• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cognitive enchancement - an ethical imperative?

Gritches

The Happy Dog
V.I.P Member
There's something I've been chewing on for quite a long time and I find myself agreeing with it fully. I don't remember who said it, but someone who has some business making such claims said that it was not only unethical to deny cognitive enhancing medications to those who need it, but wholly ethical to take every step wise and safe to enhance our minds in any way possible, including through the use of cognitive-enhancing pharmaceuticals.

The context of this topic was a debate over whether students should be banned from taking ADHD medications, as it gives them an "unfair advantage", though the argument can be generalized to all psycho-pharmaceuticals in the following way:

I have depression. It is not necessary for my organic life for me to not be depressed. Yet, I take anti-depressants, mostly because I can. The same goes for anxiety medications: the world doesn't care if you're a nervous wreck, you will shut up and do your job or suffer the consequences. But my anxiety medication makes me not simply "feel" better, but by making me feel better banishes the distractions caused by anxiety thus making me a better worker and a more productive person in general.

Ditto for my Lunesta (sleep aid). I get more and better sleep, and I'm a better and more productive person. In that way, even Lunesta is a performance-enhancing drug, so is Melatonin if we want to get absurd with it.

My point and my question is: I'm big pharma's biggest fan because I believe that if you can enhance yourself with magic beans, you should at least have the freedom to make that choice.

The question is: do you agree with the topic in general, that beyond medical necessity such as heart medication that psycho-pharmaceuticals are all essentially performance-enhancing drugs?

I say yes for this reason: I'm agoraphobic, but I still get out because I lack any choice in the matter. Meds or not, my ass would be working 40 hours a week, whether in a state of relative peace or as a nervous, depressed, unfocused, incompetent mess of functioning organs. I wouldn't be able to do the job I do, but I could do some sort of job; the difference is that my psych medications have allowed me to achieve higher than I could with what God gave me.

Interesting question. Good points raised given how there are already existing products on the market which can definitely alter human behavior with negative and unintended consequences.

I can only speculate that your question falls within the realm of political, medical and bureaucratic controversy. Where politicians as lawmakers are quite reticent to approve of anything more in a market that is already saturated with controlled substances and their potentially negative reactions, compounded when used in unintended conditions.

That for them, it represents yet a new player when it comes to an old political and medical problem- dealing with the mass public consumption of controlled substances. Just another "third-rail issue" most politicians and bureaucrats would just assume not deal with at all.

Last edited:
Agree this is an interesting discussion raised by Gritches. Actually , I've never thought about it from that angle. I guess I would have to concur that if someone needs medications to be a productive member of society then it's to society's benefit as well as their own for them to get those medications, but then they have the onus of doing whatever it is that makes them a productive member rather than using them just to feel good or get high.

I think you are making an error in saying "heart medication" is necessary while "psychological medication" is not. If the psych meds are prescribed to address a specific problem, they are necessary.

The ethical question really gets raised in the context you mentioned, taking "enhancing" medications/supplements that are not to treat a condition. Somewhat comparable to the sports "performance enhancing drugs" discussion. But step away from chemicals for a moment and consider a hypothetical case:

Science makes a breakthrough and is able to implant a super powerful computer that interfaces with your brain and gives you access to not just a huge amount of computing power but instant recall of all stored information. Further, they can put parts in your eyes that not only record everything you see, but can project information into your environment (hybrid reality, as it is being called now). Obviously this would be a HUGE advantage to anyone that has these implant enhancements. No need to go to college, just access your computer. 100% on any test you take. Complex mathematics on demand. No need to measure anything, the computer will do it. No need to take picture, you eyes do it for you, with perfect recall later. The list could go on.

No "unenhanced" person would be able to compete with those that have these implants. They are, however, tremendously expensive, such that they would be economically unavailable to 80% of the population of the world. If you can afford them, you are legally and medically allowed to get them.

How do we, as a nation, humans, man-kind, deal with such a thing? Where do we draw the moral and ethical lines?

Now, consider again, the college student that can access ADHD meds, or others...that give them enhanced performance. Not to treat a condition, but legally questionable (or outright illegal) access for enhancement only. Are their actions ethical? Are we ethically bound to ensure all college students have access to these pharmaceuticals? Change the laws, sell them over the counter, $5 for a bottle of 100, like aspirin. OK or not?

Relative to an entire society, the term "enhancement" can get a might touchy. The last society to seriously attempt to eugenically enhance their own race ended rather badly.

"If you seek his monument, look around."

Personally I'd not want to live in much of any society that earnestly required its citizens to conform to standards well beyond obeying the laws and paying their fair share of taxes.

I'd rather be my own person on my own terms. Not a drone "enhanced" only to serve the state.

Last edited:
Well, it’s a matter of doing it responsibly. Your certainly should be able to perform at your beat.

When I see the problems that are caused by pointless attempts at drug control, I am in favor of legalization.

Ethically, a medication that enhances your ability to compete on the same level with the rest, without anxiety and depression, is beneficial to a category of society. A culture that values an 'all or nothing' work ethic at the expense of it's populace.

There are often serious contraindications to long term use of these somewhat occasionally helpful aids. Heart and kidney and liver function are comprised with medication cocktails as you likely already understand. So it's something of a gamble, which I suppose life mainly is.

Perhaps it's good that females are very often ignored and marginalized by the medical community. And tend toward not relying as much on medications as many do. I take nothing but vitamins, but my spouse takes many different medications. Maybe, not relying so much on them helps us to live a longer life. That might be something to consider, with long term use of these meds.

Last edited:
At first blush I thought the topic was substances along the lines of nootropics. If medicine was much more advanced in that area I think such substances should be offered to everyone.

If it is something medically necessary to keep your body and mind doing the best I see nothing unethical with that.
Heart medicine was mentioned.
You need your heart working properly to live.
If a medicine can achieve this or as close to it as possible
it benefits the person's living ability, comfort, and society.
It is up to the individual to choose what to do.
Risks vs side effects is always a factor to consider
and sometimes life vs death without the med.
This would apply to all medicines that physically enable
life to it's possible best.

Same can apply to psychiatric meds.
There are many risks associated with them
but it should be up to the individual to decide.
If a medication prevents such mental conditions
as hallucinations, deep suicidal depression, anxiety that is disabling to the point of not being able to leave your room, etc. Why would choosing to take them be unethical?

As far as taking something to make you perform better
than the majority, well, that's always been around.
Again, the person should decide based on the risks
and reasons for wanting to perform above average
whether physically or mentally.
The government would probably want anything that makes a type of superhuman for intelligence and combat
forces. Shouldn't be forced though for said purposes.

For those who would use drugs or physical enhancements for personal desires, they are taking
the risks through free choice and the money needed
to do so might make only a few able to do so, true.
But it is that way with everything of monetary nature in
this life. Those who have, GET.
How many people live in million dollar plus estates vs
more ordinary homes for example.

How any enhancement is used is up to the person.
Sometimes a lot of money isn't needed.
A cheap bottle of booze can cause a lot of problems
to self and others.
It is always freedom of choice unless it is forced
upon people, then it is dictatorship.

Yes, why not? Why shouldn't people have the drugs that improve their quality of life. As for whether it is fair or not to take drugs to enhance performance in an exam, well, coffee is a drug, are you going to ban coffee? Even certain foods can affect your performance - you'd have to ban those, too, and that's just not practical. Also, if you did ban them, how would you enforce it? And if you banned them, you'd have to also ban those who take them because they genuinely need them. So yes, perhaps it does give students an unfair advantage, but banning them isn't going to work.

I believe that if you can enhance yourself with magic beans, you should at least have the freedom to make that choice.

There are lots of great observances here... Mine is just fact based. It seems I have to have my Magic beans to function in society at times... I derail right there. Why? What is so messed up in me that I cant function without some mind altering drug that settles me down and helps me not freak out? Thats my real question.

Why do I have to have magic beans to not fall off the edge of depression and get to that dark place I have been before? I know the beans work, but why wont my brain work for me instead of against me?

Isn't is my brains job to help me function and keep me safe? Why do I have to depend on the pills? What if I become addicted to the stupid things? I'm not stupid and I KNOW I am on 2 of the most dangerous drugs there are.

Wellbutrin is famous for seizures and Xanax will get my ass in rehab so fast my head will spin if I am not careful... BUT these 2 are the most effective in my situation and have not too many side effects (on me at least).

Its not so much the legality or that if I have an beneficial edge to others while taking them... My question has always been WHY do I all but have to have them to manage LIFE?

What if they decide no more magic beans for Chance? What if Chance goes and does something stupid while on his magic beans?

Why cant Chance make it in LIFE on his own minds foundation without them? Or can I and I have been made to think I cant?

For severe pain, heart, breathing, etc... I get it, I really do those are to help keep a person from dying unnecessarily. But for the other stuff other than a bunch of legal stuff it's just DRUGS.

So basically I'm a legal junkie (when on my beans)... I don't like that about me, or that I have to depend on some pill in a bottle to be my friend and help me go out and face LIFE.

This is of course my view point, but its real and from my life of having to deal with it...

In one way I am very grateful, in another very upset that I cant handle my own pitiful life.

BTW I love the term "magic beans" that fits well with me living in "Neverland" or "No-where-land"... Lost boys have their demons too... : )

There are lots of great observances here... Mine is just fact based. It seems I have to have my Magic beans to function in society at times... I derail right there. Why? What is so messed up in me that I cant function without some mind altering drug that settles me down and helps me not freak out? Thats my real question.

Why do I have to have magic beans to not fall off the edge of depression and get to that dark place I have been before? I know the beans work, but why wont my brain work for me instead of against me?

Isn't is my brains job to help me function and keep me safe? Why do I have to depend on the pills? What if I become addicted to the stupid things? I'm not stupid and I KNOW I am on 2 of the most dangerous drugs there are.

Wellbutrin is famous for seizures and Xanax will get my ass in rehab so fast my head will spin if I am not careful... BUT these 2 are the most effective in my situation and have not too many side effects (on me at least).

Its not so much the legality or that if I have an beneficial edge to others while taking them... My question has always been WHY do I all but have to have them to manage LIFE?

What if they decide no more magic beans for Chance? What if Chance goes and does something stupid while on his magic beans?

Why cant Chance make it in LIFE on his own minds foundation without them? Or can I and I have been made to think I cant?

For severe pain, heart, breathing, etc... I get it, I really do those are to help keep a person from dying unnecessarily. But for the other stuff other than a bunch of legal stuff it's just DRUGS.

So basically I'm a legal junkie (when on my beans)... I don't like that about me, or that I have to depend on some pill in a bottle to be my friend and help me go out and face LIFE.

This is of course my view point, but its real and from my life of having to deal with it...

In one way I am very grateful, in another very upset that I cant handle my own pitiful life.

BTW I love the term "magic beans" that fits well with me living in "Neverland" or "No-where-land"... Lost boys have their demons too... : )

Just as a diabetic's body cannot make or process enough insulin to live normally, maybe your body cannot make or process certain brain chemicals to function normally. Would you feel the same way if you were diabetic about taking insulin?
I don't see a big difference here.

Why cant Chance make it in LIFE on his own minds foundation without them?

There is a big long neurologic explanation for the why you are asking, but it all boils down to these 2 things:
1) Because you are on the spectrum, your brain functions differently than "normal" it's connections and pathways are mapped differently, and don't necessarily connect the expected way.
2) Repeated exposure to trauma (such as you suffered) causes physical changes not just in brain structure, but in brain chemistry, function, and mind. Such that some things no longer function correctly (the classic example being the fight or flight response)

You tend to freeze and want to run. My reaction is to want to attack/fight.

To the OP's point on ethics.

When does it stop? Drugs to enhance mental performance, some more for physical performance. Pretty soon a whole generation HAS to take these things just to "keep up". Then new or more drugs, so some can stay ahead of everyone else. It becomes not just a question of "is enhancement ethical" but the methods by which is it achieved.

At what point does "enhancement" become more than an individual question of ethical behavior and become a societal legal and ethical concern?

Just as a diabetic's body cannot make or process enough insulin to live normally, maybe your body cannot make or process certain brain chemicals to function normally. Would you feel the same way if you were diabetic about taking insulin?
I don't see a big difference here.

I fully agree with you on diabetics and any organ function... But my brain is supposed to protect me (I would think) not torture me, make me fear things, be worried and upset (for no real reason)... It's the master of the body. It just seems it would know how to reset the things that are out of balance...

I know I expect too much... It seems there would be a great amount of freedom that would be allowed if I were not (at times) dependant on meds that have a terrible track record for making peoples lives a train wreck at some point down the road... If it was truly safe and there wasn't such high rates of addiction, and seizures... I might have a very different viewpoint on a lot of it.

You talk as if these mind altering and/or "enhancing" drugs are only positive, in a similar way someone who pushes illegal narcotics will often tell you only about the great time you will have under their influence when you first take them and not all the nasty long term effects and horrid addiction they cause which usually greatly outweigh the benefits. Mind altering prescription drugs are similar and many that are claimed not to be habit forming are in fact also very addictive, usually psychologically and often also physically, that's why they have warnings not to suddenly stop taking them. Just because they're currently legal doesn't mean they also don't have a dark side, the powerful and evil pharmaceutical companies know this and in fact many now illegal street drugs such as "speed" which can also temporarily "enhance" the mind were once prescribed, but like a drug pusher they push them anyway while publicising only the possible benefits and they have extremely expensive lawyers to cover their backs and even as a last resort to pay people off if it becomes absolutely necessary. In short with mind altering drugs there's rarely such thing as a "quick fix" or an "enhancement" without negative consequences.

Last edited:
Listen to the ads and the lists of side effects as seen on TV.
Whether it's psychtropics or statins.
They all have negative actions on the body.
But, any organ in the body can be defective in how it works and may need the meds if you wish to survive.

@Chance the brain is no different to any other part of your body. In a perfect world our organs would do what they were made for without help. But, this isn't a perfect world.
And God only knows why it is so.
The brain is our master control, yes, but it is no more than a super complicated mass of cells.
I too have known a life of suffering that anxiety and depression can bring.
But, again we decide what to do.
If it is a pill that enables us to survive even if still not perfectly but has side effects on our bodies, which is the less of two evils?
Take a chance on what the med may do or let it go to the point you can't function at all in life, end up institutionalised, and so miserable you can't stand yourself?
It's not your fault. It's how we were made.
Sometimes I feel I hate myself for this way of being too.
But, I didn't do it to myself, I was just born this way.
I do the best I can.
Supplements, meditation, a slower lifestyle would be beneficial but currently unobtainable, and yep the
magic beans if that's what it takes to function.

I've had one of the worst bouts of cancer too.
But, I don't hate myself for that.
My liver should operate to live also, not be cut up and
left with just enought to survive.
I did nothing like drinking or IV drug use to damage it.
Yet there it was suddenly, a rare type of cancer.

Society has put stigma on anything "mental" and we
grow up with that if something mental bothers us.
There is the shame emotion.

Some go so far as to say cancer is your own fault for not
being in positive thought energy.
I believe in the power of healing and harmful energy.
But, there are other reasons for illness and dysfuntioning
body organs too.
We shouldn't be mad at our brains for something we don't understand.
Pax, my friend.

New Threads

Top Bottom