• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Been lurking for a while...

Tiredaspie

So I decided it's time to come out of the shadows!
I didn't want to participate because I was just self diagnosed. I didn't want to feel comfortable and get attached to the site, only to find out that I'm not actually an Aspie and this is yet another place I don't belong!
I know that you guys don't really care if I was officially diagnosed or not, but that was still how I felt. I've felt like a fraud my whole life until I stumbled upon Asperger's, and it was like my whole life started to make sense all of a sudden. That was last year after my son was diagnosed on the spectrum.
Ever since that epiphany, I've been seeking a professional diagnosis, just to be validated and to prove to my husband that this is not 'my latest obsession'!
It's been a long and tough road, but I finally have the diagnosis!!
So here I am!!:)
Thank you for ALL the posts that resonated with me and made me feel like I was never crazy or broken...
just different!

Welcome to Aspie Central, we search and search for that clue that lead us on this journey. Glad you found a place. It's quite common for people to discover they are on the spectrum when their children are diagnosed.

b8c518335a748c7902d8633036f9186e.png

There you are!!:)
Most welcome here.

We all get road
weary,
aspie.

Grab a cozy,
take your shoes off,
get comfortable.

It was a long trip
and you solo drove
every mile
because you trusted
yourself
and knew
what you know.

Your diagnosis
was confirmed.
You kept driving
despite detours
and construction.

And got here.

I like it here too,
so far so good,
many roadways
still under hardhat,
but lanes
more passable.

I'm so happy for you as I know how it feels for your life to suddenly make sense. It's like a huge breath of fresh air! Welcome home. You will settle here nicely. Put your feet up and relax.

Welcome! That's great you finally have a diagnosis. I'm self-diagnosed-ish and I definitely relate to how you felt pre-diagnosis. There's just something about being 100% sure of something, I guess!

So I decided it's time to come out of the shadows!
I didn't want to participate because I was just self diagnosed. I didn't want to feel comfortable and get attached to the site, only to find out that I'm not actually an Aspie and this is yet another place I don't belong!
I know that you guys don't really care if I was officially diagnosed or not, but that was still how I felt. I've felt like a fraud my whole life until I stumbled upon Asperger's, and it was like my whole life started to make sense all of a sudden. That was last year after my son was diagnosed on the spectrum.
Ever since that epiphany, I've been seeking a professional diagnosis, just to be validated and to prove to my husband that this is not 'my latest obsession'!
It's been a long and tough road, but I finally have the diagnosis!!
So here I am!!:)
Thank you for ALL the posts that resonated with me and made me feel like I was never crazy or broken...
just different!
I'm self-diagnosed - and sometimes I wonder if it's really true, as I do seem to be on the milder/borderline side of things, but it is still a huge struggle that has defined my life. Also, I have heard some of the things I struggle with may simply occur due to a traumatic past....but, regardless of what it really is, I find I can relate to a lot of people's struggles here, it really helps being here whether I am truly an Aspie or whether I just relate a lot.

im like you but im gradually sort of thinking hfa forgot about the AUTISM checklist that i got a huge score for and the memories that accompany it
I'm self-diagnosed - and sometimes I wonder if it's really true, as I do seem to be on the milder/borderline side of things, but it is still a huge struggle that has defined my life. Also, I have heard some of the things I struggle with may simply occur due to a traumatic past....but, regardless of what it really is, I find I can relate to a lot of people's struggles here, it really helps being here whether I am truly an Aspie or whether I just relate a lot.

Welcome Tiredaspie, try to get some rest. :)

I could have written every word of your introduction, and so could dozens of others in this community. If you haven't already, you'll find yourself thinking that often around here.

It's kinda weird to go through life believing you're a fraud, then finding out you were right all along, and being immensely relieved and happy about it! Best wishes. -EP

Thank you, ALL! I knew I liked here!!
I truly understand what you're saying. I thought I was borderline, too until I started picking apart my life and analyzing it, first on my own, later with my therapist. It turned out that I rearranged my life so to speak to accommodate my Asperger's, no friends, no life basically outside my immediate family. I live thousands of miles away from any other family, so really no social demands whatsoever. I work part time basically for my husband and besides him there's only 4 more people I have to interact with but as much or as little as I want.... well, you see where I'm going with this!
I had to work full time for a few years besides taking care of my family, that really took its toll on me and I really believe that's what lead to my fibromyalgia! ! I have always tensed up my muscles when I was overwhelmed, and during these years I was overwhelmed ALL the time with no relief, ever. Not even while sleeping, I'd wake up feeling as if I was being beat up the whole timeI was sleeping. Long story short (too late, I know) I think my nervous system basically short circuited leading to fibromyalgia. That's my story and I'm sticking to it lol!!
My long winded point is don't question yourself too much if you identify with
Asperger's, you have probably been compensating your whole life.

Thank you, ALL! I knew I liked here!!

I truly understand what you're saying. I thought I was borderline, too until I started picking apart my life and analyzing it, first on my own, later with my therapist. It turned out that I rearranged my life so to speak to accommodate my Asperger's, no friends, no life basically outside my immediate family. I live thousands of miles away from any other family, so really no social demands whatsoever. I work part time basically for my husband and besides him there's only 4 more people I have to interact with but as much or as little as I want.... well, you see where I'm going with this!
I had to work full time for a few years besides taking care of my family, that really took its toll on me and I really believe that's what lead to my fibromyalgia! ! I have always tensed up my muscles when I was overwhelmed, and during these years I was overwhelmed ALL the time with no relief, ever. Not even while sleeping, I'd wake up feeling as if I was being beat up the whole timeI was sleeping. Long story short (too late, I know) I think my nervous system basically short circuited leading to fibromyalgia. That's my story and I'm sticking to it lol!!
My long winded point is don't question yourself too much if you identify with
Asperger's, you have probably been compensating your whole life.
Thanks for bringing me back deeper into reality - your story resonates with me. I do rearrange a lot of things, and I feel better when I can, and when I can't, I feel worse - your story about fibromyalgia is reminding me that I need to be very serious about finding ways to accommodate this. I am right now experiencing a lot of aspie burnout, and even symptoms of thyroid issues, lots of fatigue - one thing I am afraid of is developing chronic fatigue syndrome, so I need to be dead serious about taking better care of my Aspie self!

New Threads

Top Bottom