• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistown - a thought experiment

AHuman

I was wondering...

We all talk about how the NT world doesn't suit us, but I've never seen any concrete suggestions on how to adapt the world to include us.

So, I thought, what if we had free reign to redesign the world around our needs? What if there was a town designed from the ground up to accommodate us, to allow us to live our lives without over stimulation and constant low-level challenges? What would that town look like?

The parameters here are: choose a place the town would need and describe how to optimise it so an autistic visitor would feel comfortable.

An example. I have to go to the chemist frequently. I hate going to the chemist because it's disorganised, there's not enough seats, to get served you have to attract the attention of a rep, then wait until your name is called and confirm your address in front of others before receiving your prescription. The walls are stacked with distracting stuff and you always have to wait with a crowd.

If I was designing a chemist, I would put all of the stuff in another room and have the space where you get served replaced by a couple of touch screens where you can select pictures of what you need. There would be a prescription section, an over the counter items section and a request to speak to a pharmacist section. There would also be a section for if you've ordered some time ago and are back to collect.

You'd have a basket on screen for all of these, an example basket might be: fill script (options to pay or exempt from payment, how many items you need), two tubes of cough sweets, some ibuprofen and a slot with the pharmacist (For a consultation maybe). You go to checkout and it requests payment for goods/prescription items, then asks you to insert your completed prescription form in a slot, where it can be placed in a basket behind the slot for pharmacist attention, then displays a wait time so you know how long it will be before you get attention. From here you can choose to wait that time, or choose to come back to collect later, giving you the option to choose a time so youre not waiting when you come back. It then dispenses a receipt to tell how much it was, what time you'll be seen and which room to go to when everything is ready. It also gives you a number so you can be called anonymously.

You then wait in the main section, where there are seats arranged so that there is space between them, neutral, warm decor and no music. The waiting space is a designated quiet space.

At the side are a number of small rooms, for consultations and collections. An LCD board above the room will display your number when it's your turn to go in. Inside, you'll be met by a pharmacist who will check your details and make sure you know how to use your medicine and be able to deal with any questions.

This would take up roughly the same amount of space as a traditional chemist but be more suitable for me personally at least.

Please let me know what you think, and suggest your own Autistown services :)

Ani idea where the thread is so I can get it merged?

Theirs was more of a small country/island rather than a town, but I guess it'd be the same principle... also using the search function just now to try and find the post in question, I see that it's a somewhat common idea, and having said that I can't seem to find it :eek:

Last edited:
There's was more of a small country/island rather than a town, but I guess it'd be the same principle... also using the search function just now to try and find the post in question, I see that it's a somewhat common idea, and having said that I can't seem to find it :eek:

Another way I find I'm not as unique as I thought for all these years... heh.

I've always found my way to fit in to different places. It usually takes me a while to fit in though.

Theirs was more of a small country/island rather than a town, but I guess it'd be the same principle... also using the search function just now to try and find the post in question, I see that it's a somewhat common idea, and having said that I can't seem to find it :eek:
Is THIS the thread?

That's not the same at all! :)

Hopefully the smile makes the direct contradiction less harsh. :D

The most similar thread that I've read was the one about creating an ideal school for people with Autism. Unfortunately, the term, "thought experiment," wasn't used and people got confused.

I've always thought about making a community for people who are autistic, perhaps a farm or something we all can work on together. We talk about it sometimes in the chat room. I'm sure a lot of people would be down for it.

For me, the ideal pharmacy would be an online one so I could order my medication from the comfort of my home and wouldn't have to leave the house at all!

To be honest, I don't even know. I'm overhelmed by so many things but changing these things to overhelm me less would be, well, changing things and that just makes me anxious! I suppose, though, that the most helpful with would be a change in people's attitudes - the rest is just details that can be easily done after being accepted by the community (and financial department).

Although, if I had to choose... Online shops with collection or delivery for me. But then, it smells of avoidance and isolation and these things aren't exactly healthy.

Top Bottom