• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bad shape but can't get myself to work out

Cinco

So I just played outside with my dog and everything I did was some light running and throwing. After about 5 minutes I had to rest because I felt absolutely exhaused, hot and soaked in sweat.

I know I'm in bad shape, I know that I need to work on it but I can't bring myself to do it anymore. I know it's not harder than spending 30 minutes everyday just doing something active but I just don't do it, even if I have nothing else to do.

I've done it in the past, I've had several "periods" of working out and they all kinda just end after a couple of weeks despite the results I'm getting from it.
The longest period I had about about 2 months, I managed to put on maybe 2-3 kg and I got some visible muscles but I still wasn't very satisfied with all the work I had put into it

My arms and legs are quite thin and I'm just above the underweight limit. I used to have more defined muscles and even a visible six pack at one point but now I just have a flat stomac.
I eat as much and often as I can and I rarely actually get hungry

Anyone know a good way to keep in shape?
I don't have a gym or any friends just lots of nature

Get one of those 'tracker' things you wear on your wrist. It will beep at you if you sit still for too long and tracks all of your movement (and other things) in nice pretty graphs. I get really irritable if I don't get some exercise every day, but if I'm absorbed in work then I'll forget and end up 'binge' exercising which isn't good either. Even just walking around the house/office/shops will get your circulation going.

Also, if you can't hang around other active friends then maybe find a group or some sort of physical volunteer work so it doesn't seem like dedicated exercise. It also helps if your partner (if you have one) has a healthy lifestyle, as you tend to motivate one another then.

It sounds like motivation may be a bigger problem than not knowing good ways to keep in shape, but they do influence each other.

You mention tiring quickly, you also mention being thin. There are markedly different ways of being in good shape. I wonder if you equate being thin with being out of shape? I do, but then I have an unusual condition which means that I need more strength and bulk to counteract and protect the soft tissues around my joints. There are some very thin people out there who are excellent athletes, long-distance runners and cyclists come to mind.

What do you mean when you say to yourself that you wish you were in better shape? Why do you want to be in better shape - to more easily accomplish what you already do, to do other things (what things?), to be more attractive or confident...? Do you mean to say that you eat more than a sufficient amount, or that you are unable to obtain more food than you already consume? Might you profitably eat the same amount but different foods, or a different balance of foods?

Do you have physical restrictions (other than being in poor shape) which limit how you can exercise or what you can eat? Are you able to purchase and store exercise equipment, a bicycle or two maybe, various other things that might be part of a more active lifestyle?

If you've not answered these questions for yourself you may find that you're more motivated after you have. Any problem is more overwhelming when it is only vaguely defined, as any plan of action must also be vaguely defined and therefore difficult to approach with confidence in your technique and tactics. These answers would also allow others to make advice more specific and applicable.

I can’t get motivated to exercise, never have for longer than two days. What works better for me is to have my physical movements accomplish something. Your example of playing with your dog is an excellent one. Cleaning house, washing the car, or even shopping are good ways to get exercise.
Sometimes I do some leg lifts while watching t.v. or crunches.
There are some high protein weight gain supplements that might be tasty too.
An idea...if you have an iPad with a calendar, put in some pop up reminders throughout the day for some dog playing time and some other fun things to do. And snacks!

I think you just have to try different activities until you find one that you actually enjoy enough to keep doing it, so it's not just a chore/means to an end (like enjoy the process, enjoy doing the activity just for the sake of doing the activity).

If you 'can't bring myself to do it anymore' why are you asking for suggestions? Why should we invest ourselves in someone who already gave up and won't do anything ?

Same with me. I got weight on now that I'd like to lose and I could lose by walking but I can't get into it. Who knows? Maybe the fall I'll get back into walking. Hope so for you as well.

Two suggestions:
1) Don't start with too much at a time. If it's too painful, it will be very hard to maintain. If you're doing nothing at all right now, maybe start with a walk.

2) Make it a habit, and part of your schedule. Set a schedule, something like "On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays I exercise at noon". This schedule must be maintained no matter what. No making excuses for bad weather or anything like that. I'm currently at a point where it is part of my schedule. It's often still hard to make myself do it, but it's enough of a routine that I feel really guilty if I skip it, which does tend to be enough to make the exercise happen.

Good luck! I hope you can make it work!

I would also add that you should try to train yourself to enjoy the process rather than just the results. Staying slim and toned is more of an added bonus for me. I like being able to zone out and think while I'm hiking/kickboxing/running/whatever. Or I'll listen to music and use the time to think through the day or any events I have coming up. And I like knowing that I'm getting my circulation going and sweating out all the rubbish from my body.

Edit: Just got back from running/weights and realised that I also like watching myself in the mirror because I'm a vain tart! :D Might work for you. Might not!

Last edited:
Go walking early in the morning before it gets too hot, and eat a good breakfast. Once you start feeling better and stronger, you may want to find some other kind of exercise. I try to walk a couple of miles every morning as soon as the sun comes up. It's 5:20 a.m. here and I'll head out for my walk in another 40 minutes or so. It doesn't take much time because I walk very fast to raise my heart rate.

I have a hard time with motivation. My daughter got me a Fitbit and it really helps. I’ve been raising my step goals each week.

Diet deficiencies can make it tough to get moving too.

I have an exercise bike at home and find that using it while watching a show really works for me. Also, a fitness-conscious lifestyle helps - using the stairs and not taking the lift, walking or cycling to the shops or supermarket rather than taking the car. Having a dog is great, because that gives you plenty of motivation to walk or run around.

Listen to this lady explain why moving is good. She has an ology, so knows her stuff! My mum sent me this earlier, as she's got into exercise recently after 40+ years.

Edit: And if that doesn't motivate you, my dad was told this morning that he has bowel cancer and needs emergency surgery tomorrow to remove a tumour. He's been inactive most of his life and despite not being that overweight his sh*t diet and lack of exercise has screwed up his insides. So please get your ass down the gym or out running while you still have the opportunity to improve your health!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom