• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Considering another dog.

Mia

V.I.P Member
Thinking about a dog for myself and my husband who needs to get out and exercise. I'll either go to a CKC breeder or I'll adopt from a shelter.

The way the dog looks doesn't matter. My only specifications are that they are not too energetic, like a Border Collie or a Jack Russell (although I love terriers) and don't require daily grooming. A medium sized dog male or female that I can pick up in a emergency if necessary.

What would you recommend?

Last edited:
Dogs are great. I think you should pay a visit to the shelter and see if you can't identify a dog that is just all-around loving and smart. The people at the shelter can help you. I've always preferred one-of-a-kind dogs. Mixed-breed dogs seem to be less programmed and offer a unique personality.

For me, those antics, their fun and their closeness trump all other concerns. :)

Truth is, most purebred dogs have any number of possible health considerations. Some fewer, some more, but also some that are lethal such as pancreatitis and bloat (gastric torsion). With some breeds experiencing a much shorter lifespan as a result. Though for me personally, the toughest aspect remains that they all eventually die.

Dogs with flat faces (brachycephalic) tend to have inherent breathing issues. Rescue dogs may or may not involve specific breeds, though what can be problematic is their usual lack of information pertinent to their long term disposition and health. Dogs with longer coats require more routine care, though if you keep them in a "puppy-cut" year round this can diminish the care usually required. Some of them may even have hypo-allergic coats...always a plus.

Yeah, if you don't want an energetic pooch it's pretty clear that the herding breed is out. Some great dogs in that group though. LOL...my cousin's dog is a Border-Jack. Indeed, she needs to be exercised by the hour. But she's also a dear, fun and affectionate friend.

Last edited:
Dogs with longer coats require more routine care, though if you keep them in a "puppy-cut" year round this can diminish the care usually required.
Yeah, if you don't want an energetic pooch it's pretty clear that the herding breed is out.

Fine with an energetic dog, but not a dog that bounces off the walls. A dog who would be happy with two walks per day would work. Knew a border collie who had so much energy that even after four walks per day she still chewed an entire wooden bench to slivers.

Last edited:
Living where I do, and walking and training in below zero temperatures would require a hardy dog with a good coat that will keep them warm. That's why I like the working breeds that adapt well in this northern climate. I've only ever known working breeds of dogs.

A small breed would not be able to stand up to the snow and would be constantly cold with balls of snow on their paws and belly from being walked and from playing outside. Although my spaniel was adapted to the cold, she picked up snowballs everywhere. Her paws constantly had impacted snow, which was picked up by the hair between her paws.

Fine with an energetic dog, but not a dog that bounces off the walls. A dog who would be happy with two walks per day would work. Knew a border collie who had so much energy that even after four walks per day she still chewed an entire wooden bench to slivers.

In the winter here in the high desert I see any number of dogs wearing covers over their paws...plus sweaters. But yeah, those dogs with minimal coats still suffer in extremely cold climates.

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Dog Boots & Paw Protectors

Don't know how I feel about sweaters on dogs.

Here it's more of a concern for smaller dogs, though I see medium sized dogs wearing them too. Of course the are breeds that are inherently more adaptable to cold weather. In your case I'd think that would merit a lot of thought.

My cousin used to have a german sheperd/husky mix. Nice disposition, though she died of pancreatitis. Had no problem in the snow though. Beautiful dog, too. All white coat.

Maybe you might look at some of the German Spitz breeds. Another dog my cousin had (technically an American Eskimo). Did well in the winter for sure. Thick coat, but didn't need a lot of attention other than a lion-cut in the summer. She died recently though the vets never determined what the cause actually was.

Last edited:
The dogs in the area are mainly larger breeds. German shepherds, huskies, labrador's, there are standard poodles, labradoodles, a german short-haired pointer, a nova scotia duck tolling retriever, bernese, great pyrenees and a malamute. Some are hunting dogs as well as pets.

I'm not particularly fond of dogs that stink. Many huskies are smelly when wet or damp. I don't want a breed that smells that I can't give a bath to, that's over sixty pounds. It would be much to difficult to bathe them. And dogs do get stinky.

Are you familiar with the Hungarian Vizsla? Nice breed. A boyhood friend had one. Great dog. Also one of the breeds that smells the least. LOL..just recalled that my other cousin had a Vizsla as well. My male Yorkie used to terrorize him. :p

Size doesn't matter to Yorkies. Besides, they think they're people. :cool:

Are you familiar with the Hungarian Vizsla? Nice breed. A boyhood friend had one. Great dog.

Gorgeous dog, that beautiful reddish-brown coat was a wonder to see when it shone in the sun. Good dogs, this one was a hunting dog but smaller than you would think. Possibly forty pounds at the time.

Vizsla-1.jpg

Last edited:
I am, my best friend had one. Gorgeous dog, that beautiful reddish-brown coat was a wonder to see when it shone in the sun. Good dogs, this one was a hunting dog but smaller than you would think. Possibly forty pounds at the time.

View attachment 48659

Yes, perhaps more manageable in size for what you are looking for. Only learned about their lack of smell recently...I believe on an episode of "Dogs 101". Very low maintenance in terms of their coat.

Didn't know that they didn't smell. I don't mind a little smelly, most dogs do have some scent. It's the double coated breeds that seem to smell the most though. And they require quite a bit of grooming with those double coats when they shed in the spring. Then you practically have to live with their hair all over the place.

Last edited:
Chihuahua/Chi Mix and Pits/Pit Mixes are the most numerous in shelters. I like the Chihuahuas for ease of maintenance, easy to pick up, big personalities, long living.

Didn't know that they didn't smell. I don't mind a little smelly, most dogs do have some scent. It's the double coated breeds that seem to smell the most though. And they require quite a bit of grooming with those double coats when they shed in the spring. Then you practically have to live with their hair all over the place.

That's something about Yorkies I always appreciated. Their coat doesn't shed and tends to be hypo-allergenic. I love the disposition of pugs too...but good grief..they shed year round! Ack!

English Bull Terrier - not small, not big, just right. General Patton owned one and they're nasty-faced.

I like Bullies Sportster, they are a powerful dog. You need a steady hand with them, and firm training with the larger terriers. So I'm not sure that the dog would do so well without a winter coat. It's a possibly though.

Last edited:
Chihuahua/Chi Mix and Pits/Pit Mixes are the most numerous in shelters. I like the Chihuahuas for ease of maintenance, easy to pick up, big personalities, long living.

Chihuahuas are interesting dogs and fun to be around, so full of life. The few people I know who have chihuahua's won't have any other breed in their life. Although here it's pretty cold so you don't come across too many in this area.

Last edited:
That's something about Yorkies I always appreciated. Their coat doesn't shed and tends to be hypo-allergenic. I love the disposition of pugs too...but good grief..they shed year round!

Have had no experience with Yorkies. Although they appear to be quite sweet dogs. Same with Pugs. My only problem with the smaller breeds is the constant barking.

I’m so happy for you that you can even potentially own a dog. I’ve been thinking the same thing about owning one, but can’t due to renting. I’m in quiet desperation being doggy and almost human deprived that it’s like I’m destined to be alone in poverty. (Except for my one ND friend.)

New Threads

Top Bottom