• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Communication with Males

IDK why you're asking me, a teenage boy who has to use Discord to communicate, but I'll give you the best advice I can:

Go up to the person calmly, and then get their attention. Maybe just a tap on the shoulder, or, if you are already in front of them, just say, "Hello, how are you?"

IDK what else, since I really don't know the last time I talked to somebody face-to-face that I have never met before with the intent of making new friends.

Most people seriously dont check emails very often unless their line of work requires it.
This is the point I am making - the line of work requires it. I'm talking about business communcation here, not social communication. There is a big different between what is acceptable/normal in each case.
But also, one other thing I just thought of. Consider the rise of social media. If you think about it, email is almost obsolete for many people. They communicate now through things such as Facebook or Twitter.
Not for business. It may be the 21st century, but for business, email is the norm. at least, it certainly is for the line of work I'm in. It certainly isn't obsolete. People don't generally use Facebook or Twitter for business communication. I would never use these to communicate with a client/student. My clients are mainly working mums or dads who normally use email for business communication.

Last edited:
Conversations are my fav things to do but I move around and sometimes when I go to cook or eat i dont come bk and I watch tv. I had some friends who demanded that I say brb every time but things didn't work out cause I was bk and forth a lot, eating, brushing teeth and getting an item or such and id just say it a lot and the convo was interrupted.

I hate saying brb and I never do and I had some fights with friends over it trying to explain. I dedicate my full attention generally, though, despite the interruptions.

Sometimes I talk to multiple people. I can't imagine saying brb to each of them. Plus if i get in bed with my food in the Tv room no ones gonna drag me out til hours later to reply to people even though I want to go back, but its fine. This even happened with my ex so I would expect friends to be more understanding and less of a fuss than a boyfriend especially since the feelings involved are of different intensity. You will survive, right? No overthinking.

I think its obvious im not around if im not replying and I think ppl shouldn't worry over it, but there are ppl who will.

Last edited:
I think the fact males generally aren't typically as conversational as females (stereotypical view but it does seem true from my experience and popular opinion) means that for a Neurotypical male (which I'm guessing he is?) talking to someone who's Neuro diverse (such as ourselves) who can tend to go overly conversational when we get into it, there can be a vast distance between what you and he see as acceptable amounts of communication.

I wouldn't base all communication skills of men, on this example alone. I had a really strange communication, with a female user of some other forum, but have never experienced anything similar whilst communicating on the web with other women.

This particular lady would initiate a conversation, and that conversation would only last as long as I answer something she asks me. If I ever try to ask her a question, communication would suddenly stop. After a while this became quite annoying, but since she would keep messaging me first, I felt obliged to respond to her. It was odd since if she asks me 'how are you?' and I say 'fine', she'd carry on the conversation. But if said '...and how are you?', I wouldn't get a response.

So in short what you consider courteous and normal communication, others out there may not. If you feel that this chap's communication style is a bit too one-sided though (ie, only his way of communication takes precedence and there is no compromise) then I'd stop communicating with him, and if he wants to know why, then tell him why.

This is the point I am making - the line of work requires it. I'm talking about business communcation here, not social communication. There is a big different between what is acceptable/normal in each case.

Not for business. It may be the 21st century, but for business, email is the norm. at least, it certainly is for the line of work I'm in. It certainly isn't obsolete. People don't generally use Facebook or Twitter for business communication. I would never use these to communicate with a client/student. My clients are mainly working mums or dads who normally use email for business communication.

That's still an assumption though.

Everyone I know works... I'm the only one that doesnt. They all have steady, important jobs, and I dont mean retail.

None of them use email for anything except my father & stepmother.

MANY lines of work do not use email for anything. Typically those that do use email alot are using it for cooridination purposes (and not all jobs require that this be done). My father & stepmother both use it alot because they're communicating with people across the state and often out of state, and must travel *alot* for work. It makes sense: They arent in a position to constantly speak to associates directly. Everyone else though... even my mother, who helps to manage a school that teaches hair-salon stuff, doesnt really use it. She simply talks to everyone either directly or via the phone if necessary. And that's a management position (one with alot of paperwork, too... sometimes I really wonder how she puts up with the whole thing). Like most I know, she just uses Facebook for basically all ranged communication, and really just with family and friends. She's not tech averse, but she still has no real use for email.

ANYWAY. Again, the reasons arent truly relevant. My point was just to explain not only why it happens sometimes, but why assumptions shouldnt be made. You cant really know what someone else's life is like without directly asking them. And even if you directly ask them, you STILL cant know unless they feel like giving you a true answer (and many wont, unless they feel they know you well enough). On top of that, you cannot assume that simply because your situation is one way, that it means that others will be too. YOUR work requires email, yes. But others, even though they carry a similar status of having a career, may not.

We all have our situations to deal with. With so much crap going on, communication gets stressed or broken at times (even moreso with people you dont know very well). I know it sure does for me, frequently. And it definitely does for others. But making assumptions as to the exact reasons... particularly blanket assumptions, the absolute worst kind... doesnt do anyone any good. There are many, MANY *possible* reasons, and that's important to keep in mind. Who knows what kinds of screwy situations some people may be in? All this stuff about email and tech may be utterly irrelevant in the face of what some people might be going through. No way to know.

And really, sometimes "I was too busy" really does mean exactly that. Yeah, I know, NT society tends to say things OTHER than what they actually mean.... but every now and then, there's someone that's just upfront about it. Rare enough that it's confusing when it happens.

That's still an assumption though.
It's a fact. My business by nature involves long distance international communication and is not a local hairdresser's or a shop where one can easily phone clients. No, not all people use email regularly, but I know that my clients do. My clients all have email addresses, contact me via email, use email, and if they didn't, then why or how would they contact me? For the arrangement to work, there is mutual understanding, and there are obligations on both sides to maintain good communication, and this exists from the moment that they contact me and give me their contact details, so yes, I am quite justly assuming certain things, that they are going have good communication with me to fulfil certain conditions, such as: lettting me know 24 hours in advance of cancellation, replying to emails within 24 hours, paying me at the end of the month, etc.

Since they have taken the trouble to contact me about online lessons, I have every reason to assume good communication from them. Why wouldn't I?

This is the last I'm going to say on this matter.

Last edited:
It's a fact. My business by nature involves long distance international communication and is not a local hairdresser's or a shop where one can easily phone clients. No, not all people use email regularly, but I know that my clients do. My clients all have email addresses, contact me via email, use email, and if they didn't, then why or how would they contact me? For the arrangement to work, there is mutual understanding, and there are obligations on both sides to maintain good communication, and this exists from the moment that they contact me and give me their contact details, so yes, I am quite justly assuming certain things, that they are going have good communication with me to fulfil certain conditions, such as: lettting me know 24 hours in advance of cancellation, replying to emails within 24 hours, paying me at the end of the month, etc.

Since they have taken the trouble to contact me about online lessons, I have every reason to assume good communication from them. Why wouldn't I?

This is the last I'm going to say on this matter.

They contact you if and when they have questions. You can see this happen with OFFLINE communication as well: People often take an "interest" in you if they CURRENTLY need you for something. It's like customer support to them. The fact that they are using email to contact you does not actually mean they REALLY use it. It simply means they sent you a specific one for an extremely specific purpose. It also doesnt necessarily mean they'll remember having done so (I do that one alot, and I dont mean with email). And if they later consider their question answered or problem somehow solved (even if that solution doesnt come from you) they're likely to lose interest the moment that happens.

Dont get me wrong: MOST people *have* an email address. It's REQUIRED for use with most sites, and also required for use with many non-internet things (you know, physical stores/services often requiring it from you as part of a sign-up, that sort of thing). It is required for use with THIS site. But that doesnt mean they *USE* it in any real capacity. It is accessed simply when truly required. Hell, even my grandma has one, and she's VERY tech-averse... wont even pump her own gas at the gas station, let alone use a computer for much of anything. But it was necessary for her bank, so she has one anyway. Never, ever touches it unless there's one hell of a good reason to... but has it anyway.

I kinda thought that bit was obvious, or I would have mentioned it.... Hell, it's THE reason why I have an email at all. Need to in order to sign up to sites. But I dont USE it, even despite that my entire existence revolves around these accursed machines.

Seriously. "used it to write someone an email" doesnt mean "uses it all the time and actually checks it". Nor does it even mean "actually cares about it". There is no "mutual agreement" there. Just one person accessing a computer network's function for something they need at that specific moment. Yet again, this is part of how online interactions work. They often dont work in the way that makes sense to minds such as ours. The only reason ANY of it makes sense to me, is that I've had this drilled into my mind repeatedly for the last 20 years. Or has it been longer? I really dont want to know. One way or another though, I was forced into an understanding whether I liked it or not (and frankly, I dont really like it. I find it all moderately disturbing).

Overall, it's STILL an "assumption". You cant truly know someone's situation, or reasons for doing anything at all, unless they directly AND HONESTLY explain it to you (and most people wont, not to someone they arent close to). If you dont have all the details.... it's really that simple.

Ugh, and I apologize if I'm being a bit unpleasant here. It's -20 degrees outside, everything hurts, and I havent had my caffeine yet. Things are a bit unpleasantly wonky right now. Bloody amazing if I even remember having posted this 3 hours from now.

I feel like I need more context here.

For instance, no contact for weeks doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. If you ask him things and he doesn't respond for weeks and ignores many questions, then yeah, that would certainly question me how real and dependable my friendship was with so and so really is.

Would you ever be able to meet in-person if given the opportunity? Do you know if you and the other person you're talking with desire that? Those kind of things and probably a bunch of other things are all important to be able determine what is best for what your own expectations should and can be. What do you know or what is your feel? I know it's hard to think of "everything" important. So, try to put together more of what you can for starters.

Don't really know. Maybe you guys can Skype or Facebook Video Chat each other to see what more of the issue is.

New Threads

Top Bottom