• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Been hovering in the back of my mind

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I saw a neuro therapist on two occasions and then got an appointment to see an expert in autism and saw him twice.

I did the online aspie quiz and then was shown shapes and had to tick which they were and then, emotions on faces and scenarios and had to choose which answer to give each scenario.

Was told that my score was typical for an aspie.

With the expert, he asked me about my childhood and wrote notes and asked my husband what was I like and said that it was clear to him that I have aspergers.

Then, on the final visit, he got me to do a sort of check list. What was I like as a child and so forth and had a choice answer and he based the decision of am I on the spectrum or not on that check list, so I ask myself, WHY DID I HAVE TO GO THROUGH 4 VISITS WITH TWO DIFFERENT EXPERTS, only to discount all of that?

Did anyone else have similar experience?

Oh and all I have is the slip of paper that he did the final score on. No official document.. I just find this weird for some who are supposed to be professionals.

Not complaining, because the verdict is that I am on the spectrum. From mild to severe ie my score was on the very edge of moderate to severe.

This was nearly 2 year's ago, but only now decided to put it out as a thread.

Medical places like to bill you for as many medical experts as they can or as many medical tests that they can. This pays the expensive salaries and overhead. Also it helps with federal gudelines of funding for certain types of things. But the documentation of testing sounds lame.

I saw a guy for three visits. My wife was present for all the meetings, at my invitation.

He asked about various aspects of my life and used the RAADS sheet.
I got a 3 page doc at the end of the process which outlined his process and conclusion.

Sometimes I think it's a crap shoot? Mine was really extensive and the report is long. BUt my first one was just short and based on the shrink's idea. This was a long time ago. THen another did some testing, but not a lot. Her report is kind of extensive. But I have had therapists who laughed it off without any testing. So it's still in infancy. But I am glad you got the dx if that it is what you were seeking! :)

I saw a neuro therapist on two occasions and then got an appointment to see an expert in autism and saw him twice.

I did the online aspie quiz and then was shown shapes and had to tick which they were and then, emotions on faces and scenarios and had to choose which answer to give each scenario.

With the expert, he asked me about my childhood and wrote notes and asked my husband what was I like and said that it was clear to him that I have aspergers.

Then, on the final visit, he got me to do a sort of check list. What was I like as a child and so forth and had a choice answer and he based the decision of am I on the spectrum or not on that check list, so I ask myself, WHY DID I HAVE TO GO THROUGH 4 VISITS WITH TWO DIFFERENT EXPERTS, only to discount all of that?

Oh and all I have is the slip of paper that he did the final score on. No official document.. I just find this weird for some who are supposed to be professionals.

Not complaining, because the verdict is that I am on the spectrum. From mild to severe ie my score was on the very edge of moderate to severe.

Had 3 talking to me in the same room at different intervals after an hour and a half I left with one sheet of A4 paper with one paragraph saying ASD1 actually autism spectrum disorder ,apparently women have to fight to be diagnosed shock horror what's new ,my mother lay in our local hospital for 14 days and was to told nothing waited another 6 weeks paid £120 and was told motor neurone disease, apparently she could have had it for months ,she had diagnosed herself correctly at the library but you have to please the bureaucrats, to the neurologist said she had 18 months to live, she lived 3 years,the rich get rich and the poor get poorer

Disturbing indeed. But then you might consider that you chose to seek such treatment in a nation and medical community which only recently reversed itself on a harsh position that seemed indicative of autism as a behavioral issue rather than a much more complex neurological issue.

I still recall some years back at the horror of discovering a nation like France choosing to be so scientifically and medically backwards in its approach to autism in general. And of course many of us here in this forum watched how you bravely struggled to gain recognition and acknowledgment of your own autism. A battle that you won. :cool:

Sadly in a country that has only recently begun to process autistic citizens like their more enlightened neighbors, I wouldn't expect the French medical community to function in lockstep, let alone with optimal efficiency. You're not only dealing with medical professionals who are likely behind in their formal education of neurology, but those who must grapple with the prejudices of the past rather than the enlightenment of the present. This is the price you may pay for some time until French medical professionals eventually catch up with their more enlightened neighbors.

For now autism isn't anything new to you, but for those who assess you it will be to them. :eek:

I paid for my diagnosis and had one visit, full report reasoning my Autism and a simple statement certificate on my request to show if i wish to employers, previous to that my GP, ignored my desire for a diagnosis!!!!!!!

Every third-rate failing dentist can fill a cavity well enough. But mental health professionals usually perform unsatisfactory work. To me they're not even worth talking to anymore, since they all flopped so miserably. Friends and family who are actually on my side for real- that's who I prefer to converse with instead now.

I was professionally diagnosed the right way, instead of how you'd think. I'm obviously an aspie. The wikipedia entry for Aspergers describes me perfectly. But all of the doctors and therapists missed it. Worse, I'd been misdiagnosed with something else entirely. I'd put high functioning autism on the table for them, and they'd say 'maybe' at best.

But I've been playing my weekly card game with friends for years. An elite pediatrician boss was a regular at the table, who'd spent about a thousand hours in my presence. So I asked this doctor/friend if he saw autism in me. He responded so conclusively in the affirmative, as if I'd just asked him whether or not the earth was round. And that's the moment I finally had a proper diagnosis at last. The failed mental healthcare cost me a fortune, while the useful part was free.

Last edited:
I was professionally diagnosed the right way, instead of how you'd think. I'm obviously an aspie. The wikipedia entry for Aspergers describes me perfectly. But all of the doctors and therapists missed it. Worse, I'd been misdiagnosed with something else entirely. I'd put high functioning autism on the table for them, and they'd say 'maybe' at best.

But I've been playing my weekly card game with friends for years. An elite pediatrician boss was a regular at the table, who'd spent about a thousand hours in my presence. So I asked this doctor/friend if he saw autism in me. He responded so conclusively in the affirmative, as if I'd just asked him whether or not the earth was round. And that's the moment I finally had a proper diagnosis at last. The failed mental healthcare cost me a fortune, while the useful part was free.

This brought up several points in my gray station. The first being, as females we don't have access and availabilty to weekly card games with medical authorities usually, so we fly under the radar. And the second thought of our ability to step outside the norms and gather our own info to come to conclusions that usually are correct. I come across this theme alot, along with just our sheer determination to find an answer.

The first being, as females we don't have access and availabilty to weekly card games with medical authorities usually, so we fly under the radar.

Of course you have it difficult too. This world wasn't built for us. I only make it sound like my accomplishments came easy, since this is one of the 48 Laws of Power. A man must project strength and easy success, an autistic man even more so. It wasn't at all like 'Hey, I just got together with my friends for a weekly card game, easy, no big deal'. Rather, I just left out all my struggles and hardships from this story.

Of course you have it difficult too. This world wasn't built for us. I only make it sound like my accomplishments came easy, since this is one of the 48 Laws of Power. A man must project strength and easy success, an autistic man even more so. It wasn't at all like 'Hey, I just got together with my friends for a weekly card game, easy, no big deal'. Rather, I just left out all my struggles and hardships from this story.

Sometimes hearing those struggles helps unite us and bring us together as a cohesive whole planet object de force. Then we see that we all walk the same treacherous path.☺

Sometimes hearing those struggles helps unite us and bring us together as a cohesive whole planet object de force. Then we see that we all walk the same treacherous path.☺

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

I'm so fond of that lamb, I became him. The autistic are prey animals by nature. I tried being a sweet little lamb in a world packed with hyenas and jackals, and it didn't work. So now? 48 Laws all day, except when I slip up. Never evil, but not weak either. My proper path, this is.

Last edited:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

I'm so fond of that lamb, I became him. The autistic are prey animals by nature. I tried being a sweet little lamb in a world packed with hyenas and jackals, and it didn't work. So now? 48 Laws all day, except when I slip up. Never evil, but not weak either. My proper path, this is.

l guess l am learning this lesson this late in life. I think it's my nature to think good of people. Then at some point l turn myself around and become a brick wall. It's a life skill l am working on. A giant sundae in progress.

l guess l am learning this lesson this late in life. I think it's my nature to think good of people. Then at some point l turn myself around and become a brick wall. It's a life skill l am working on. A giant sundae in progress.

You're American too? In our country the vast majority of people are more or less alright. But you still can't behave openly weak with them. Ever. They won't necessarily take extreme advantage, but they will gladly alpha you. They will mis-define you and make your decisions for you, unless you become a well armed lamb.

Remember the words be as innocent as a Dove and as sly as a serpent .

I haven't experienced this, since I was diagnosed when I was 8 years old, but Autistic adults seem to have incredible difficulty to get diagnosed in adulthood. I think this is because Auti$m $peak$ basically portrays most Autistic people as children in their ads and stuff, and Auti$m $peak$ is the most well known evil corpora - I mean "non-profit organization" that talks about Autism.

I think my experience was somewhat similar. I was seen and tested once a month for three months. Questions, diagrams, pictures, tests including making patterns. It was boring except for one test in which I was very surprised by my inability to do something.

I think my experience was somewhat similar. I was seen and tested once a month for three months. Questions, diagrams, pictures, tests including making patterns. It was boring except for one test in which I was very surprised by my inability to do something.

I failed with number testing and did not suffer boredom, because I was too frightened of getting it wrong and be told that I am fake.

I did quite well, with where to place a missing piece with a pattern.

I failed with number testing and did not suffer boredom, because I was too frightened of getting it wrong and be told that I am fake.

I did quite well, with where to place a missing piece with a pattern.

I am sorry it was so stressful for you. I felt very uncomfortable when I was tested. The tester was not warm. I guess that is best for scientific work but since she did nothing to soothe me, I had no help getting through the process.

On a pattern test I was amazed that I could not do it. I do not want to give too much away for someone who might take the test but when I was asked to continue the pattern I saw, my hand simply would not do it. It was my hand but it felt like it was not working, not attached to my brain. I just could not make the adjustment when the pattern changed and I needed to make the next connection. It was fascinating and disappointing. I still do not know what it means.

New Threads

Top Bottom