• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Biology and psychology: Testosterone and aggressive behavior in man

Jonn

V.I.P Member
Neuroimaging techniques in adult males have shown that testosterone activates the amygdala enhancing its emotional activity and its resistance to prefrontal restraining control. This effect is opposed by the action of cortisol which facilitates prefrontal area cognitive control on impulsive tendencies aroused in the subcortical structures. The degree of impulsivity is regulated by serotonin inhibiting receptors, and with the intervention of this neurotransmitter the major agents of the neuroendocrine influence on the brain process of aggression forms a triad. Testosterone activates the subcortical areas of the brain to produce aggression, while cortisol and serotonin act antagonistically with testosterone to reduce its effects.

Is this why sometimes I am prone to get frantic and violent when tired or overstimulated due to my autism? I really don't like this about myself but I don't know if it's something that can change...

There's no doubt that it makes men a little more tense. I have experienced heightened testosterone levels in connection with training when I was younger and it can be a strange experience. You're a little more tense. Even intense. You really feel it.

Last edited:
Yeah consistent with my observations, guys, me included tend to react with anger and imulsivity to negative experiences. While women are less prone to that. They respond with sadness and talk more instead of being ready to act.

Is this why sometimes I am prone to get frantic and violent when tired or overstimulated due to my autism? I really don't like this about myself but I don't know if it's something that can change...
I am hypersensitive to caffeine.
It also creates aggression, I have noticed.
I might research this also some time.

There's no doubt that it makes men a little more tense. I have experienced heightened testosterone levels in connection with training when I was younger and it can be a strange experience. You're a little more tense. Even intense. Some guy looks at you in a way you don't like and you're like "what, you want something?" in his face. But that's nature, just how it is. You have more energy and you're ready for anything. Especially when you're 20.
I suggested a connection between testosterone and aggression on another website, and it was instantly dismissed for some reason.
I decided to discuss this here on AF, where the community culture is more interested in discussions than point-scoring.

Yeah consistent with my observations, guys, me included tend to react with anger and imulsivity to negative experiences. While women are less prone to that. They respond with sadness and talk more instead of being ready to act.
There is a reason why most violent crime is perpetrated by males.
I suggest testosterone might be one of them.

Oh, that's interesting...I don't become violent because I'm necessarily angry and want to be violent; it's just...impulse. And learned behaviour from my father. But controlling it sometimes is just so, so hard.

I used to be aggressive when I was younger but somehow I learned to control it over time, but I experience it as meltdowns and panic attacks now. I can inhibit actions, but my speed goes up anyway and there is adrenaline. I mean aggressive in a sense that I used to be a reckless driver and got into minor fights. If something happened that I would believe to be a serious danger, I would lose it and beat up even a larger opponent. Sometimes I would get reckless in situations on the road, because of that. Training martial arts helped me a lot with anger control, because you face this feeling over and over and it allows you to get used to it and not act and use it to your advantage. I was pretty good at sparrings exactly because I fight quite aggressively, don't feel pain, fear.

I suggested a connection between testosterone and aggression on another website, and it was instantly dismissed for some reason.
I decided to discuss this here on AF, where the community culture is more interested in discussions than point-scoring.

I didn't know it was controversial. It's not as simple as "testosterone = aggression". But I have no doubt it can make men more aggressive, that's just natural, and that has helped us survive for a long, long time.

Last edited:
Tbh I think most people aren't violent because they want to, but because they lose it.
Yeah...I resonate with this too, unfortunately. As does my father but he'll never acknowledge it.

It's just so hard because I want to change this about myself but I worry it cannot happen.

Yeah...I resonate with this too, unfortunately. As does my father but he'll never acknowledge it.

It's just so hard because I want to change this about myself but I worry it cannot happen.
Martial arts have helped me a lot as I said above. It helps to learn to tolerate these feelings. It might also help to work on feelings, in psychotherapy or alone. Like what caused your feelings, how you perceived the situation on a subconscious level, where it came from.

As for meltdowns, idk, I think I just need to accept that it's more important that I feel okay than to pretend that I don't have sensory issues that most people think are quirks (they cause all the meltdowns that I have right now tbh).

you can see level of testosterone level of people by looking at their hands. Finger length ratio ring finger to index finger. first thing my sone did when he saw his new daughter.

Men should have high T. It's good for them. Low T is associated with so many health and psychological problems.

My fingers show I loaded with testosterone. I do not play sports so have no outlet. Wife's buddy as a woman is also loaded, she is a very bright woman argues with anyone. life's fun hanging with both of them. wife and I are intro verts. wife's friend is extravert.

My body used to be stronger when I had higher T, now even my cartilage is weaker, not only the muscle mass. I know hormones are the cause why the body gets weaker in older age.

That's a fact. "'Roid rage" is caused by artificially elevating testosterone levels beyond anything natural. Elevated testosterone is associated with the impulsive behavior of adolescence. Testosterone doesn't "make" you violent but instead reduces inhibitory control of violent urges. (Lots of reasons one might be violent other than testosterone.)

Increasing testosterone above normal levels (whatever they may be) can leave you more easily sexually aroused. This applies to females too. Being aroused generally also increases testosterone levels. Nice little feedback loop there. ☺

I don't think it is a fixed relationship. Every body has a different level that is normal for it and has minor fluctuations over time. (Guys have the most in the morning.) Your body "knows" what's normal for you. When testosterone floods your system, things get out of whack.

The primary source of estrogen in men is testosterone, which is converted by the enzyme aromatase. This is why bodybuilders on steroids often develop breasts that require cosmetic surgery to reduce. Artificially boosted testosterone is also linked to an enlarged prostate later in middle age.

From a hormonal perspective I think of a parallel with women who are pregnant. I think it's safe to say that most biological females like being women. Also, many of them who experience pregnancy enjoy the overall process. My wife is one of them. She loved being pregnant (overall). However, it was a period of time when her hormones were "off the charts" and extremely high. This resulted in a hormonally driven aspect of pregnancy that she didn't like; how it affected her mood and her emotions. She would cry so easily and without being able to stop that she'd start laughing while crying because the experience was ridiculously overwhelming. Intense level of hormones.

Now let's talk about high T for the parallel. Having extremely high natural T such as is typical in late adolescence to mid-twenties at least, is great if you have a willing sexual partner or partners because during that period you're basically a machine. If you don't have a sexual partner, high T can be extremely difficult and unpleasant. It's funny though how often men's experiences in this regard are waved off, but no one tells a pregnant woman overwhelmed with hormonal emotional activity to "just deal with it", nor are they generally shamed for it or made to feel guilty because of it.

There's a comedian named Larry Miller that was popular some decades prior. He had a joke he'd often tell that men everywhere could identify with. The premise being: "Women...you have no idea (about how sexually motivated and during that peak period, how all-consuming the sexual drive is for men). You think you know...but you have no idea."

It's just amazing how strong hormones can be at certain periods in our lives.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom