• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

BBC to make a Five Season television adaption of the "His Dark Materials" Trilogy...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

PHILIP PULLMAN’s His Dark Materials is to be turned into an epic new BBC series. Here is everything you need to know about the show’s release date, cast and more.

golden-compass-film-cast-767625.jpg

The first part of 'His Dark Materials' (Northern Lights) was adapted into 'The Golden Compass' in 2007

What is His Dark Materials about?

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

The new series is an adaptation of Pullman’s cult fantasy trilogy which consists of three books: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.

The books follows Lyra Belacqua, an orphan who lives in a world similar to ours “in which science, theology and magic are entwined”.

In Lyra’s world, every person has a companion called a daemon which is magically linked to them by a substance called Dust.

While searching for a kidnapped friend, Lyra uncovers a sinister plot involving stolen children and the Magisterium – a powerful and sinister version of the Catholic Church.

On her journey, she encounters giant armoured bears and a clan of beautiful witches.

The BBC explains: “Lyra's search turns into a quest to understand a mysterious phenomenon called Dust.

"In The Subtle Knife she is joined on her journey by Will, a boy who possesses a knife that can cut windows between worlds.

“As Lyra learns the truth about her parents and her prophesied destiny, the two young people are caught up in a war against celestial powers that ranges across many worlds and leads to a thrilling conclusion in The Amber Spyglass."

Pullman has announced a new trilogy called The Book of Dust which will act as a companion to his original series.

When does His Dark Materials start?
The BBC has not yet announced a start date for the series, but Pullman has confirmed that production has “started well and is moving smoothly”.

He explained on Twitter: “It's a very big project and needs a great deal of planning.”

Producer Jane Tranter has previously said that she wanted pre-production to begin in autumn 2016, which could indicate a late 2017 launch.

How many episodes and seasons will there be?
Season one will have eight episodes. Reports suggest that the BBC has signed a deal with New Line Cinema to shoot 40 episodes across five seasons to tell the full story.

His Dark Materials cast
There have not yet been any casting announcements, but Dakota Blue Richards has been linked with a part.

The actress played Lyra in The Golden Compass – the 2007 film adaptation of Northern Lights – and has said that she would like to take on a different role in the new series.

She revealed: “There's been talk, but it's out of my hands, really. I'd love it, but I'm not holding out for it. If it does happen great and if it doesn't happen, I've got my own stuff going on.”

Pullman has offered his support, and has said that it “would be nice” to work with Richards again.

Jack Thorne will adapt the books for the screen, fresh from his collaboration with JK Rowling on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Ahead of the series, Thorne said: “The His Dark Materials trilogy are vast and glorious books full of beautiful characters and I’m going to work as hard as I can to try and do justice to them.”

Pullman offered praise for the writer, saying: ”I’ve greatly enjoyed talking to him and learning about his plans for bringing His Dark Materials to the screen. I'm certain he'll do a superb job, and I look forward to seeing the whole project develop as he shapes the story.”

Former Doctor Who producer Julie Gardner will develop the drama with Jane Fonter.

Toby Emmerich and Carolyn Blackwood of New Line Cinema, Bethan Jones for BBC One, and Deborah Forte for Scholastic will act as executive producers on the show.

Has His Dark Materials been adapted before?
Northern Lights was adapted into a film called The Golden Compass in 2007, which starred Dakota Blue Johnson, Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman.

The film was criticised by fans of the books for watering down religious elements which are integral to the book.

Despite this, religious groups took offence to the film and the book’s portrayal of the Catholic Church.

Although the film had respectable box office takings, two planned sequels were cancelled.

Sam Elliott, who played Lee Scoresby, blamed the Catholic Church for the trilogy’s failure.

He said: “The Catholic Church happened to The Golden Compass, as far as I'm concerned.

“It did incredible at the box office, taking $380million. Incredible. It took $85million in the States. The Catholic Church... lambasted them, and I think it scared New Line off.”

The trilogy has also been adapted into a BBC Radio 4 drama in 2003 with Terence Stamp as Lord Asriel and Lulu Popplewell as Lyra.

In the same year, The Royal National Theatre adapted the trilogy into a two-part, six-hour play starring Anna Maxwell-Martin as Lyra, Dominic Cooper as Will, Timothy Dalton as Lord Asriel and Patricia Hodge as Mrs Coulter.

Source: His Dark Materials: BBC Phillip Pullman series – start date, cast and more

I remember the Golden Compass and was a bit frustrated that it didn't go anywhere after the first film. I might like this.

New Threads

Top Bottom