• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can You Repeat That?

I'm just wondering, does anyone else have this? Is it linked to Asperger's or is it more probably that it's an ADHD thing?

I have both so that makes me a non-bias super freak... who tries to be all intellectual and not ask people to repeat themselves (too much)... Until I spill the beans by finally opening my mouth, and basically not having a clue at what was said too me... I (not so proudly) were the invisible dunce hat quite often.
I have polished the floors of shame many times : )

I absolutely do do this. My partner thinks it means I have a hearing problem or that I am purposely ignoring her. I've had to explain that when nothing is going on and a conversation starts without any notification that my brain doesn't process the very beginning of it. Later on I had to explain that once the conversation actually gets going that I rarely ask if something can be repeated. As a prior commenter here said, I have told people to do something to make sure they got my attention before getting to the meat of the matter.

I just can't multi-listen and my live-in doesn't seem to get that.
He'll start talking when I'm trying to talk business on the phone and I have to stop and tell him I can't listen to two people at once. I think that is probably pretty human.

If anything, I'm hypersensitive to everything around me.
Problem is, I don't show any reaction visually and they think I didn't hear or not paying attention.
Before I can speak they will react with a "did you hear what I just said? I'm asking you something."
There again, if there is a few seconds lapse in my reply...:eek: angst!
Sometimes if I'm busy and he is talking and I'm answering with Yes, No, Uh-huhs, and he throws in
something like a semi-joke, and I don't reply. Then it's a "...and you didn't even hear what I just said."
"yes, I heard." and repeat it back. I just didn't feel it was worth acknowledging.

In fairness... I totally agree with you (so maybe not just aspie) I can't listen, attentively, to two people talking at the same time..... It's just annoying... Like, 'can't you see me talking to someone on the phone....?'

Hmm, that is an intersting question. A lot of what you wrote sounds really familliar to me- I constantly irritate those around me because of my bad hearing. Only, after an appointment for my hearing, It became apparent that mainly my hearing is really good. I get really absorbed in things and people think I am ignoring them. And also I am quite slow to process what is being said in a conversation- I tend to say 'sorry, what did you say?' and then I realise what the person said to me before they reply.

New Threads

Top Bottom