• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Complete disconnect from reality - never seen this before??

Lisac

Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I live in France, and my son is on the spectrum. He has been treated for autism since he was two, his condition has much improved over the years, at least from what we can see from the outside and now he is 15 years old.

So yesterday we were walking down the street, it was on the way to get his hair cut at the salon, and there was a cat on the roadside, who had been run over by a car. There wasn't any blood, or broken bones, but the eye of the cat was "dead", like a fish eye, and the cat was lying in the rain for some time, so the fur was completely wet.

He was shocked, and said "his eye!" so we passed to the other side of the street, I know that he is sensitive to images, he has a kind of photographic memory, so I started a game where you look at the clouds and try to find the form in there, to try and make the image of the eye of the cat go away.

We go to the salon, and while we were there, the daughter of the salon owner started a conversation about a cat that had been adopted, and how she knew it was a bad idea to adopt it because it had "tenia" which is a worm that makes animals lose their fur and look a bit dishevveled... then talked about a dog who had a nervous disorder that made him scratch his eye and lose the fur around his eye. The conversation went on for a while, and during, my son said "ah that explains the eye", or something like that.

So, when we left the salon, my son said "I'm glad that the cat isn't dead after all, I had thought when I saw his eye...", I didn't know what to do, so I let it pass, just said "yes". Maybe I shouldn't but I think that it is so incredibly disconnected from reality to think that a cat who you have seen lying dead in the street is actually alive and you were mistaken.

What do you think? Is this something that happens with autism? Should I sit him down and talk to him about it, or will it be even worse now that he thinks it was ok?

Thank you for any help.

I wouldn't bring up the cat again.
I hope that cat has been disposed of so your son doesn't see it again.

Sounds like a simple case of denial. The boy isn't emotionally ready to perceive and understand death, so his brain produced logical reasons so as to explain the cat's look that wouldn't end in 'death'. People tend to do that.

I would suggest bringing the cat again, though. He cannot be always protected and will have to understand that things and people die at some point. Just do it gently, slowly.

l have a hard time with cats who l see suffering or are gone. Have rescued a couple of cats in my lifetime. He may really like cats and can't make the connection of death or pain happening in re: to felines. He may enjoy volunteering at a cat rescue place. Just ask him about cats.

Hi and welcome.

Yes sounds like he either got confused about whether it was the same cat being talked about, or made a deduction that the health conditions described about the other 2 animals might mean the cat wasn't dead.

He may barely have glanced at the poor cat, so wasn't sure it was dead. You maybe looked enough to be sure. How sad. But I wouldn't worry about the disconnect, or whatever it was. He sounded happier with the conclusion he came to.

His photographic memory couldn't supply any images of cats with eyes the same as the cat which had died.
(If he's never seen one like that before)

Perhaps he couldn't understand the eyes, rather than the death?

There's nothing he can recall that fits what he saw.
Using the hairdressers descriptions of conditions, he's trying to understand why the cat looked different enough to unsettle him?

"...ah, that explains the eye..."

Perhaps the next unfortunate cat/animal might be your opportunity to bring in reality; if you think he's ready to learn and understand?

Last edited:
Moden people are disconnected from death in general. It used to be an ever-present possibility. Around 1900, life expectancy was 48 while today it is over 80. In 1900 infant mortality was 10% while today it is 0.5%.

I knew a lot of very old relatives and went to a lot of funerals as a kid. There are a fair number of people today who will have never been to a funeral until their parents die.

Also in the past, there were a lot of people who lived on farms and who hunted. They had a regular acquaintance with death. If you lived in a city, there was still the butcher's shop where meat transitioned from a dead animal to your dinner. Today people think that hamburger comes out of a machine at McDonald's, not a living animal that probably had a terrible life.

But that's modern life. Nothing I can do to change it.

New Threads

Top Bottom