• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Brandon Sanderson (accidentally?) perfectly describes my social experiences

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
I'm currently reading "Yumi and the Nightmare Painter" by Brandon Sanderson and ran into this conversation on page 261. I took names out to avoid spoilers, but didn't change anything significant to the conversation.

"Just because you can talk to anyone," he said, "doesn't mean you will know what to say."

"Is that why things are so strange between you and the others? You all have so many things you could say, that you don't know what to say?"

"Something like that."

"You could make other friends," she said.

"I've never really known how," he said, his voice low, "It should be easy. Everyone else makes it seem that way. But . . . if that's the case . . . . why didn't it work for me?"

"You didn't try hard enough, maybe?" she said.

"That's what my parents say," he said. "That I should just go . . . . try. 'Just go talk to someone!' they'd say. So I would. I'd gather my courage, stumble over, and say the wrong things. I'd feel like an awkward fool, and people would laugh at me. After that my parents would say, 'Well, you shouldn't have done it that way, son.' But what is the way?"

He turned his head to look toward her. "I know it sounds ridiculous to you. I had all the opportunities. My life was easy, liberated. But . . . I always felt like I was standing on the other side of a large glass window. I could see the world passing beyond it, could evne pretend I was part of it. But that barrier was still there. Separating me from everyone else." He looked away. "That sounds stupid, doesn't it?"

"No . . ." She closed her eyes. "I understand invisible walls."

I don't know what more I could add to that - it's a perfect description of all my social experiences growing up.

He's a fantastic author. I love the Mistborn series, and he also co wrote the final 3 books of the Wheel Of Time series.

He's a fantastic author. I love the Mistborn series, and he also co wrote the final 3 books of the Wheel Of Time series.
Yes. I currently have an unhealthy obsession with his work. I've read almost everything by him, except his Young Adult series Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians and his contribution to The Wheel of Time series.

Wheel of time is well worth reading, 14 books in the series. The original author Robert Jordan was dying of cancer and knew he would never have time to finish the books, so he collaborated with Brandon Sanderson who kept working with him until he died.

The change of authors is completely seamless. You really can't tell, even when you already know.

I'm currently reading "Yumi and the Nightmare Painter" by Brandon Sanderson and ran into this conversation on page 261. I took names out to avoid spoilers, but didn't change anything significant to the conversation.

I don't know what more I could add to that - it's a perfect description of all my social experiences growing up.
That is so uncanny! It is basically my life. Sorry to say it doesn't get better. I have suffered communications issues for all 71 years of my life and still suffer for it to this day. In fact; this very day, today! And yesterday, etc., etc. Never ending.

Just a fact of life, I guess. Just have to get used to it...

New Threads

Top Bottom