• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

communication issues

Ihaveaspergers

Do you find it difficult to understand someone if they talk to a big group rather than to you personally? I do.
I work with a professional on this and he says that even "normal" people struggle with this.
No wonder I disslike when people talk to a big group rather than inidividuals.
An example: a press meeting about covid-19. They say a lot about my region and what people need to do and avoid doing. My mother says that they are not speaking to me as I am already doing what I should and avoid what I should when it comes to the virus.
They are just trying to speak to everyone at once but it doesn't work. This kind of communication sucks. In this case I have to think a lot about to whom they are speaking. If they said that to whom they are not speaking it would be much easier.
In this case I talked to my parents about it.

How do you deal with this?

I feel overwhelmed when in a big group. My eyes do not know what to do and it is worse, when I am occasionally centre of attention. I tend to look at the kindest person in that situation, but not anyone else and end up apologing for looking at one person only.

I find it even worse on zoom, using my laptop, because it feels that the person is right up close to me and that almost frightens me. On a device, it is a bit better, because the screen is smaller and I can divert my attention.

Shy nt's are similar, but not as bad.

When people address a group rather than an individual, they tend to generalise or make assumtions based on what might be true for the majority of people, but not necessarily each person individually. So when they are talking, it's helpful to remember that they are generalising and not addressing you exclusively, not all of what they say will apply to you and it's up to you to decide what does and what doesn't.

When people address a group rather than an individual, they tend to generalise or make assumtions based on what might be true for the majority of people, but not necessarily each person individually. So when they are talking, it's helpful to remember that they are generalising and not addressing you exclusively, not all of what they say will apply to you and it's up to you to decide what does and what doesn't.
I have issues with sifting out (is that how we say it in English?).
The big problem is: they don't even tell us to what group they are speaking. They just assume that we all know. But sorry, I am not a mind reader. I just cannot stand how Folkhälsomyndigheten communicates at their press meetings. They need to talk courses in how communication works.
This is why talking to groups is one of the worst things that has happened in our society when it comes to communication issues.

New Threads

Top Bottom