• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clumsiness

Just out of curiosity does anyone else deal with hypertensive skeletal muscle rigidity? Basically, no matter what your muscles never really relax. It is a bit like being an overwound clockwork that never loosens its too tight springs. I know some of mine is defensive, protecting against hyperextension of major joints because of my EDS. My muscles know a 'safe' range, with atypical flexibility at odd points. (e.g. my hip joint and toes, in particular). I know both traits coupled with my rotten proprioception pretty much explain why I am such a klutz.

Another sign that you can't just put us all under a single umbrella that would suit NT thinking.

I always had superb balance, far better than most people, but I'm hopeless at throwing and catching. On a worksite never ask me to throw you a hammer, an extremely dangerous request.

I also have extremely good fine motor control, I'm really good at manipulating small and delicate devices.

Wow so many differences here!
Regarding clumsiness, motor skills, or space perception, it seems it is often quite an extreme or another. Just like, most people on the spectrum I talked to have a special relationship to sport, from non-existent, to "I love it and I'm great at it", with "I like it but team sports are so hard", etc...
To link it with another conversation, one of the reason why maybe clumsiness is common in asperger is because of the 'wall of glass', this perception of having a glassbox between yourself and the world. It is my theory that is feeling may be disrupting the continuity of sensation between what's inside and outside of it. For example, I know several aspies who like hugs & cuddles but who also dislike having someone touching them on the shoulder, or a specific body part, or people "entering their space" without being invited.
So, it seems in ASD but Asperger in particular, this wall of glass is a reflexion of our special way of perceiving the world.
What do you think of that ?

Hi Gaelic, welcome to the forum. I think you're right to some degree, throwing and catching involve social aspects with a game partner. I was always very fit and active when I was young but never team sports.

The only time I ever played on a team and enjoyed it was with a group of close friends and we played 10 Pin Bowling one year. I wasn't great at bowling but I didn't embarrass myself either.

New Threads

Top Bottom