• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clumsiness

It feels like i have Tourettes with movements, if I'm holding something valuable or delicate I get very nervous and really have to concentrate, I start catastrophising which I'm good at.
Focus on meaning and saying I'm not going to drop it or break it focusing will take your mind off the adrenaline rush

Yup. My spine is slightly hunched (making the already awkward awkwarder) and my default walk cycle is clumsy as hell. I feel like an alien when walking around, lol.

My focus is totally on the object in hand in that situation, diverting it to a mantra is not happening

I'm extremely clumsy,I always find ways to hit my elbow or find some way to stump my toe on something aswell,I also get nervous when I hold something fragile or valuable in fear I will drop it and break it.

Human wrecking ball here. :D "D" is for dyspraxia! :tonguewink:
Saw a video of myself walking. It reminded me of that lurching Bigfoot footage clip. They should've named me "Grace." Ha!

I run into doors, doorways, walls, furniture, fall up the stairs and down the stairs. A few days ago I shut the backdoor of my car onto my head. I am terribly clumsy. Until I get outside on a trail. Oddly I rarely fall or trip when hiking. I went on a hike Tuesday with my sister, it was steep, rocky and had quite a few downed trees to navigate through. Not a problem. Get inside and smack right into something.

When I was a kid I was somewhat clumsy and poorly coordinated. I was never good at sports and also not interested which made getting better improbable. Catching a baseball in a glove might as well been a magic trick to me. I however improved greatly over time and today I would say above average in coordination in some ways. Its like I read before how aspie symptoms can be grown out of.

A
Hi there everyone. I'm curious to know if anyone else has issues with clumsiness. Being awkward from a physical aspect can be a bit of a health hazard. I bump into things a lot. I may not feel it them right then, but there will probably be a cruise and a painful reminder later. I tend to drop things too. I've included the article below that explains this being on the spectrum. Clumsiness Associated with Autism Spectrum Disorders—Poor Proprioception[/QUOTE

Absolutely.

Spent the whole of yesterday misjudging the doorway or grazing against nearby furniture.

It gets worse if I'm hyper focussed. It's like I don't remember to look. I curse, think it's avoidable, criticize myself for it and assume I'll be better next time

Then the circle goes round again..

Now, I've stopped listening to that NT Justification: OH, WE ALL DO THAT....

yeah yeah

I'm covered in bruises, NT gets one bang on the knee..... Lol

[QUOTE="InfinityRose, I still wonder how she was able to get away with such blatant discrimination...[/QUOTE]

She probably was being a pig. But if it was me, an Aspie, saying that, I would just mean that literally, and not offensively..

I come out with such (example) blatant comments ALL THE TIME and everyone usually just looks at me and laughs!

First, I get the shooting look (of admiration?) Then the two people exchange eye contact, look back AT ME and laugh AGAIN.

I assume, because they AGREE with me, enjoy that I had the guts to say it and found it amusing that I dared to say it.

When I was a kid I was somewhat clumsy and poorly coordinated. I was never good at sports and also not interested which made getting better improbable. Catching a baseball in a glove might as well been a magic trick to me. I however improved greatly over time and today I would say above average in coordination in some ways. Its like I read before how aspie symptoms can be grown out of.

Same here. Logical brain couldn't, and still cannot, understand how other people ENJOY sports. I cannot imagine a more pointless and boring method of relaxation.

For that same reason I also CANNOT TOLERATE the mundane visuals of watching a football match on T.V, listen to the monotonous voice of the controller, and as for actually sitting out a live match, I would only be able to tolerate it if I engaged with nobody, put on very good headphones, and focussed entirely on my phone for escapism.

Even then, you can expect NT's to stare at me trying to figure out my 'game plan' (forgive the pun) or WORSE STILL, take advantage of my duty to be socially polite by constantly interrupting me or trying to distract me.

Last edited:
Everything's going okay. Then, suddenly 'the hand' will come in at high speed for no reason to grab the tin.
It's like I'm watching it but can't stop it.

Have done that myself quite a bit, from now on I'm calling it the "hand brain" with a separate life of its own. Cuts from cans take forever to heal.

Have done that myself quite a bit, from now on I'm calling it the "hand brain" with a separate life of its own. Cuts from cans take forever to heal.

Tell me about it. I even had an electric can opener... but i was trying to be quiet...

Working on healing a finger burn at the moment. Most of the finger turned green.

3 months ago. The green is gone but dont think it is going to heal. A nice scar to remind me not to be so clumsy :)
Along with the other scars.....

I am a complete clutz and am constantly dropping things that I am holding. Its why I do not like holding fragile objects. :/ Also, I shake a lot so that certainly doesn't help my grip.

My whole existence is clumsy. A day where I do not fall, trip, bump into something, drop something, have something magically fly out of my hand or others is a rare occurrence much like a lunar eclipse.
I completely agree. A day when I don't stumble or drop anything is a magical, marvelous day lol.

My clumsiness is the main reason I can't be a server at a restaurant. Customers would definitely be wearing their food instead of eating it :D.

I am definitely clumsy. To make matters worse, I am very tall. This has resulted in a fair number of collisions between my head and door frames, among other low hanging objects. I once got my hair caught in a tree! During my growth spurts I thankfully learned to duck under many circumstances, but I still clonk my noggin every now and then.

Needless to say, I was never very good at sports. For some reason I thought I could overcome my lack of coordination and joint roller derby. My first time on roller skates I broke an elbow, and didn't even realize it until about a week later. Even after months of practice people compared me to a baby deer on ice. I eventually hurt myself so badly that I had to quit, and this was before I even met basic requirements.

If someone talks to me while I'm doing something in the kitchen, the chances of screwing up go up, because then it's harder to concentrate.
I noticed the same thing when I was cleaning houses. I would be going about my chores when a client would start talking to me, then I would accidentally smash an ornament or something. It was only after this happened two days consecutively that I made the connection, that this was more than just my regualr clumsiness, but that having to focus on language and properception at the same time makes it worse. I wonder if this is why I have trouble talking or singing and playing music at the same time, whereas it seems to come natural to most musicians I know.

One time I walked into a door frame at work, hit my shoulder on the pull box for the fire suppression system that was by the door, causing it to go off and dump $13,000 worth of FM-200 in the room. Also tripped over myself while trying to get out of there, my head landed between a giant metal electrical box on the wall and a desk. Ended up scraping my right temple on that desk in the fall. I should also mention that the vestibule was filling with FM-200 due to a leak in the hose running between the tank and the pipe running into the data center. My ears were stopped up due to allergies at the time so balance and all that was worse than usual.

As for the more usual things... Even when the ears and sinuses are clear I will walk into walls and door frames, but more on the line of brushing against it rather than being 8 inches off target like the Big Oops. It's not unusual for me to have scrapes on my knuckles that I have no idea how it happened. Couldn't get the hang of riding a bike until I was 8. I would literally fall over on my side. I bang into things regularly and have no idea what caused various bruises on my feet and legs. I have kicked the chair at my drafting table more times than I can count. Back in high school I slipped and broke my toe on someone's shin. At work there is this waist-high stack of servers on the floor next to one of the UPS rooms. I have to consciously walk forward before turning right to avoid tripping over it. Placing them on a shelf or table wouldn't really help, as I've had more than my share of bruises on my hip where I've walked into the corner of a desk. I have broken more than my share of glasses and plates. With as many times as I've banged the carafe of the coffeemaker at the office on everything I don't know how I've avoided breaking it. I'm so clumsy and uncoordinated my boss said he would fire me if I bought a motorcycle.

New Threads

Top Bottom