• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Conflicting loneliness and solace

tazzlez60

I love being on my own, in my own space, with nobody else around. I'm content and I can do whatever I feel like without worrying about distractions or disruptions.

The problem I've been having lately is that I crave social contact but I'm too anxious to actually go and interact. When I'm at home, I'll stare at my contacts on my phone or my Facebook chat for hours trying to decide whether or not I should talk to someone, who I should talk to, what I should talk to them about, the ramifications of the engagement as well as a billion other bothersome hesitations that flitter through my mind. When I'm out with friends, I find myself making excuses to leave early, or sometimes even just disappearing if I feel no one will notice me slip out.

I've never been this flighty or conflicted with friends before, or this anxious about social interaction. Large social gatherings, I'm usually a bit funny with, but just hanging out with a few friends, I can't even bring myself to that!

I wanted to know if anyone else feels this from time to time and how do you get through it?

I've had this in the past from time to time.

It usually came from me being bored where I start wondering if I should engage in social interaction. What works best for me is to keep busy so the notion of "should I be more social" doesn't occur to me since I"m so occupied with my own things.

Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for, but this is pretty much how I got through it.

Definitely had this feeling before. From time to time, i get the feeling that I want to go out and hang out with people, but then when I imagine having to spend time with them and not knowing what to talk about or if i stick out like a sore thumb, i just kinda stayed home most of the time. There are only a couple of guys i can really hang out with who i feel comfortable, but they are not always available.

There are times when i feel this way, i would just go out to places where there are people (like coffee shop or library). I don't know them, but at least, i won't feel like i'm alone.

That was my 2 cents...hope it gives you some ideas.

New Threads

Top Bottom