• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Childhood quirks.

I was good with license plates as a kid. I had people who knew me ask me their license plate and I would know.

this is fun..
i would mock my cousin when she would say a word often enough, i would just blurt it out as much as she did, funniest part of this mocking phase was that i swore up and down i wasn't copying her. ;)
I taught myself how to read. I still dont remember how i did it though. Grammer is crap nowadays. ;)
I was a mute, 'til school started.
I only liked changing and matching the clothes on my dolls, never gave them names.
I had no control of how high or low my voice was, (still say stuff way to loud or too soft)
Touching my food. Yeah. Mom really liked this one. Textures man.
I had meltdowns when plans changed..
Had to stop meltdowns when I had to go get something for myself in crowded rooms.
Tom boy'd so hard kids in school would ask whether I was a girl or boy..
I could see the future when i was real young haha. Call me crazy, its fine. I've briefly read articles about some autistic children were oracle like and could sense things before they would happen.
Last time this happened I had guessed my Aunt was going to get scared by my uncles monster sneeze and it happened a few seconds later. During the time I had no idea, but the deja vu feeling had creeped me out the rest of that day.

I'm sort of nearly embarrassed to reply to this post...
Lots of the things people listed as kids quirks... well I still have a bunch of them as adult quirks...
So I think I would rather watch the word folly anyway, so carry on... : )

I'm sort of nearly embarrassed to reply to this post...
Lots of the things people listed as kids quirks... well I still have a bunch of them as adult quirks...
So I think I would rather watch the word folly anyway, so carry on... : )

Aw gee Chance, you mean I can't keep riding that black stallion?

Aw gee Chance, you mean I can't keep riding that black stallion?

No... That's what I was trying to say... Go for it (it was funny)...
I think it came out sort of backwards. sorry : )

I'm trying really hard to not be an openly confused lost boy tonight...
My day (my whole week) has been strange and exhausting. Reopening a winterized 800 acre facility to 200+ campers and dealing with 50 mph winds, a burn ban, the angst from that, while trying to wake up a golf course, begging it to turn green again, and dealing with some really bazar angry people who expect miracles by the second, tends to mess me up a little...

I'm trying to let it all go and not dwell on the massive butt chewings I have taken all week long. Its nearly over... and then straight into 2 back to back golf tournaments... Every year I ask myself about 365 times... Why do I do this? : )

One of those nasty quirks as a kid... Dwelling on stuff, reliving it over and over - still do it as an adult.

Yes going over stuff anxiously I used to do that a lot,and more recently too, bit better now think it's since I understood about asp I can interrupt the process more and devidence not to. And then interrupt it again 5 minutes later and decide not to. Etc. It does work somewhat.

OMG your week Chance! No wonder you are frazzled. It's put my hair tearing about my busy and messy week into perspective. Hope it calms down. Yes and why are people so whiney and moany?.. It's not like they are grownups either! Guess we are all still part child. And I also still do some of my childhood stuff. It's how I am.

I had many “quirks”.

-Whenever I got a new pair of shoes, I had to wear them to bed the first night I had them.
-I couldn’t stand wearing wool. Still can’t.
-I had an imaginary friend named Barnaby.
-I screamed a lot, sporadically. Even as a teenager. It was like a release.
-Around 8 years of age, I watched old biblical movies, like Spartacus and Ben Hur, over and over.
-I wore glasses without lenses.
-I collected Scott toilet tissue wrappers.
-In 5th grade, I wore the same matching sweatshirt/sweatpants ensemble in 3 different colors rotating with a white turtleneck underneath every day.
-Also in 5th grade, I packed a salad with blue cheese dressing for lunch at school every day.
-Starting in middle school, I’d rearranged the furniture in my room in the middle of the night.
-In 10th grade, I started dressing up, styling my hair, and doing my makeup to look just like Twiggy. (The 60’s model, not the member of Marilyn Manson.)

That’s what I can think of now. There were probably more.

I just had another talk with my mum about this. She said that I was very bright, got bored easily, read and had a wide vocabulary from an early age, got bored easily, was always asking why, querying, and experimenting. She said that I did have one or two friends, and I did sometimes play with other kids (true in secondary school), but I had a lot of social difficulties, and frequent meltdowns because of the social difficulties and frustration. I think I saw other children and friends as a source of stimulation, rather than people to have an emotional connection with. I couldn't handle being criticised, told off or told what to do. I used to melt down shout and insist that my parents apologise for their behaviour, rather than me apologising for my behaviour! My mum says I couldn't see things from another person's perspective at all, I was socially and emotionally blind. Now I'm much better at this.

Behaviours considered quirky by others...I used long words, and liked stuff people never expected me to like because I didn't adjust every part of me to fit the idea of someone who likes that particular band, hobby, etc. Maybe because I just didn't link outward image and interests in that way. I just did what I did. I was very well behaved as I was trying to get appreciation from anywhere and in school, at least the rules were laid out clearly. I struggled a lot underneath the surface though. Completely in a dream world.

I'll probably regret saying this, but there were a couple of times when I expressed myself with things I wore when I was about 12, and in way that seemed to be semi-tragic to all those around me. Think guide badges mixed with my grans old brooches on my schoolbag, and a 'shoulder bag' hand-woven with rainbow knitting wool that looked a 5 year old did it. I used to wear millions of bracelets made from those Pony plastic beads. I thought it was cool, anyway :laughing:

Millons of strange things, but some just plain embarassing.

At 3 years old, I was tearing apart the old washer and dryer in grandma's basement. Looking around to see how everything else worked down there. Would tear apart old radios, typewriters, whatever. I'd crawl under cars to see how they worked, and try to figure out the dash lights of parked cars. Fascinated by the Mackinac Bridge since well before school. Would tear apart all my toys, but put them back together, often modified them. Couldn't get me lost on the back roads. I could read before school, but even in first grade was in speech therapy. My mind doesn't comprehend how many people can't read blueprints. To me they are more natural than written words, and I've drawn and read them since before school. I'd learn everything about, or try to collect everything of a type. My mom called it my phases. Learning everything about trains, bridges, car parts, house parts, collecting spice cans, locks and keys.... When I was 12 I had these detailed plans for a 2WD bicycle which I had no idea what to do with. Turned out later on something very similar was made by Spicer Cycles.

It's really hard telling what would have happened, if I'd not been born with a defect and didn't get so small and singled out for bullying. Had I been normal size I don't know, most likely the people still would have still gotten old. At recess I would find things of my own to do, sit under trees, examine construction of the playground equipment, ride the swing and compare my movements with the set lifting out of the ground. I'd try to play with others, but I was always a follower doing what they wanted, and it just didn't feel right running around playing pointless games. It was just something to pass time. Most of the time I'd just go sit at the front of the line, ready to come in, for most of the recess period. I really liked indoor recess, but the only time they let us do that was when the weather was unusually bitter cold, or raining. I couldn't do physically competitive games well, nor did I like them. I came home crying when they wanted to put me in a garbage bag for some stupid hopping game.

Always had digestive problems, but that's confirmed since birth. Kinda one of those chicken-or-the-egg things, did the autism come from the malnutrition and backup of poisons that stunted my growth? One may never know, and at least not in this thread.

Later on as I started to grow, I'd listen to the same few tapes every day. Walk up town and eat the same thing every day. I always ate one thing at a time, and preferred it not to touch. I'd shim my plate up so stuff would drain away from other stuff. Wear the same thing every day (I did buy 3 of the same outfit) and wore my jean jacket all day every single day. When I had to wear my winter coat, I'd put the jean jacket under it. Still wear multiple coats in layers as I freeze easily.

I always had the senses that were overactive in every way. Could hear a car literally a mile down the road, but couldn't hear a thing in background noise. Clothes tags, food smells, etc. had to go. I never could see the board at school, didn't know anybody could. I always understood that binoculars were for seeing far away things, as my dad used them everyday. Fluorescent lights would burn my eyes especially off white paper.

But (even today) it's like once I find something that works, I'm often terrified to stray from it because I think nothing else might ever work as good. When really all I do is wear it out and keep falling farther and farther into the past. I still do that with things, quite often actually. Granted my stuff works great for me, is cheap, and makes me happy, but meanwhile I realize I'm missing out on some things and the world is passing me by.

About being a follower, is pretty much what I am today, but not exactly. More like a perfector. I don't come up with totally new concepts so well, but once they're on the table, I can make them be the best they can possibly be. I'm basically another Henry Ford, Leo Fender, or Bill Gates. Without the marketing skills of course.

New Threads

Top Bottom