• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Considering another dog.

I've also been considering that I would like a dog that I can train, from early on. So young enough that I won't have to deal with bad habits, such as barking.

Wire hair dachshund are barkers, you can't train them to not bark. If you cannot even straighten out behavioral issues with an easy breed from the shelter then raising a wire hair from puppy is not going to work out.

The Dachshund is a working animal, not a toy breed or lap dog. They are extremely energetic (the wire hair more so than the smooth coat, I personally do not have experience with long coat) and you have to keep them busy for most of the day. You already stated that this is exactly the kind of dog you are not looking for in your opening post.

Have you looked at Petfinder.com? I used that or Adoptapet, can't remember which, for one of mine and really liked the selection available. (I had this weird idea that my Chihuahuas might get along better if they all had the same coloration - it didn't work :D )

Adoptapet only seems to be in US but Petfinder site says it services all North America, including Canada.

Wow. Just wow. I am not sure which is worse, the breeder being an animal torturer or you still considering to buy a dog from such a person.

The breeder is a puppy mill just in it for the money, did you not know this before I spelled it out for you? The breeder is similar to you, choosing a breed based on what would be the most beneficial for him rather than a breed that he would actually be able to handle. They bark so much he tortures them to keep them from barking. HELLO?! HELLO?! Are you awake?! The only reason you are still considering buying a dog from this animal abuser is "OMG Cute wire hair Dachshund!". If it was me I would bring some friends with baseball bats and make sure the breeder would never "Bark" again.

You state you have experience with "difficult" breeds and yet you are wasting your time with this horror of a breeder. Apart from the whole temperament and the fact that they are working dogs, the Dachshund as a breed has a large number of health issues, making an extremely knowledgeable breeder a requirement. Unfortunately the breed is extremely popular among clueless people such as yourself so there are many puppy mills that breed and sell dogs with genetic flaws worsening the breeds health and the dogs' well-being.

You started this thread with a list of very difficult to meet requirements, and after many suggestions you settle on one of the worst possible breeds for you based on what you asked for. It's not so much that they need a lot of walking, but they are intelligent and stubborn, a very bad combination for anyone that's looking for a perfect dog to fill the mold that they are looking for. With a Dachshund you might as well expect fire and brimstone, with any list of demands this breed is just going to be a huge pain. They get bored very easily and this combined with stubbornness makes them very destructive dogs. At least a breed like a German Shepherd loves to follow commands. The only expectation a Dachshund can fulfill is hunting, which is what they were bred for. You don't want to groom a dog or brush their hair, but I'd rather brush a dog for a few hours every day than to keep a Dachshund entertained. If you are home all day to babysit and like long walks in the forest they fit your lifestyle but otherwise they are hard to keep happy and out of the foundation of your house (Yes this actually happens).

So let me put it here again. It's one of the worst breeds when it comes to barking. They'll do this when they are bored, when they hear a noise, when you come home, when you leave, when they hear some kids outside. The slightest noise will make them bark. You cannot train a dog to stop barking, which is why the breeder tortures his dogs.

Wow. Just wow. I am not sure which is worse, the breeder being an animal torturer or you still considering to buy a dog from such a person.

It's not uncommon in the area I live in. I've encountered this before with locals who think dogs are robots who must fulfill their every command. My consideration is that the dog will have a far better life with me than most anyone else here. I've seen several jack russell's who seem to have no energy and don't act normally at all, as if their spirits have been broken. I've seen really terrible owners, who hit or punch or kick dogs, or use a choke chain improperly, as if it were a normal thing to do. I've also done several interventions, rescues and found good homes for some. They seem to know little about care or proper training, the province is home to many puppy mills. Where animals are expendable and often badly cared for in rural settings.

The breeder is a puppy mill just in it for the money, did you not know this before I spelled it out for you? The breeder is similar to you, choosing a breed based on what would be the most beneficial for him rather than a breed that he would actually be able to handle. They bark so much he tortures them to keep them from barking. HELLO?! HELLO?! Are you awake?! The only reason you are still considering buying a dog from this animal abuser is "OMG Cute wire hair Dachshund!". If it was me I would bring some friends with baseball bats and make sure the breeder would never "Bark" again.

He's actually in it, to win ribbons in shows. So he can charge more for his puppies. I'm well aware of this. And, it's not unusual here. Doesn't mean I agree with it at all. I would have to take a baseball bat, to pretty much most breeders in this area. Again I'm thinking in terms of 'saving' a puppy from a difficult life more than anything else. And I'm not thinking cute, most puppies are cute anyway. It doesn't so much matter.

You started this thread with a list of very difficult to meet requirements, and after many suggestions you settle on one of the worst possible breeds for you based on what you asked for. It's not so much that they need a lot of walking, but they are intelligent and stubborn, a very bad combination for anyone that's looking for a perfect dog to fill the mold that they are looking for. With a Dachshund you might as well expect fire and brimstone, with any list of demands this breed is just going to be a huge pain. They get bored very easily and this combined with stubbornness makes them very destructive dogs.

I've not settled on this breed. I'm going to visit their home, and see what kind of circumstances they are in. It may become more like a rescue operation if it comes to that. I don't think you can tailor make a dog to fit your expectations, and initially I did have requirements that were stringent. But many of them, I can't fulfill, I would have to import a dog from somewhere else. And I would rather buy or adopt locally.

As for the intelligent and stubborn, that's exactly our first dog. I like that. And another friend's dog who I raised with my own dog for many months out of year, for many years. I like fire and brimstone. As for destruction, it's happened before, many times with dogs. I don't value 'stuff' as much as living creatures. I managed a great deal of joy with both those dogs and I think they had good, fun, and long and relatively healthy lives.

Last edited:
I like intelligent and stubborn.
In two legged or four legged beings :)

There's an option to train a dog to bark on command.
(it's used in Shutzhund training)
there'll be a command to begin barking and also a command to STOP barking.
... just an idea? :)

that bark is a form of communication, whatever the reason behind it.

Over the years I've wondered if a dogs incessant barking could be likened to a stim?
High level of arousal = barking as a form of release?

some dogs chase their own tails around and around in circles, some dogs bark, some dogs dig or chew.
it's all a certain level of arousal.
you'd be quite right @Mia in your idea of redirection.

I'm led to believe; if what I've read is correct,
Dachshunds are good with scent.
- this makes sense to me with their noses being so low to the ground.

There are many and varied 'Brain Games' ideas on many websites that promote the dogs natural ability to use its nose.
(this also fulfils and tires the dog more than miles of hiking)

intelligent dogs, just like intelligent people, require some way of using their brains or become bored and frustrated.

Whatever breed of dog you choose Mia,
there'll always be ways and means of fulfilling the breed characteristics if you're creative enough and willing to put some effort in.

If you're already aware that Dachshunds have tendencies to bark when aroused, enjoy scent work, have an intelligence that could be used to your advantage (training)
and you're willing to accept and work with those traits,

then you're already part way to meeting the challenge of sharing your space, home and life with a Dachshund :)

that bark is a form of communication, whatever the reason behind it.
Over the years I've wondered if a dogs incessant barking could be likened to a stim?
High level of arousal = barking as a form of release?

It may well be. Once in a clearing in a forest my dog barked for twenty minutes at a tiny fir tree. They he faced north and barked more, then south. He truly enjoyed barking.

He barked for hours at ocean waves. I think he may have either wanted to terrify the waves or to stop them from moving. He barked at inebriated people and he barked at people who wore large hats. At a moose from inside a canoe, a pair of fishing martens, waterfowl and once a large black bear while running away.

All for different reasons I expect. The fir tree bark was a delirious happy one. The moose was a warning bark, the martens an excited one, and the waterfowl were a fun bark as he practically danced on the shore of the lake. The bear was a true staccato warning bark as he and the cat ran back inside the cabin.

My old Dobermann barely made a sound.
A silent shadow.

He would 'gruff' or 'huff' if we (humans) needed to pay attention to something he could hear and we couldn't.

As you could probably imagine, when he did actually bark it came from his boots and he meant business.
- raised the hairs on the back of my neck !

The only exception to this was being exposed to fireworks.

when in the house and they were going off outside, he didn't bat an eyelid.

if we were out walking and were subject to some random, private celebratory display of fireworks overhead,

he'd square up on tip toes and bark at the bangs and colours against the night sky.

He'd bark so enthusiastically he'd actually bounce backwards with each woof :D

My consideration is that the dog will have a far better life with me than most anyone else here.

Again I'm thinking in terms of 'saving' a puppy from a difficult life more than anything else.

If you want to do that then the only option is to adopt a pet for free or from a shelter that charges a small fee (usually for vaccinations, care, etc). Buying any dog will always support the industry that sees them as objects. Putting money into this by "saving" a dog from a breeder is sustaining this system of animal abuse. The best decision you can make to "save" dogs is to not give these malicious breeders any money.

It's either shelter or a reputable breeder that cares about the dogs, there is no other ethical choice in this manner. Even if you have to go out of state, it's better than to spend any money on a dog from a malicious breeder.

EDIT:
It also does not have to be a shelter. There are plenty of "dog saving" families that you could really help out by adopting a dog. There might be a local one not too far away, try searching the internet. Some of them even run a full charity and all. There are a lot of ways you can help save a dogs life.

That's something about Yorkies I always appreciated. Their coat doesn't shed and tends to be hypo-allergenic. I love the disposition of pugs too...but good grief..they shed year round! Ack!
Hi Judge. I know this is an old post, but you mentioned about Vizslas in this thread and I’m thinking a lot lately about having one in future. My question is, do they shred? Anyone can answer this, I don’t mind. If so, is it very little or none at all? I’m glad to read they don’t smell.

Hi Judge. I know this is an old post, but you mentioned about Vizslas in this thread and I’m thinking a lot lately about having one in future. My question is, do they shred? Anyone can answer this, I don’t mind. If so, is it very little or none at all? I’m glad to read they don’t smell.

I knew someone in my childhood who had a Vizsla. It's true...very short coat that neither sheds or smells. But Yorkies are more fun IMO. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom