• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bipolar and AS

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Does bipolar look different for aspies?

I was researching it some last night, taking quizzes and stuff, and some of those symptoms they list just don't apply to me, no matter what mood I'm in.

For example, I'm rarely talkative, at least, not out loud. I might be especially chatty online when I'm going through a high mood, but face to face I'm still locked down. When I'm feeling "on top of the world", it's not so much that I think so highly of myself like in a grandiose way, but more believing that I'm capable of accomplishing lots of tasks all in one day (in other words, more task-oriented than people-oriented). For me, "reckless spending" doesn't look like a shopping spree, but maybe I buy several books related to my special interest or, if I'm really feeling good, I'll buy enough paint for a couple of rooms in my house even if I'm not sure I'll have the time to do the painting (I'll get to it eventually, right? And who needs sleep when you're excited about painting a room!).

I wonder. I've questioned if i'm bipolar myself, because i'm always either really down or really happy, but like you said some of the listed symptoms just aren't in the realm of possibility. If i'm in a really good mood its because i've suddenly gotten really excited about something hobby-related that i get really into, like special interest into. I'll stay up half the night, regretting it in the morning, during these times. I'm normally frugal with money but i'll also spend it more casually; nothing big, i've never been a spender i was raised without money to even spend. But i'll buy myself a new shirt or two or a necklace, nothing expensive just a little something just because i saw it and i wanted it once or twice.

But to the point, yes i've wondered this too. Some of the symptoms seem way out there for me, like i would never do that its just not within my personality. Its not how i operate. I've never been talkative, and i learned early on nobody wants to hear what i've got to say so why would i suddenly become really talkative? That sort of thing gets me. Idk if maybe its just me overanalyzing myself and wanting to have bipolar just to explain my relative insanity, or maybe it really does look different in aspies.

Does bipolar look different for aspies?

I was researching it some last night, taking quizzes and stuff, and some of those symptoms they list just don't apply to me, no matter what mood I'm in.

For example, I'm rarely talkative, at least, not out loud. I might be especially chatty online when I'm going through a high mood, but face to face I'm still locked down. When I'm feeling "on top of the world", it's not so much that I think so highly of myself like in a grandiose way, but more believing that I'm capable of accomplishing lots of tasks all in one day (in other words, more task-oriented than people-oriented). For me, "reckless spending" doesn't look like a shopping spree, but maybe I buy several books related to my special interest or, if I'm really feeling good, I'll buy enough paint for a couple of rooms in my house even if I'm not sure I'll have the time to do the painting (I'll get to it eventually, right? And who needs sleep when you're excited about painting a room!).

I believe that AS masks many co-morbid conditions, including depression and anxiety, maybe just because we're so used to hiding everything to try to blend in?
Have you looked at Cyclothemia, a mild form of Bipolar? I find I tick many boxes there, myself.

Cyclothymia Test

My score:
You have very high chances
You have very high chances so consult your personal doctor and he will refer you to psychiatrist. You may call suicidal hotline by searching “suicide” term with out quotes in search engine.

Have you looked at Cyclothemia, a mild form of Bipolar? I find I tick many boxes there, myself.

Yes, I looked into that. My low end is way too low to just be cyclothymia. But the "high" end barely (maybe) qualifies as hypomanic. And yet, I do experience cycles. It's on-off. And consistent with bipolar, antidepressants don't work for me or cause more problems than they solve. Even St. John's Wort was counter-productive.

But if I could somehow adjust the wording on some of the qualifications for hypomania, I think it would be much more clearly bipolar. So that's why I was wondering if maybe it looks different in people with AS, just like AS itself looks different in females than it does in males.

Sometimes my moods do fluctuate wildly, but that tends to be after very bad events. I guess to use a worn out analogy, bad events are like dropping a rock into water. At first, ripples and waves everywhere! And then it calms back down to the usual level of little ripples and waves, and so my emotional state is equally level. Some have tried telling me I'm bipolar. But the people who do also fit the "I don't have PMS, I just really don't like you" quote. :yum:
But I guess that's the kicker. Is bipolar irrational or is there always logic to the mood swings? Much in the same way I argue over somebody suggesting I'm depressed.

Whee, test! "You have low chances". Oo, lookie! More tests in the sidebar! Heh, low chance of cyclothymia, but I totally have a test-taking addiction! I took a lot of the others on the site. XD

I have Bipolar-NOS, and they way it manifests is DEFINITELY not the fun kind (you know, being euphoric, creative, all that jazz)...It's more like I get really irritable and get angry at the smallest things when I'm manic, and my head clouds over and I have blackouts. Fortunately for me and everyone around me, I have been on medication and have not had a true manic episode in years. I do think my AS has an influence on my particular manifestation.

I should add, even though I've been on medication, I occasional experience mixed states, which anyone with bipolar who has experienced them knows is one of the scariest things you can experience.

I would explain this way for me the AS is always present since it is how we are wired as it were but
the bipolar (rapid cycling in my case) acts as a volume knob either increasing or decreasing the natural AS.
In a euphoric happy mood I can almost completely overcome the AS becoming extremely social rivaling the best NT and having absolutely no fear to do anything I wish to. I still feel the urge to not be around a large group of people but am too happy to care. I take great advantage of these moments to socialize and express myself anyway I wish to. When I am too out of balance mind to body energy wise it makes my anxiety and social fear much worse. Thankfully with a strict routine of mental/physical discipline over 43 years the negative symptoms (depression,anxiety,etc) are weaker than they have ever been leaving me with about 80% positive moods and 20% or even less negative.

Daily cleansing of all negative emotions greatly weakens all the negative symptoms for me.
Exercise when I am too energetic/restless, using music or other positive triggers to satisfy and release the built up emotions. Avoiding all negative stress as best possible and carefully monitoring my various energy levels resting/meditating when I need to calm down my mind and burning off excess physical energy to keep the happy balance.
I can't stress enough how important it has been to truly be myself holding back nothing of the real me outside of work AS/bipolar quirkiness and all never hiding it to satisfy others leaving only the true friends who accept me unconditionally.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom