• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

'Coming out' to others - Their Responses

Personally, I'm fully open about it.
Do you find that, upon telling friends, anything changes? I found that nothing really changed except better understanding, the very few people who have turned slightly away, I have just let them be as I don't believe they are the kind of people I need around me. Does your relationship get stronger or weirder? My relationship with my wife has grown significantly due to understanding and more communication. Do you feel relieved to have told? I always feel better when people know, even if they don't fully understand it. What responses have you received? Very positive so far, only 1 or 2 that became more distant. Have you ever regretted telling anyone? Not in the slightest :) although life can be really tough at times, once you have figured it all out and have settled in, I find Apsergers is a gift that I can share with others. I find that the hardest part of it all is trying to explain it so people understand. (I find having a few links handy is very helpful)

I have taken several self diagnostic Aspie tests, and scored very high on all of them. I read the book, "The Journal of Best Practices," by David Lynch, was curious about myself, took a quiz, and scored higher than Mr. Lynch. I'm trying to decide whom to tell. I'm currently undergoing testing by a clinical psychologist, to find out where I fit on the Autism scale. Fortunately I am highly verbal, and a journalist, who manages to do makeup, fashionable clothing, and all related grooming activities Most of my problems are social: I don't particularly enjoy socializing, so I stay home a lot. Fortunately, I have a supportive husband and family. The truth is, most people don't understand Aspergers, and think of it as weird, and some sort of mental illness. Some of the people I know have said things that mean "why in the world would you open that can of worms? Just ignore it, deny it and move on." That made me feel embarrassed and uncomfortable.

I don't even think about mine that much unless I'm posting about it. I was dx'd in middle age and only because I had gone to a shrink about something completely different and she noticed some things and we went from there. All it really did for me was to explain to myself why I do the things I do.

I told my husband and kids and they basically just said "Oh, ok". I don't think I've really ever brought it back up with them since I found out except very occasionally as an aside. They have probably forgotten about it completely. I still just explain things as being "just how I am" and I don't go into detail with them. We know each other well enough by now not have to explain things very much.

As for my friends, it's on a need to know basis. I've told a few and they always just say "Ooooooh, THATS what it is!" and I laugh and say "Yep, THATS what it is". Most don't know, just a few. My best friend and I talk about it more than I talk about it with my family. She thinks it's cool as hell that I can read so much and absorb so much and have uncommon interests. She also likes that I know so much about strange things and will speak up when I'm starting to go into a long monologue about something that only me and maybe eight other people in the world are interested in. She's actually interested in AS and asks a lot about it and will pay attention if she hears something about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom