• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bloodlines, Body Parts, and Identification

Bodies...

• ...can be fascniating!

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • ...and kinda gross sometimes. Was that a wart??

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
As some probably know, I'm an artist. Primarily a portrait artist, as far as earning money with it goes. Which gets a little awkward sometimes for reasons you can probably imagine. Culture and ancestry are some of the many things I'm very interested in, so it went hand in hand with my need to research different kinds of faces for my side job. And a few years ago, I stumbled across Joumana Medlej and her gorgeous details of the human body: http://majnouna.com/tutorials.html Jackpot!! Two birds, one stone. So many little bits of trivia from physical characteristics to cultural references, and so many features clearly labeled for me to practice drawing and hopefully do a better job when creating portraits.

I also learned I primarily identify people by the nose and the jaw, secondarily by eye brows and facial shape, and not counting obvious factors like height and weight. Color is a royal pain, at least as far as most women are concerned, because their hair and skin keep changing as they dye or tan themselves. Lately I seem to have started a private game with myself trying to guess where people are from based on their noses.

And for a mutt like me that currently doesn't have any records on ancestry beyond what's been passed down orally, it was a lot of fun trying to find where all my parts came from. I've narrowed down all but where I got my proportions. I suspect I probably am part frog or giraffe. :p

For those of you who can look people in the face, what feature do you focus on and identify people by the most?

Is culture and/or ancestry one of your interests, either passing or something more?

Did you look to see where your parts came from based on her studies? :D

Also, for Aspies who struggle with recognizing emotions based on facial expressions, I recommend this: http://majnouna.com/creation/emotut.html It's an invaluable resources for artists, especially comic artists, and I do believe it's simple enough it could be pretty useful among Aspies too.

Genetics, specifically how various birth disorders affect one's appearance is one of my hobbies. The Tutmoid blood line of Ancient Egypt (primarily the 18th dynasty) is a fascinating study in that when you look at the physical evidence, the painting and statues and, the myriad of speculation involving that line.

Whether fact or artistic changes, the line goes form a very African, dark skinned appearance to, a European appearance. There was a lot of inbreeding so, features are amplified more and more as you move to more recent times in that bloodline. The males especially, become more and more feminine in appearance, tier noses and chins narrow, and, if contemporary are is to be trusted, their skin gets lighter as the age.

Personally I have both native American and French ancestors so, I can easily pick out with bits of me came from which nationality. Curly hair is clearly French, blue to hazel eyes most likely French though one of my ancestors was an albino Native American so, light eyes is possible there, wide nose, high cheek bones both Native American. Reddish tone when I tan, Native American, near Ghost white if not tanned French. Full lips, Native American female specific. Hair that is turning black rather than gray as I age, Native American. (was rich warm, dark brown with red tone highlights when I was younger.)

Genetics, specifically how various birth disorders affect one's appearance is one of my hobbies. The Tutmoid blood line of Ancient Egypt (primarily the 18th dynasty) is a fascinating study in that when you look at the physical evidence, the painting and statues and, the myriad of speculation involving that line.

Whether fact or artistic changes, the line goes form a very African, dark skinned appearance to, a European appearance. There was a lot of inbreeding so, features are amplified more and more as you move to more recent times in that bloodline. The males especially, become more and more feminine in appearance, tier noses and chins narrow, and, if contemporary are is to be trusted, their skin gets lighter as the age.
Egyptians are definitely on the future study list. I understand how domesticating animals changes the shape of their bones and color of their fur just from the lack of adrenaline and associated changes that come from simply being friendly with humans (and kept the stock well varied to avoid health defects like in some dogs, cats, and horses), and I understand how climate changes your body whether human or critter. But inbreeding alone having those kinds of effects will be fascinating to study!

Personally I have both native American and French ancestors so, I can easily pick out with bits of me came from which nationality. Curly hair is clearly French, blue to hazel eyes most likely French though one of my ancestors was an albino Native American so, light eyes is possible there, wide nose, high cheek bones both Native American. Reddish tone when I tan, Native American, near Ghost white if not tanned French. Full lips, Native American female specific. Hair that is turning black rather than gray as I age, Native American. (was rich warm, dark brown with red tone highlights when I was younger.)
That explains a lot. I think I saw you post a picture of yourself as a kid and the curly hair made me pretty curious as to whether it was naturally or styled.

Sidenote: I may use this as a tool when I teach nonverbal communication! Thank you!!! :D
I've had a field day with it. And privately may have made monkey faces in the mirror. :p

It's a mild interest of mine, to some extent. Sometimes I FEEL like I can find someones basic ancestry by looking at their features when I feel I know enough, but usually I'm hopeless :p

For me it's more of surnames. I got obsessed with the idea recently, but trying to find someones roots by their surname, I'm best at identifying GZaelic names in general, not just last names. But pretty much all of my Caucasian friends have Irish ancestry, so it's not as exiting anymore cause I'll guess it anyway hahaha.f

When you mean indentifying someone, do you mean how you recognize someone? That sentence kinda confused me. As for focuisng on a certain feuture, either the hair, eyes or nose. I know eyes seems a bit weird for an aspie, but I can look people int he eyes depending on who they are. Well, for a certain amount of time, I can never constantly sustain eye contact, not even with my brother. Only my parents. But yeah, eyes are really interesting to me, especially since mine are so boring lol. Color is really fascinating for me, especially blue eyes, which is orinic since that's the eye color I find hardest to sustain eye contact with.

As for my features, I can't really identify my acenstry by them, because firstly like I said I'm hopeless at that stuff aside form very obvious things like skin color and eyes + skull type (but only a bit). So I don't know what really know what my features would allude to. But also because the whole of my relatives are Indian as far as records go, but keep in mind we don't have that many records lol. but the thing is my dad doesn't really look Indian, and most of all neither do I (to other people.) I look very different from my indian classmates. I've got really curly hair (different from the typical long straight hair of indian women), but also I've got really full lips, and just my whole face in general people think I'm from some place else. My schoolmates think I'm black/ african-american most of the itme, and adults think I'm either half black half white, biracial in some way, or latin american. Very few think I'm indian, but some do. But it's pretty cool to be "racially ambigous", because I can dress up as a lot of different people and be convincing.
Despite my confusion, I am pretty sure I have some Portuguese blood. Because both my parents were raised Catholic, and a lot of people assume I'm Hindu when i say I'm Indian. And the Portuguese came to Goa and converted a bunch of people (at least i think that's how it goes, don't kill me if I'm wrong lol), and most of all my surname is Portuguese. So perhaps that explains the hair :D:cool:

All of my immediate family has been wanting to take a DNA ancestry test, so hopefully that takes place and I'll see how it goes!

When you mean indentifying someone, do you mean how you recognize someone? That sentence kinda confused me. As for focuisng on a certain feuture, either the hair, eyes or nose. I know eyes seems a bit weird for an aspie, but I can look people int he eyes depending on who they are. Well, for a certain amount of time, I can never constantly sustain eye contact, not even with my brother. Only my parents. But yeah, eyes are really interesting to me, especially since mine are so boring lol. Color is really fascinating for me, especially blue eyes, which is orinic since that's the eye color I find hardest to sustain eye contact with.
Yeah. I recognize friends and family by noses and stuff. Dogs sniff butts, I perform imaginary rhinoplasty. ;)
(Isn't it kinda rude to call nose jobs rhinoplasty since rhinos have big noses?)

But also because the whole of my relatives are Indian as far as records go, but keep in mind we don't have that many records lol.
India Indian or Native American Indian? I always get those two mixed up.

One more reason in a long list of reasons why men should stop and ask for directions instead of just wandering around lost. :D

Yeah. I recognize friends and family by noses and stuff. Dogs sniff butts, I perform imaginary rhinoplasty. ;)
(Isn't it kinda rude to call nose jobs rhinoplasty since rhinos have big noses?)

Ah I see. That's pretty cool. I never really thought of how I identified my friends, I think it's just faces really. I'm pretty good at telling people from the back of their heads though. And I am a master at recognizing people from far distances Though, that may be more for certain people than for the rest. Especially depending on the nature of my feelings towards them if, uh, you get what I mean... :oops::rolleyes: haha well it's certainly a good platform for my friends to tease me.

And the Rhinoplasty thing is an interesting theory... purposeful irony maybe? haha I doubt it, probably just the scientific term of the procedure. Maybe.

India Indian or Native American Indian? I always get those two mixed up.

One more reason in a long list of reasons why men should stop and ask for directions instead of just wandering around lost. :D

India Indian :) but I'm born in the US and often say I'm American-Indian in the sense of ethnically Indian but American nationality-wise, but now I either just say one or the other because people assume I mean Native American. But it's pretty cool because like I mentioned, people believe me because I can pass off as a lot of ethnicities somewhat. However I've got an American (East Side) accent so that's probably one of the many reasons people think I'm African-American at first. But yeah, India Indian :) though I'm not super Indian or anything. A lot of people think I'm super spiritually connected to India or something like that. I mean, I eat curry a lot, but that's about it haha.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The Phantom Indian is a problem in this country (USA) half of the "pale faces" or more claim they have Indian in them, usually Cherokee because that's the most popular tribe in pop culture. Most do not have one drop of Native blood in them so, in many areas it's nearly derogatory.

Indian, as in from India is nearly as derogatory in some places and, half of these fools over here dump all tan skinned people that don't speak Spanish under the general category of "rag head." I've got a Canadian born Indian from India friend (his mother is of UK descent and his father immigrated from India) and it's funny when we both say we are halfbreeds but one of us had a ruby headdress and the other has a feather headdress. LOL

As I tell him, "it don't matter to me, an Indian is an Indian and you and me iz one." :p

Actually some of the coolest people I know are from, or their ancestors are from Pakistan, India, Iran, Iraq, Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

The Phantom Indian is a problem in this country (USA) half of the "pale faces" or more claim they have Indian in them, usually Cherokee because that's the most popular tribe in pop culture. Most do not have one drop of Native blood in them so, in many areas it's nearly derogatory.

Indian, as in from India is nearly as derogatory in some places and, half of these fools over here dump all tan skinned people that don't speak Spanish under the general category of "rag head." I've got a Canadian born Indian from India friend (his mother is of UK descent and his father immigrated from India) and it's funny when we both say we are halfbreeds but one of us had a ruby headdress and the other has a feather headdress. LOL

As I tell him, "it don't matter to me, an Indian is an Indian and you and me iz one." :p

Actually some of the coolest people I know are from, or their ancestors are from Pakistan, India, Iran, Iraq, Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, I've heard of a lot of Americans claim they have Native American blood, and so they get these feather, dreamcatcher or something related tattoos to 'honor' it or something, when in reality someone in their family probably made it up and deluded the rest into thinking so. Or they just want to seem cool.

And yes, sadly, besides Native, India Indian is very derogatory. The sterotypes of being smelly (I shower twice a day and never less, thank you very much :D ), rude, cheap, and sadly, a rapist, and just being awful in general are connected to India. I've been really disheartened by some comments on YouTube, when I was watching a Bollywood parody of Thriller (it's so corny it's absolutely hilarious) , and people saying India is so terrible they can't even come up with original content, and that the video in question was a reason to Nuke India. Another one said that Indians make him so mad everytime they talk we wants to 'Piss on them.' I'm so lucky to be more ambiguous in my ethnicity, because otherwise people would surely make some specific insults at me (although some think I'm Spanish but don't say anything) ,though this is about strangers. My classmates either make some basic Indian jokes at me, or African jokes, but I don't care, in fact my humour is pretty twisted so I laugh along. I've already made every Indian joke in the book so they can't affect me. Even if they did, I take one step towards them and they run away, because I scare pretty much everyone lol.
I have a friend who is mixed (UK and Chinese) and he likes to joke about being a 'Half-Breed' or 'A hybrid'.
and that's pretty cool youv'e foun great people of that kind of descent.

And yes, I agree on your quote to your friend :)

I suspect my oldest special interest, history, stimulated an interest in peoples faces and how certain features seem to come from certain places or groups of people. Its one of the things that makes history a continuum for me.

I never can pick out what I am actually measuring or seeing though. I know it when I see it as more of a memory. A new face will remind me of some I have seen in pictures or paintings or perhaps in person in some location.

Its kind of like a discovery to me when I find a particularly ancient face in a living person today. Such as seeing someone who looks exactly like the bust of Plato or a statue of a Dying Gaul.

Let's keep the racism to the private messages, please. I made the thread in celebration of differences and the nuances of genetics, not to perpetuate or brood on problems.

Its kind of like a discovery to me when I find a particularly ancient face in a living person today. Such as seeing someone who looks exactly like the bust of Plato or a statue of a Dying Gaul.
Those are always exciting! I have to keep it to myself though when it happens. A lot of the Renaissance paintings and older works had artistic nudity and the person next to me might think I'm saying they're dressed indecently. :p

I wasn't trying to be racist :( I'm sorry.
No worries. I might start a thread in the future for strange or amusing stereotypes and rumor. There are some pretty goofy ones out there. :)

Cool! The info in second link I was partially familiar with. I knew those from really cold climates had long, skinny noses so as to better warm air entering the body, while those with short and broad noses was for cooling purposes. I didn't know about sinus cavity size though. I also wonder if it's a factor in sinus problems? A lot of my relatives seem to constantly sniff and sneeze.

New Threads

Top Bottom