• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bible passage may point to purpose in Autism. Thoughts?

Wolfsage

In training to be Wolf King.
Remembered this one recently.
John 9:1 Context

1And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

Wondering if this doesn't also apply to Autism. Thoughts?

My reading of this is that the blindness of the man was there a priori so Jesus could "un-blind" him and bring him into the fold of "normality".

The parallel that I think you re making is that autistics are born with autism so Jesus can transform us to the usual norm of the world.

If this is what you are saying then I dont agree with the interpretation.
However, you may be saying something else - if so please let me know.

My reading of this is that the blindness of the man was there a priori so Jesus could "un-blind" him and bring him into the fold of "normality".

The parallel that I think you re making is that autistics are born with autism so Jesus can transform us to the usual norm of the world.

If this is what you are saying then I dont agree with the interpretation.
However, you may be saying something else - if so please let me know.

I see it as confirmation of a purpose for people to be born the way they are. Autism included. It gives me hope.

Interesting discussion. If Jesus is talking about autism, (that might be a big if, not sure) then I take it to mean that autism is present in the world for some sort of intentional purpose. We are you to do some sort of work. Seems like the last verse Jesus is talking about himself how he was sent for a purpose as well and has certain work that he needs to do.

That's my take, I could be wrong.

Another interesting passage in that regard starts in Mark 8:22. Jesus heals a blind man’s eyes and ask what he sees. He said he saw men, but they looked like trees walking. Jesus again touched his eyes and the man was completely healed.
One explanation ( ) is that Jesus was very tired or just botched the formula.
A stronger possibility is that Jesus was making clear that he can heal both the physical structures in our bodies, but is also able and willing to heal our perceptions. Eyes alone do not provide vision; our minds must get involved as well.
IMO, both of these passages apply to autism as much as to any other difficulty. Of course, that’s not to say that either of them throws specifically towards autism.
Good discussion. Thanks.

How does this passage confirm the purpose of those born with autism?

If the blind man is born blind to fulfill a purpose from God. Is it really a stretch to believe Autistics are not born with Autism to fulfill a purpose all their own?

If the blind man is born blind to fulfill a purpose from God. Is it really a stretch to believe Autistics are not born with Autism to fulfill a purpose all their own?

Yes @Wolfsage - I have no problem believing that Autistics fulfil God's purpose; my issue with the parallel is where the blind man fulfilled the Divine purpose by being healed. This bit is where, for me, the parallel does not quite follow.

It doesn’t seem to me that it points to any particular purpose for a person being born autistic, any more than being healed is the purpose assigned to being born blind.
Also, I see the breakdown of the parallel but it doesn’t worry me. I don’t see that Jesus said the man himself fulfilled God’s purpose, rather it was fulfilled on or in him. God knit me together in the womb for his own purposes, which included me being autistic. Just how (actually, how many ways) he fulfills his will in my life is his to ordain.
Guess I’m saying I see Wolfsage’s response of hope. The blind, the autist, the poet and the mute all have reason to hope because God heals. Here and now or when the meek inherit the earth, it’s gonna happen.

1And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.

This sounds an interesting thread however it is late and I am tired and I do not feel I can give it the attention it deserves so I will come back to us when I am more fit

I guess my knack for killing good discussions extends into autistic society as well.
you posted at 10 13 pm in my time zone so I am now only getting round to visiting the website.
I would not conclude that any thread killing skills have been exercised here

I Thought I might be able to interpret that but I don’t feel confident enough to be honest sorry.

It doesn’t seem to me that it points to any particular purpose for a person being born autistic, any more than being healed is the purpose assigned to being born blind.
Also, I see the breakdown of the parallel but it doesn’t worry me. I don’t see that Jesus said the man himself fulfilled God’s purpose, rather it was fulfilled on or in him. God knit me together in the womb for his own purposes, which included me being autistic. Just how (actually, how many ways) he fulfills his will in my life is his to ordain.
Guess I’m saying I see Wolfsage’s response of hope. The blind, the autist, the poet and the mute all have reason to hope because God heals. Here and now or when the meek inherit the earth, it’s gonna happen.
Yes, God makes everyone unique, we are all created equal in our human nature and worth but we are all unequal as individuals in that we all have our own unique skills, talents, challenges and way of seeing things. The man Our Lord heals is quite different from us, as well as from other blind people but God has given him his own role and destiny in things; the message that Our Lord gives us in this passage, is that these differences are all part of His plan and that’s the message that @Wolfsage has picked up. I guess I could explore this deeper but that’s all I got now, maybe I can try and explore this more later.

New Threads

Top Bottom