social services right away, saw a therapist already and that's kinda how it has been on and off for the past 24+ months.

Last edited:
I don't respond to being rushed well. If we are leaving for the grocery store, and my partner is telling me to hurry up, I will leave the house without my wallet, or keys or set the alarm, but forget to lock the door. Unfortunately i am not good at staying organized, so I am often trying to get all my stuff ready at the last moment, plus I get distracted easily which makes me even later, and more rushed. I have not gone to events I wanted to go to, just because I was running late and getting stressed out, and having a hard time concentrating on getting ready. A lot of times I will leave so early that I am waiting around. Last night I went to the meeting of my local bike organization, I got there at 6:55, when the clock turned 7:02 I was convinced I read the date or location wrong and was just about to leave. I was wondering if they had changed it and I missed the email or something. The first person who came in is a very nice guy, and I think he could tell I was concerned that no one else was there on time. He made a joke about how they are always running late.
I can survive under intense pressure, but I am going to pay for it when it's over. Aside from being physically draining, it takes a mental and emotional toll on me. Afterwards I will feel numb, and need to do something quiet and mindless. I need to be alone, or at least left alone.

That's me exactly! I don't do well being rushed.

Or another situation, I might be in the middle of a very complicated priority project, one that requires me to concentrate, and yet I will be asked to assist another coworker who is struggling with her project to the point where I am interrupted every so many minutes. She can't get her work done and neither can I. Then they wonder why they have quality issues!

New Threads

Top Bottom