1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Can You Repeat That?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Noa, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Chance

Chance "all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien V.I.P Member

I have both so that makes me a non-bias super freak... who tries to be all intellectual and not ask people to repeat themselves (too much)... Until I spill the beans by finally opening my mouth, and basically not having a clue at what was said too me... I (not so proudly) were the invisible dunce hat quite often.
    I have polished the floors of shame many times : )

2. CMZ

CMZ Member

I absolutely do do this. My partner thinks it means I have a hearing problem or that I am purposely ignoring her. I've had to explain that when nothing is going on and a conversation starts without any notification that my brain doesn't process the very beginning of it. Later on I had to explain that once the conversation actually gets going that I rarely ask if something can be repeated. As a prior commenter here said, I have told people to do something to make sure they got my attention before getting to the meat of the matter.

3. ladybug

ladybug Well-Known Member

In fairness... I totally agree with you (so maybe not just aspie) I can't listen, attentively, to two people talking at the same time..... It's just annoying... Like, 'can't you see me talking to someone on the phone....?'

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SparklAng

SparklAng Well-Known Member

Hmm, that is an intersting question. A lot of what you wrote sounds really familliar to me- I constantly irritate those around me because of my bad hearing. Only, after an appointment for my hearing, It became apparent that mainly my hearing is really good. I get really absorbed in things and people think I am ignoring them. And also I am quite slow to process what is being said in a conversation- I tend to say 'sorry, what did you say?' and then I realise what the person said to me before they reply.