• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Blood donation

I've given most of my adult life, bar one period of about a year when I was on the anti-acne drug Roaccutane. In the UK the minimum time between donations is 12 weeks, but I find I'm more likely to fail the haemoglobin test under 16 weeks.

I gave last week. First time for a double red cell donation.
For years I was afraid to do it. I finally got talked into it 3 or 4 years ago.
I've seen a few people get sick and pass out. It turned out that the worst part for me is the sting from the iodine when the needle goes in.

I gave blood once.
At the time I weighed 105 pounds.
I watched the needle insertion and I was ok.
The nurse said I was doing as well as "the big girls."

After I had convulsions, they let me have as many
of the cookies as I wanted, the nurse drove me the
30 miles home from school, and they told me to
not give blood again.

Don't mind giving blood once a year or so and have for a long time. It's kind of a pay back. When I was in my early twenties I was in a car accident and lost a great deal of blood before I was taken to hospital, where they transfused five pints of blood. If it were not for the people who donated, I wouldn't have made it.

I think that everyone who is medically capable should give blood, it is such a quick, easy thing to do, and it saves lives (such as my sister who was in a car accident recently). Also you get lots of free chocolate biscuits and crisps, yum.

I have been giving as often as I can since I turned 18, which for women in the UK is every 16 weeks, except for after having my tattoos. Unfortunately I spent the last few months in Madagascar so I can't donate for another 6 months. To begin with I was worried about what effect it would have on me, as I have poor circulation, low blood pressure, and am prone to fainting, but it's fine.

Don't mind giving blood once a year or so and have for a long time. It's kind of a pay back. When I was in my early twenties I was in a car accident and lost a great deal of blood before I was taken to hospital, where they transfused five pints of blood. If it were not for the people who donated, I wouldn't have made it.
Which country do you live in? In the UK anyone who's ever received blood is not allowed to donate.

Good for you! I was a blood donor, and still would be if they could get a vein; unfortunately, my veins have "collapsed" and they can't get the blood out.
It's a bit scary the first time, but then you get used to it. If you're obsessed with blood/the human body etc, it can be fun watching the blood come out and into the bag; if you don't like that, you can look away or close your eyes.
I also worked in the office of the Blood Transfusion Service for a while, and learnt a lot, so here are a few pointers to consider. If they can't get enough blood out in the time allotted, they'll give up; there are chemicals in the bag to stop the blood clotting, to preserve it etc, so they have to have a certain amount to get the mix right. That's why you have to weigh a minimum 50K, as you'll faint if they take the right amount of blood from you. You can't donate if you're going to fly the same day or you might feel ill.
If you've had body piercings and/or tattoos in the last year, they'll suspend you until the time has lapsed to ensure you don't have any infections; and you can't donate for a year after giving birth, whether you breast-feed or not as you need the blood yourself.
They keep changing the rules, and there are a lot of them, so if you're not sure about something, just ask.

I have donated a couple of times, but have been unable to lately because it flares up my fibromyalgia. Seems that A- is a bit uncommon so I wish I could do more. I strongly encourage you to donate as you are able. It is really not an unpleasant experience at all.

I donated blood for the first time back in July. I really enjoyed the fact that I was helping others, but the woman drawing my blood was rude to me.

I've given most of my adult life, bar one period of about a year when I was on the anti-acne drug Roaccutane. In the UK the minimum time between donations is 12 weeks, but I find I'm more likely to fail the haemoglobin test under 16 weeks.

I've always wanted to go and give blood, but there's always a reason I can't. Usually it's a piercing or most recently because I'd had my first tattoo. I was on Roaccutane too and that was what stopped me last year.

Which country do you live in? In the UK anyone who's ever received blood is not allowed to donate.

My Mum isn't allowed to give blood because of this. She had a blood transfusion when she gave birth to me, in 1986.

In the U.S., which is where I am, you have to be 16+ to donate blood. Considering I am 16+ and want to do some good in the world, I might donate blood. I don't have any health problems, either. I am a bit scared of needles, though. I still need to have my Mom hold my hand when I get vaccinations.

New Threads

Top Bottom