• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Baffled 40 Year Old

TryingtoLearn

Hi Everyone.

I had always felt something was up with me and read a little about Asperger's Syndrome but never really bothered.

I then had a stroke in 2015, wasn't the worst but has some issues and a nurse had asked if I suffered so I asked to be diagnosed.

Was diagnosed in 2016 but it was almost pointless - they asked for developmental information from my mother who is blind to any of my faults. I was told I should be assessed for ADHD.

Here in 2021, finally had the second part of the ADHD assessment. They called and said they are not sure. Only recently realising I'm much worse affected than I ever realised.

But even after requesting help from them in 2015, they still cant tell me if I will be seen in weeks months or years.

Welcome to the Forums @TryingtoLearn

This is a great place to learn about autism, etc etc.
Do have a read of some of the older threads - lots of good info in the archives.
If you have the time, try going down a few rabbit holes

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately going down rabbit holes is what I'm a bit worried about.

In last few years, sometimes I've started reading up on forums a little bit and gone deep down rabbit holes, but then I've thought without any professional opinions on how I am affected, it is very easy for me to start self diagnosing saying I can't do X or can't do Y and just use these as excuses to be a lazy person.

So I just gave up on thinking about ASD. Only after using a regular non ASD psych for a few months did I finally start to accept ASD and I want to understand seriously now, but I'm a little stuck.

Being stuck is an uncomfortable sensation. At least you are aware of it; some part of your brain is at work, asking for help to move “you” forward.
There’s a good practice which I find helpful, which is daily meditation for between 5 & 20 minutes. Clarity is the antidote to stuck-ness, for me. It is a gentle & subtle shifting, hard to describe.
There are books I could recommend if you’re interested.

6aa34fa5f4748e6aedd5e707de5f55e2.png

Welcome to the forums!
This is a great place to seek knowledge and support of friendly people. :)

The title of your opening post reminded me of a line in a song by Leonard Cohen: "the baffled king composing Hallelujah." It's an amazing song. You can find it on YouTube (title is Hallelujah).

I hope you get lots of help here. Welcome!

Welcome, sit down and relax a bit. Sometimes we try to hard and then we are just lost in our frustration. This is our rabbit hole dilemma. Perhaps accepting the good and the great and living with those other parts of me without judgment has helped me. Anyways, look forward to hearing from you. There is great support here.

Decide everything for yourself! You know yourself better. If you're willing to be deeply educated on the subjects, then forget the doctors and decide yourself.

Hi and welcome, I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive. There's some information and resources here, and you can make threads to ask for others ideas too. I see you have started to do that, that's great!

:blossom::bug::cherryblossom::bee::herb::beetle::sunflower:

Hello there says Vernal in Obi Wan Kenobi.

This is a pretty cool place. I hope you enjoy your stay on the forums! Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions!

New Threads

Top Bottom