• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cant accept my diagnosis

Hi there,
I got officially diagnosed a few weeks ago. (With Aspergers) My previous psychologist and new psychologist both suspected it and the psychiatrist diagnosed it. I had all the evaluations, and they all said that I had mild to moderate Aspergers. My parent's questionnaire thing agreed with it (sorry i don't know how to put it.) and I have a lot of Aspergers Symptoms. So yes I was diagnosed.. But at first I was relieved that there was a name for it. But now I am starting to feel really bad because I am worried the psychiatrist somehow got it wrong. Did you ever feel like this? sorry if this is rude in some way.

LunaViolet. Please take a moment after you read the following sentence and if you like follow the directions, and the return here.
Search for probable Aspergers candidates, that you may have heard of, now and throughout history, and return to my following post here

LunaViolet, Congratulations, you are a winner. You are among a small group of people that have contributed to the progress and betterment of mankind, in no small part to to the way we think, often alone, despised, shunned and ridiculed.
A very small price to pay, as we change the way the world thinks, and move towards our better futures.

Last edited:
I was diagnosed a few weeks ago officially. I didn't think much of it at first. At 35 I have taught myself many coping mechanisms. As time goes on though others and myself keep saying, "Ohhhhh, that explains why you do that, or say that" or ect, ect. I have a very successful business I started very young, a 12 year old and an 18 month old with my second wife...my first left me...something about no attention given, no emotion lack of love reciprocated blah blah blah. Just kidding..a little.

Anyway, now that I know, it's made it worse. Not that I'm crying about it or anything, I haven't cried in 15 years, but it's starting to eat at me. I have a very strong need to fit in, so now I watch myself like a hawk and analyze everything I say worse than before. My finger wriggling and hand snapping is much worse and I'm finally getting a prescription for the high anxiety before my hearts explodes. I have a lot of people I know but never had real friends. Everyone wants to be like me until they get to know me and my crazy obsessions. It would be easy for me to say get over it, that's what I tell myself. It doesn't work. Since I be found out I am an aspie I have concentrated an exuberant amount of unneeded research on the abilities I tested at on savant levels instead of looking into what I need to work on.

Not that I made any point here but, denial gets you no where. You have aspergers, use it to your advantage. I probably wouldn't be where I am or have what I have now without it.

Get used to hearing "You got Ass-Burgerz?

Hi there,
I got officially diagnosed a few weeks ago. (With Aspergers) My previous psychologist and new psychologist both suspected it and the psychiatrist diagnosed it. I had all the evaluations, and they all said that I had mild to moderate Aspergers. My parent's questionnaire thing agreed with it (sorry i don't know how to put it.) and I have a lot of Aspergers Symptoms. So yes I was diagnosed.. But at first I was relieved that there was a name for it. But now I am starting to feel really bad because I am worried the psychiatrist somehow got it wrong. Did you ever feel like this? sorry if this is rude in some way.
Mrs. Kim has written extensively on her Asperger's and the spectrum in general, and many people find her post here helpful: http://musingsofanaspie.com/2013/02/02/i-think-i-might-be-autistic-part-4/

Apparently it's a common part of the overall diagnostic process. I personally have not gone through the grieving stage. I stayed mostly in the "Haaaaaaaaaaallelujah! I'm not insane or cancerous!" stage. I have gone through a few bitter stages and had to swear off autistic articles a few times because I really hated the attitude of the writer or person they were interviewing, but my moods were based purely in anti-social tendencies.

Thinking about your original post, I'm caused to wonder what else is going on with you. You ask if the doctor's got it wrong, when your parents [by their survey], and, most importantly, you, find it plausible. You would do well to consider why all that evidence and careful consideration isn't sufficient, and particularly your own instinct that brought you to be assessed. Is it perhaps difficult for you to reconcile that your search for an answer is over? Is there a general pattern of insecurity about you that makes it hard to incorporate anything into your self-concept with confidence?

...(edit) I'm not in denial: autism hasn't benefited me, so I don't want to have it.

While I can sympathise with your struggle in dealing with the less advantageous aspects of your autism, it's true to say that it sounds as though you almost anthropomorphise your condition, like it's a separate being consciously trying to thwart you. This is only my take, of course, and may be entirely inaccurate. But it's worth pointing out, just in case, that your neurology is yours, as any other possession, and ultimately what you make of it. A conscious choice to focus on the gifts that come with your autism, which do exist, could help you learn to make better peace with it. This isn't meant as a criticism...only as a challenge, to consider taking up for your own well being. Work to harness your strengths, and they may gradually become a source of pride...good compensation for areas in which other traits find you less effective.

I have gone through a few bitter stages and had to swear off autistic articles a few times because I really hated the attitude of the writer or person they were interviewing, but my moods were based purely in anti-social tendencies.

Had that too! And then there's all the "studies" with six participants and no control group: "We have finally figured out Autism!" Yikes, please, have some standards. Come on.

I think a certain degree of denial is normal when confronted with such things. I think an important thing to remember that many seem to forget is that you are the same person you were yesterday. Just because you received a diagnosis does not suddenly change you into a different person, it does not put you at any more of a disadvantage in life than you were in yesterday. In fact this is an opportunity to improve any disadvantages that you had previously noted, because you now have access to the tools you need to combat them.

This serves only to explain some of the facets of your life that you previously did not understand. And above all else, don't forget about the positives of being an aspie, for they are many. Welcome to the tribe, and as Tony Attwood would say "congratulations, you're an aspie".

New Threads

Top Bottom