• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coffee.

I usually have coffee from my Senseo. And, if I'm at a store which sells them, I'll bring home some Senseo Black Coffee pads. It's kinda strong, but I like it that way. If they don't have those, I'll go for the strongest they have around.

Most of the time I drink it black, sometimes I put one of two of those little sweets in it. I hate milk in my coffee. Oddly enough I do however, fill up my coffee with Baileys sometimes. That kind of creaming doesn't bother me as much as milk does. It's probably an alcohol thing.

I once had coffee Mr. Bean style. Had a jar of instant coffee (also of the same Black type as above) and I took a couple of spoons in my mouth. Added some lukewarm water and gargled it a bit, while I was on my way to the train.

I also have a Senseo and opt for the dark blends...but I think the last one I got is Mokka, which isn't bad, either. I was afraid it would be too chocolatey, but thankfully isn't. At first I really didn't like using the senseo (I had the traditional coffee maker before) but I like it now. It gives it a different texture, I think.

I'd like an espresso machine, but they get a bit expensive...

I also have a Senseo and opt for the dark blends...but I think the last one I got is Mokka, which isn't bad, either. I was afraid it would be too chocolatey, but thankfully isn't. At first I really didn't like using the senseo (I had the traditional coffee maker before) but I like it now. It gives it a different texture, I think.

I'd like an espresso machine, but they get a bit expensive...

I never really compared both as different texture. Might compare that someday.

About the Senseo; I don't know if they're available abroad, but in Holland there's a plethora of other kinds of pads to put in it. There's tea-pads, chocolatemilk pads and probably some more. The chocolatemilk is horrible thought it has the label of some good "normal" brand though. The senseo thing is to watered down.

As for espresso machines... I don't have a sink in my bedroom, but I do have a senseo there. So it would be a hassle to have that entire process done everytime. My parents once had a espressomachine... nothing fancy, but they didn't have a clue how it worked so it stood there and they got a senseo because that's apparently "easier". Should actually learn how those things work... but I'd have to buy one first :skeptical:

About the Senseo; I don't know if they're available abroad, but in Holland there's a plethora of other kinds of pads to put in it. There's tea-pads, chocolatemilk pads and probably some more. The chocolatemilk is horrible thought it has the label of some good "normal" brand though. The senseo thing is to watered down.

I think we've seen one here at Walmart or something don't remember. My husband is Dutch and his sister has one, so every time he sees it he wants to buy one but I'm personally not sold on it... We'll see...

The funny thing is, after all these coffee talks I started drinking it again every morning to get some energy at 5:30 in the morning :)

I can't think what or who it's good for?

Apparently a lot of people run on caffeine. So in a way it's good to get some people up and going. Sure, we could argue that it's their own fault to be that dependant on caffeine, but that's not really the point of discussion. Are you "against it" because caffeine doesn't do for you, what it does for a lot of other people?

Also, morals.. meh... but "bad for you"? There's quite some stuff out there which is bad for you, and it does contradict your reply in the drugs thread. People are likely to say "well, that's bad for you".

Apparently a lot of people run on caffeine. So in a way it's good to get some people up and going. Sure, we could argue that it's their own fault to be that dependant on caffeine, but that's not really the point of discussion. Are you "against it" because caffeine doesn't do for you, what it does for a lot of other people?

Also, morals.. meh... but "bad for you"? There's quite some stuff out there which is bad for you, and it does contradict your reply in the drugs thread. People are likely to say "well, that's bad for you".
I don't take drugs to work, I take them to have a good time. Work would be the last thing I would want to take drugs for. If caffine killed me and I took it coz of work I would regret that in death but if I died from having a good time, I wouldn't regret that (regret isn't the right word but oh well)

If you want to go down the health road with coffee...

Is Coffee Bad for You? Actually, Drinking Coffee May Be Good for You - US News and World Report

But if you don't trust any of that, I don't think coffee is any more harmful than, let's say chocolate. Too much is obviously not good, but not bad enough to say anything strong about it. Certaintly not in comparison with smoking.

And speaking personally, I drink it mainly because I like the taste, and having a hot drink is rather calming and comforting to me. The stimulating effect doesn't actually do much for me anymore, so it is really just because I enjoy it.

But, meh. To each his/her own.

I don't take drugs to work, I take them to have a good time. Work would be the last thing I would want to take drugs for. If caffine killed me and I took it coz of work I would regret that in death but if I died from having a good time, I wouldn't regret that (regret isn't the right word but oh well)

But what if you want to have good time at work? ;) Just kidding... but yeah, I can understand your comparison.

I think some people hope to get some kind of "advantage" from the caffeine. People are usually like "I need my coffee or else I'm not getting started up in the morning". To some extent it's total BS, because it might just as well be a placebo effect to some. So, what about decaf? That's there only for taste. And people do drink that.

I think coffee is as pointless as smoking...

But still people do this. And all people tell me "I like the taste". It's hard to believe IMO but yeah... to some people it's calming, it has a therapeutic value to it. The same could apply to coffee.

But yeah... to each their own I guess. There's people out there, who are strongly against drugs for the same reason they're against smoking, against coffee, against eating meat, against soda's... and against I don't know what. Isn't it a bit of the same arguement/situation then.

I'm actually starting to develop a slight appreciation for coffee. Contrary to what some people think, not all coffee tastes like ****; some actually tastes rather pleasant. You just need to consume the right stuff. My whole life I've mostly consumed pre-ground inferior coffee, but there have been a few times where I've actually been quite blown away by the taste of coffee. I tend to always be more impressed with African and Indonesian beans than with stuff from South America.

I had killer hotel coffee the other that was so good that it made me think "**** - maybe now's the time for me to start getting high-end coffee rather than continuing to consume Folgers pre-ground crap."

Perhaps someday soon I'll finally stop consuming coffee mostly for the caffeine.

I also like African and Indonesian better. It also can depend though on the roast, and many people don't know what they end up preferring. French roast, or any darker roast in general, is usually my favorite. I find flavored coffee horrible, but I do like regular coffee with flavored syrup. So it just depends I suppose.

I can drink Folgers or pretty much any coffee if it's there, but I agree that if you tend to not like coffee it's probably because you haven't found the right kind (or right way to make it). A lot of people who hate coffee period tend to be suprised they don't mind things like lattes. Or they'll start with something really light and sweet and work their way into it. You notice stuff like that at coffee places.

I guess its like alchohol in that way. If you started off with the cheapest liquor or **** beer, then no, you probably wouldn't think highly of alcohol (beyond the effects) either. You just have to find a good one or what suits you, I guess.

Have you tried the Japanese ones [yet], from Asianfoodgrocer.com ?

Not yet; I did order a couple of cans, still waiting for my shipment to arrive.

Is Indonesian coffee popular in the Netherlands?

Speaking of which, would anyone here be willing to try this rather infamous variety? I think I might have to...uh...pass (no pun intended!).

Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Not yet; I did order a couple of cans, still waiting for my shipment to arrive.

Is Indonesian coffee popular in the Netherlands?

Speaking of which, would anyone here be willing to try this rather infamous variety? I think I might have to...uh...pass (no pun intended!).

Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indonesian is around, but not any more or less than in the U.S. The Dutch do have their own coffee, Douwe Egberts (and some others) that seem to be their version of Folgers. Although I think it tastes rather nice for standard coffee. Coffee/Senseo pads are also more popular here it seems. I hardly EVER saw them in the U.S.

And Kopi Luwak...wow, that looks all kinds of disgusting. I'm not gonna volunteer for that one.

New Threads

Top Bottom