• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being an outsider?

BradT

Does anyone feel that they are an "outsider" to people since being diagnosed with aspergers? Why do I feel that noone likes me or is it in my head, because of the aspergers and not socializing?

No, I don't feel that way. Personally, I've been a lot happier since my diagnosis.
I've felt for a long time that I must be broken or defective because of my problem with social interactions. My diagnosis shows it isn't my fault.
I am just wired differently, it was a relief to get my formal diagnosis. :)

I haven't been diagnosed yet but truly feel this is me. I know it. Hopefully it will help but at the moment I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who is like me. Just can't communicate properly. Very awkward. It's ok with people I know but I always have to prepare myself.

I haven't been diagnosed yet but truly feel this is me. I know it. Hopefully it will help but at the moment I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who is like me. Just can't communicate properly. Very awkward. It's ok with people I know but I always have to prepare myself.
as a guy like myself do you ever feel that women are uncomfortable around you? I do even though I think I'm a nice looking guy, I don't know if it's in my head or not. Do you ever feel like when you go to the store or wherever, random women look at you awkward for no reason? I do sometimes.

Patrick you're on a forum with many people who have felt something similar at one point in their lives.
You're not the only person on Earth to feel like that, so you're not alone.

as a guy like myself do you ever feel that women are uncomfortable around you? I do even though I think I'm a nice looking guy, I don't know if it's in my head or not. Do you ever feel like when you go to the store or wherever, random women look at you awkward for no reason? I do sometimes.

Yes I do occasionally. My biggest issue is I struggle to know how to express myself when I interact. I think people think I'm weird. Sometimes I just avoid it and other times I over do it and smile and stuff when I probably shouldn't. Depends on mood. Sometimes I feel normal and comfortable meeting someone knew. I say hi a lot to random people

Do you ever go on about something and not realise the other person is bored? I know I do but trying to decipher if it's Aspergers with me or just normal anxiety or whatever. When I try and reflect on what I say and think about if the person is bored, I get very slow in thought and it jumbles up a bit. I can't think clearly about how the person feels. Is this normal do you know? Can you clearly think about others thoughts?

For me the nebulous feeling of being "an outsider" is just another autistic trait, not incumbent upon any formal diagnosis. One I began to experience in my adolescence and has never waned since.

I had trouble with feeling like an outsider for many years, and still do to an extent. The main thing which helped with anxiety concerning other people was being told that most people are extremely focused on their own worlds rather than on you and so will largely not feel either way about you until they've interacted with you (and once they have, they're more likely to subconsciously try to form a more positive impression, especially if you can master a polite smile). I didn't feel strongly that my diagnosis affected this feeling, but it's good to have some kind of 'concrete' reason for it, I suppose.

I find humor to be a panacea.

The only proviso is :

When you find people don't 'get it' - you have to find that funny!

Then you can laugh a lot!

I feel like this "disorder" has prevented me from forming long term friendships and finding love.

I felt like an outsider my whole school life. It seemed I was always alone, in my own little world, while others fit into groups perfectly. On internet forums, though, I don't feel so much like an outsider.

Does anyone feel that they are an "outsider" to people since being diagnosed with aspergers? Why do I feel that noone likes me or is it in my head, because of the aspergers and not socializing?

I've always felt like an outsider, even before my diagnosis. Being diagnosed only explained why I was an outsider. not cause it.

How can neurotypicals tell if someone has aspergers or not?
I don't think they always can - it depends on how much they know about the spectrum - but they may be able to sense that someone is a bit weird or socially awkward.

I don't think they always can - it depends on how much they know about the spectrum - but they may be able to sense that someone is a bit weird or socially awkward.
Yes, I noticed some people judged me in the past, because I didn't like talking a lot, oh my god that maes me such a bad person lol. *rolls eyes*

New Threads

Top Bottom