• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Blocking threads

King_Oni

V.I.P Member
I'm not sure if it's within the realm of possibilities, but given the sensitivity to some members on some topics, would it be possible to implement an option where someone can choose to block topics from view so they don't show up in their activity feed?

I can imagine that seeing a topic that might be bothersome for someone, and will get bumped up every time someone replies to it, doesn't really give someone peace of mind.

Just an idea in relation to some recent events.

I'm all for this :D Maybe even make it where blocked members can't like your post too ?

I'm not sure if blocking members is a way to go in a community (even an online one). Yes, you can disagree with someone and it's fine to ignore someone, but limiting what this person might actually sympathize with seems a bit odd to me.

The entire notion of blocking a user already is a bit strange to me in general (well, for obvious reasons no one is blacklisted on my account here). Why would I want to limit the information provided? I think as staff, we try our best to keep specific posts that are meant to be offensive (and just that) at bay and take action accordingly so that it would result in an overall friendly and laidback atmosphere on the forum. (note; mileage may vary on what you think is offensive and just out there to hurt people)

Also; think about this. Say, you limit someone in that he can't like your post. If I can't like your post, I'd be under suspicion that you blacklisted me. And I'll eventually would send you a private message asking why I'm blacklisted. That's a good start for personal issues on a forum... and those don't add to the atmosphere either.

Yes people don't always get along, but I think we're adult enough to just avoid each other to let personal issues and preferences spiral out of control.

I think it is a good idea King oni. I feel we have to think of the well being of our members as well.

Oh, for sure... I can totally understand the gravity of the situation about some topics on the forum and them being sensitive. But I think topics should be able to be discussed as long as they're well within forum rules.

I'm not a big fan of censorship, so blocking out or blacklisting topics in general seems a bit silly (even if there's a small selection of those already), but I guess if people want to censor their own newsfeed for whatever reason (because it's offensive, sensitive or any other reason), they should be able to do so

But in the end it's up to Brent to see if this can and will be implemented

I can't imagine how that would come about, but honestly, there's a need to toughen up if a simple "like" is enough to cause upset.

Never mind and forget it, I'm just a sheltered Aspie who never had a job or had any real world experience :/

I haven't had a job either, and I've also been sheltered, so that excuse really doesn't fly. You really need to grow up a little if you expect to survive on the Internet. You can't block out everything that bothers you. Take it from someone who knows firsthand. (I'm not trying to be mean---just honest.)

Then I guess it's time I took a vacation and stop acting like the internet is real :/

Or perhaps treat the internet as more real ;)

Afterall, you can't block reality as such either. But granted, internet in general requires someone to have a thick skin, since people will say things they wouldn't say in real life... that's what you get for going "long distance" and often behind a username. You should just be aware that that's how is and don't let things get to you that easily. If I were to get worked up over everything I see online, I wouldn't be able to lead a normal life and engage in any fun activities. I'd be mad at the world 24/7.

A minor correction: the Internet is still part of real life, and you should be aware of your conduct lest it come back to haunt you in the future. The ability to remain relatively anonymous in certain parts of it means that people will feel more comfortable saying and doing whatever they want. Sometimes the end result is unpleasant, and we have to deal with that. (Naturally, if it's something like severe harassment or any sort of criminal activity, it should be reported and dealt with properly.)

But most of us only deal with the sort of thing that can be brushed off fairly easily. It's something I learned to do a while ago. It's not easy, but it's not impossible.

The Internet can be a really awful place for very sensitive people. I've been on one too many forums and irc channels over the years which I would likely describe as "putting your hand in a blender". But never the less, it is what it is. The only thing we can do is adapt in our own way, and the best we can- whatever that might mean. Without relying on overt censorship.

And in the meantime be thankful we have one place to go online that isn't really like that and probably not likely to be so in the future.

Like how I adapted from having my ass kicked on a daily basis by developing reasoning skills because I have low muscle tone and hit like a toddler ?

Like how I adapted from having my ass kicked on a daily basis by developing reasoning skills because I have low muscle tone and hit like a toddler ?

Well, that's one way of going at it... though one could work out and not hit like a toddler ;) just a suggestion

Is that sarcasm? I can't tell.

However you adapt should reflect something that works for you in your own mind...not against you.

Is that sarcasm? I can't tell.

However you adapt should reflect something that works for you in your own mind...not against you.

No, sorry if it did :/ I was meaning to say that there's things that I'm really frustrated with about myself ...

Well, that's one way of going at it... though one could work out and not hit like a toddler ;) just a suggestion

It's a bit more complicated than that lol I fully understand it but if I don't work out after a while I get small looking arms with the fat hanging down. I think I have more fat on my body than muscle ..

No, sorry if it did :/ I was meaning to say that there's things that I'm really frustrated with about myself ...

I suspect most of us here can say that. I get frustrated not being able to properly parse sarcasm. But neither can I expect people not to be sarcastic on my account. Or control some of my OCD rituals. At times I feel like a moron- or worse, just plain helpless.

But I also accept that with life comes some limitations. That at times we are the bug, and other times the windshield. That we can only protect and improve ourselves so much in what at times is a very harsh world.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom