• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Books, to learn or to escape? Nonfiction or fiction?

Normally non-fiction. As of late I've been on an kick reading books about Autism. It doesn't matter if they're auto-biographies/memoirs, clinical manuals or books like Neurotribes (which I just finished). Normally my enjoyed area of reading is theology and church history. I'm on an on and off journey of slowly reading through the Ante-Nicene fathers set (found here: Amazon.com: The Ante-Nicene Fathers (10 Volume Set) (9781565630826): A. Cleveland Coxe, Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, Philip Schaff, Henry Wace: Books )

For me personally, to learn is to escape. I can get just as lost in a book written in the second century refuting Gnosticism as I can in the Harry Potter books.

That said, every once in a while I take breaks to read fiction. I needed a break from more academic last fall so I marathon read the entire Harry Potter series. A couple months ago I read the first three John Carter of Mars books back to back.

I just stared a ~2,000 page work called "Crucifixion of the Warrior God". I've been looking forward to this book for quite some time, probably 2 years or so. It just recently was published and I've been anxious to read it.

My son learned to read before he could hold a conversation and he still has trouble with conversations. He is seven also. He likes to read a bunch of different books, mostly fiction and to enjoy them I suppose. He doesn't get lost in books but can in movies if he sits long enough and mostly his own thoughts.

For me, I grew up escaping my life through books and completely blocked out everything. My preference is fiction/fantasy/suspense of all kinds besides horror and romance. I like a bit of romance, but within the overall story of adventure. Now, I read because I've always loved to read and envision the story in my mind to the point I forget that I'm actually reading a book. I don't care what's popular. If it interests me it interests me.

I do like to read/watch documentaries, biographies, history, wildlife and all kinds of non-fiction as well. It depends on what I'm interested in at the moment.

rainfall

Normally non-fiction. As of late I've been on an kick reading books about Autism. It doesn't matter if they're auto-biographies/memoirs, clinical manuals or books like Neurotribes (which I just finished). Normally my enjoyed area of reading is theology and church history. I'm on an on and off journey of slowly reading through the Ante-Nicene fathers set (found here: Amazon.com: The Ante-Nicene Fathers (10 Volume Set) (9781565630826): A. Cleveland Coxe, Alexander Roberts, James Donaldson, Philip Schaff, Henry Wace: Books )

For me personally, to learn is to escape. I can get just as lost in a book written in the second century refuting Gnosticism as I can in the Harry Potter books.

That said, every once in a while I take breaks to read fiction. I needed a break from more academic last fall so I marathon read the entire Harry Potter series. A couple months ago I read the first three John Carter of Mars books back to back.

I just stared a ~2,000 page work called "Crucifixion of the Warrior God". I've been looking forward to this book for quite some time, probably 2 years or so. It just recently was published and I've been anxious to read it.

Thanks for letting us know what you read and enjoy. Wow! A 2000 page work is long, but those who have a strong interest in any specific topic or book certainly could see that long length as a positive. It's like a very long book or movie sequel, but you can read it at your own pace.

The books I read are generally about 300 pages, and the same is true for books I write, though my recent memoir about Autism would have been closer to 500 pages had I not reduced the line spacing. Regardless what I read, and despite my slow reading pace, I like to finish most within a week.

My son learned to read before he could hold a conversation and he still has trouble with conversations. He is seven also. He likes to read a bunch of different books, mostly fiction and to enjoy them I suppose. He doesn't get lost in books but can in movies if he sits long enough and mostly his own thoughts.

For me, I grew up escaping my life through books and completely blocked out everything. My preference is fiction/fantasy/suspense of all kinds besides horror and romance. I like a bit of romance, but within the overall story of adventure. Now, I read because I've always loved to read and envision the story in my mind to the point I forget that I'm actually reading a book. I don't care what's popular. If it interests me it interests me.

I do like to read/watch documentaries, biographies, history, wildlife and all kinds of non-fiction as well. It depends on what I'm interested in at the moment.

rainfall

Same for our son. He learned to read first, as he just started to have smaller conversations a year ago. He has some difficulty comprehending as he reads, as his focus is on one task at a time. I grew up escaping not by reading, but by analyzing others and their interactions, and societal issues, from a distance in real life and through television. I was very introspective and questioning everything. I still do to this day.

Dadwith2Austisticsons said:
I grew up escaping not by reading, but by analyzing others and their interactions, and societal issues, from a distance in real life and through television. I was very introspective and questioning everything. I still do to this day.

I used to call it 'people watching'. I didn't escape through this but I always loved to do it. It's interesting how different everyone is and what they do when they believe no one in particular is watching them. I was and am not creepy about it though.:D

My childhood was pretty traumatic and so by having to learn the moods of some particular people around me, I didn't have to watch others to learn how people did things. I became 'hyper aware' I guess, of other's feelings, moods and behaviors although I still have trouble with some things and have to ask what they mean because my mind went completely blank. :rolleyes:o_O

I have always wanted to get into reading, but just don't have the ability to build up the image of what is happening in the book. However, I read a lot of reference books.

I used to call it 'people watching'. I didn't escape through this but I always loved to do it. It's interesting how different everyone is and what they do when they believe no one in particular is watching them. I was and am not creepy about it though.:D

My childhood was pretty traumatic and so by having to learn the moods of some particular people around me, I didn't have to watch others to learn how people did things. I became 'hyper aware' I guess, of other's feelings, moods and behaviors although I still have trouble with some things and have to ask what they mean because my mind went completely blank. :rolleyes:o_O

Same here. I grew up with a traumatic childhood, with an alcoholic father and mentally ill mother. I learned to cope by being silent and trying to make sense of things. This meant I was hypervigilant, and I had to be one step ahead of everyone else, and it also meant I had to be perfect or else things could get worse. Good things came out of that bad situation though, as I learned to think well under stress and have more patience, empathy, creativity, and write of course.

I have always wanted to get into reading, but just don't have the ability to build up the image of what is happening in the book. However, I read a lot of reference books.

If I read the same fast pace as I write, I would be the exact same way. The only way I can comprehend things is if I break readings down and read at a very slow pace, and reread certain things if I am losing the plot or meaning.

It seems, by your description, that you would be interested in what I wrote. I am no longer able to read much anymore. I wrote my book for other NTs, to reach them on a deeper level, and express my sadness in the world/joy in the inherent good of humanity. I wanted to tell my story and introduce my experience with autism as well. Unfortunately, I have been largely ignored. I am very sad about my inability to relate to other NTs.

I have retreated to a more comfortable place for me, seeking peace around those on the spectrum. I like this site for that reason. But if you mean what you say about your reading interests, please give my book a read. I would greatly appreciate your reaction to it.

What's the name of your book? Where can I find it?

Hi Sabrina,

It's called Few Return to the Sunlit Lands, and there is a link to it below in my signature. Right now, I have it as low-priced as Amazon will allow. If you do not have a Kindle, you can still read it on any device by getting the free app. If you like the description, I would love to have you read it!

I mean for those who love to read, do you prefer to read to mostly learn, to be entertained, or to like escape from reality a bit?

All of the above. I also read to understand people, I understand text better than speech most of the time.....my brain translates the words people say into text images in my head -- no image usually means I can't even identify the word, let alone understand it.

Do you have a preference for fiction or non-fiction?

No. I like both depending on the day and what I need and want and where my head is at.

Do you prefer a certain book, a certain genre of book, or a certain author?

Depends/changes/yes/no/maybe? The context of your question is too big.

Ever since I was little, I have gone on "book jags" kind of like "food jags". I would/will read one book, or one author, or every book in one series, again and again and again and again until I don't want to anymore for whatever reason. (I will also read exclusively on one subject sometimes -- whether in nonfiction or fiction -- but that's a different thing.)

I like descriptive/action-based/highly-visual/sensory writing style better than massively abstracted writing style. I like graphic novels and comic books.

I have favorite/beloved books. I tend to like fantasy/sci-fi more than anything else, and dislike murder mysteries and gore/violence and oozy stereotyped romance in written fiction just as I dislike them in any other storytelling medium.

Do you prefer soft cover, hard cover or some electronic file to read? Is price a big consideration?

I like real paper more than digital. I use the library -- I can't afford to buy books, normally, unless they are the $1 or $2 ones at library book sales. If I really want to read something and the library doesn't have it, will not take up my suggestion to buy it and I can't get it through interlibrary loan and have to save up money to buy it then I will do so.

Do you want to read popular books, books with authors that have high credentials, or does the cover or subject play a big role mainly in what you read?

Sometimes the books I want to read are popular. When I want credible information on a highly specialized topic then I will seek out authors who have particular credentials (whether life experience or a doctorate). The cover can draw me to a book if I don't have anything in mind and am just browsing for whatever looks interesting, but it's not really important.

I read quite a lot of different things. If it's something where I'm learning then it would have to be something that I'm already interested in and usually connected to my special interests. Other than that, I like fiction but I've never been able to stand anything written in the first person. I love Harry Potter, books by Michael Crichton, the Frost series by R.D. Wingfield and the Rizoli and Isles books by Tess Gerritsen.

All of the above. I also read to understand people, I understand text better than speech most of the time.....my brain translates the words people say into text images in my head -- no image usually means I can't even identify the word, let alone understand it.

No. I like both depending on the day and what I need and want and where my head is at.

Depends/changes/yes/no/maybe? The context of your question is too big.

Ever since I was little, I have gone on "book jags" kind of like "food jags". I would/will read one book, or one author, or every book in one series, again and again and again and again until I don't want to anymore for whatever reason. (I will also read exclusively on one subject sometimes -- whether in nonfiction or fiction -- but that's a different thing.)

I like descriptive/action-based/highly-visual/sensory writing style better than massively abstracted writing style. I like graphic novels and comic books.

I have favorite/beloved books. I tend to like fantasy/sci-fi more than anything else, and dislike murder mysteries and gore/violence and oozy stereotyped romance in written fiction just as I dislike them in any other storytelling medium.

I like real paper more than digital. I use the library -- I can't afford to buy books, normally, unless they are the $1 or $2 ones at library book sales. If I really want to read something and the library doesn't have it, will not take up my suggestion to buy it and I can't get it through interlibrary loan and have to save up money to buy it then I will do so.

Sometimes the books I want to read are popular. When I want credible information on a highly specialized topic then I will seek out authors who have particular credentials (whether life experience or a doctorate). The cover can draw me to a book if I don't have anything in mind and am just browsing for whatever looks interesting, but it's not really important.

Thank you for taking the time to answer so many of those questions. It really helps to learn from others what they like to read, why, and when, and how they process things.

I read quite a lot of different things. If it's something where I'm learning then it would have to be something that I'm already interested in and usually connected to my special interests. Other than that, I like fiction but I've never been able to stand anything written in the first person. I love Harry Potter, books by Michael Crichton, the Frost series by R.D. Wingfield and the Rizoli and Isles books by Tess Gerritsen.

I prefer reading only things I am interested in too, like books with adventure, intrigue, and an important message, but that I could envision as happening in real life.

One critique I have of many school systems is they have students just read the classics for homework that are passed down from generation to generation. Why cannot students have choices? Students have different preferences.

This is a useful and interesting thread. I'm NT and tutor autistic students who are trying to obtain a GED. My students are in their late teens and early 20s and were unable to graduate from high school for a variety of reasons. Very few of them are readers and most struggle with reading comprehension. Many come from poor socio-economic backgrounds where they were never encouraged to read by their parents or caretakers. They spend their free time watching TV which is a vast intellectual wasteland for the most part in my opinion. Many lack proper grammar because they were not exposed to it while growing up. Consequently, it is nearly impossible to teach them how to write a grammatical sentence or proper punctuation. Those who were reared in homes where proper English was spoken do much better in class and are more likely to pass the GED examination than the others because proper English sounds correct to their ears and comes naturally to them. I urge all of my students to read in their spare time to improve their reading comprehension, grammar, punctuation and creativity but it is truly an uphill battle for many.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from you about how to persuade them to read on their own and what books are more likely to engage them.

Learned to read when I was three. My godparents were retired schoolteachers and loved having such a willing pupil.

After that we moved a lot and I mowed through every library available. Would get a few bucks from my grandparents when we went to flea markets and I would get more books that way. Around nine or so I would get adult books on my father's library card; history and biographies and science, still favorite categories. For me, it's easier to get good nonfiction than good fiction.

In fiction, I read almost everything except romance and "women's novels"; military stuff does not interest me except in a history or thriller context; mainstream and literary fiction has this terrible tendency to be plotless and boring - pages of navel gazing does not interest me. I love thrillers, mystery, detective, horror, and science fiction the best.

Anything has to be written really well for me to enjoy it. Since I am also a writer, I can't handle bad styles or stupid plotting. That is when I bail early, like the book I tried recently where the author used up their lifetime quota of exclamation marks in the first three chapters.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from you about how to persuade them to read on their own and what books are more likely to engage them.

YA fantasy is in a golden age, I think, like Harry Potter and the Hunger Games series. But they need not restrict themselves as they get better, either. As a teen, I loved escapist fiction far more than Real Life. Dune and the Lord of the Rings trilogy were the kinds of books that let my brain soar.

This is a useful and interesting thread. I'm NT and tutor autistic students who are trying to obtain a GED. My students are in their late teens and early 20s and were unable to graduate from high school for a variety of reasons. Very few of them are readers and most struggle with reading comprehension. Many come from poor socio-economic backgrounds where they were never encouraged to read by their parents or caretakers. They spend their free time watching TV which is a vast intellectual wasteland for the most part in my opinion. Many lack proper grammar because they were not exposed to it while growing up. Consequently, it is nearly impossible to teach them how to write a grammatical sentence or proper punctuation. Those who were reared in homes where proper English was spoken do much better in class and are more likely to pass the GED examination than the others because proper English sounds correct to their ears and comes naturally to them. I urge all of my students to read in their spare time to improve their reading comprehension, grammar, punctuation and creativity but it is truly an uphill battle for many.

Mary, first of all, I would like to commend you on being a tutor to those with Autism as although I do not have that condition growing up I preferred tutoring over traditional learning where teaching was not individualized.

Secondly, I relate to what you say as I had parents who did not encourage reading, nor where they educated to even the high school level. We watched television a lot as children, and while that can have drawbacks, there can be some benefit.

I mean in order to learn from others besides our parents we needed to see others too who could speak and act more properly. Yes, the violence and other stuff was not proper to see over and over, but children cannot be protected totally from that.

I learned some at school, but to be honest I learned more on my own. I could not concentrate on what the teachers were saying, and I was not comfortable in classrooms with other students. They had their teaching lecture ways that did not interest me.

I had a hard time comprehending and reading the traditional ways. To this day, I still do. This does not mean I could not succeed or graduate, as I graduated high school, college, and then university. But, I did it my way.

I feel in order to get the best out of your students regarding reading:

(1) Find out what interests them. The student will be more motivated learning those things and new things if you get them in that more positive frame of mind instead of just teaching material they may not be interested in.

(2) Teach in the way best for each student, as some like hands on activity learning, some like auditory learning, while some are visual learning, or some like a combination.

Lectures and reading textbooks that were mandated bored me. Educational stimulating DVDs and learning on his iPad is what our 7-year old Autistic son learned lots from. He hated reading books until he mastered reading words, sentence structure in these more visual ways.

For science projects he loves making experiments with his hands. Each child though will be different, depending on their condition, tastes, and learning ways needed.

(3) Instruct at the pace best for each student. Some may learn quicker for some material, but want to go slower for other things. I to this day still have to reread all passages to understand it. That is because of a need to process everything. Some students may like to jump around. Other people may need things broken down before moving forward. Teachers often teach in one way to all, and at one pace.

(4) Positive feedback and encouragement may help too. Focus on efforts more so than immediate results. In school and at home I rarely got this, so as I got older I had to resort to self-praise.

(5) If sensory issues are involved, try to make things more calming and relaxing by removing that sensory trigger or adding a needed sensory thing.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom