• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic traits when child, now I think I have a big mask

dbalzate

Hello y'all! I was diagnosed with autistic traits when I was a child, but I didn't bother at the time and I thought that I was a typical child, but now I think I wasn't. I had special interests, as a child, in astronomy, science and gardening. When I was a teenager my interests shifted to electronics and programming. Now I'm a programmer and I think, from the articles I read about autism, that I have a BIG mask because no one feels I'm autistic. I have deficits in executive functioning, depression and OCD.

Well, thanks for this community. Sorry for my English, I'm actually very bad at writing and speaking English. Thank you!

upload_2020-2-21_8-24-46.png

Now I'm a programmer and I think, from the articles I read about autism, that I have a BIG mask because no one feels I'm autistic.

Maybe. Maybe not. One thing to consider with such a perspective, is that your ability to mask your traits and behaviors may not necessarily be the most driving force from keeping those in your social orbit from acknowledging your autism. That it may be something far more basic.

That the vast majority of neurotypicals around you simply don't have a clue about what autistic traits and behaviors are to begin with. Or that their only frame of reference involves more pronounced traits and behaviors of autism that you don't necessarily have. Made worse on occasion by select media stereotypes.

Welcome to Autism Forums.

Welcome to the Forums.

Wearing a mask is not limited to those on the spectrum, there are lot so people out there who wear masks most of the time. So much so that they have forgotten the person behind the mask; who that person is. This is really sad, for the person behind the mask is usually a really interesting person, but is just afraid to show who they really are and wearing the mask is less risky.

Hang around here on the fora for a while and join in the discussions. There are lots of useful threads.

Thanks everyone for giving me such a warm welcome! I'm currently reading threads randomly in order to learn more about autism and maybe learn to know me more (introspection).

Hi and welcome. Your English looks fine, way better than I can speak any other language! I guess from what you say, your depression could be partly due to masking, aswell as the stress of having a brain difference. It can be hard to be in a minority, and our difference is not well understood. I hope you enjoy it here and find useful information and support.

:spoutingwhale::dolphin::whale::fish::spiralshell::dolphin::spoutingwhale:

New Threads

Top Bottom