• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistamatic Report - What's in a Label? (video)

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
Hi Autistipeeps

A new Autistamatic Report video has just gone live, for anyone who is interested.

This one reports on the controversy over the use of functioning labels by and about people within the autistic community, looking at both sides of the argument.

Following feedback from here and elsewhere, this and all future videos are fully CC subtitled for those who wish to use them. I'm in the process of doing the same for my previous releases, but it takes several hours to do each one, so it's an ongoing project.

This is the first video of yours that I've watched and I just wanted to say that I'm really impressed with the production value and content! This video definitely raised some points I hadn't thought of before so it'll be interesting to reflect on further.

This is the first video of yours that I've watched and I just wanted to say that I'm really impressed with the production value and content! This video definitely raised some points I hadn't thought of before so it'll be interesting to reflect on further.

That's good to hear.

The video was eye-opening.
I'm used to saying that I am diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, since that's what I was diagnosed 20+ years ago (that's feels long time ago), but I've been considering just calling myself autistic.
I should propably mention this to my family next time I see them (whenever that is...)

As always, another interesting and well-balanced presentation. I am easily confused by the variety of terms being used around the world. I have to learn them and I am still unsure of what each level, grade, or category means in a practical sense. Labels don't mean anything unless you have the medical knowledge to support or explain the categories in the first place.

I think we are dealing with 2 different sets of vocabulary - one medical, and the other being social. The more precise the label, the better it is for the medical community to use that label in a more commonly understandable, productive way. Most medical conditions have rating systems to monitor treatment and progress in healing a person suffering from an illness or condition. Since the consciousness of autism is fairly recent in our human development, it's no surprise that the terms could use some tweaking as more is discovered and thoughtfully understood. This process is certainly not over, but we at least have a term that gives the condition an identity.

Your mention of those autistic people who ended up in asylums is a good example of how easy it is to dismiss a person's needs because those needs are misunderstood. Being able to address the person's needs is far more important than the name you give it. I learned about the term "Aspergers" years ago, but I had no clear understanding of what that meant in terms of a person's abilities, struggles, attitudes, or personality traits. I also learned about "autism" as a condition requiring some delicate handling of those who suffered from it. I never connected the two. The terms had no meaning without a clear understanding of what they were in strict medical terms. The variables within those terms also require a lot of medical knowledge. We are not identical in our afflictions and strengths, so we would all have to have personalized labels if we are searching for true accuracy in the terminology used to categorize us as individuals. For now, we have "autism", but if you want to use "Aspergers", that's fine too, provided Aspergers is accurate. The term "autism spectrum" is very useful because it communicates a set of varying degrees within the larger collection of traits and conditions. That needs to be understood by everyone.

Let the medical world manage these issues the way they see fit. If anyone on the spectrum has to explain themselves to anyone, they can do so by explaining the way autism affects them and on a level they wish to divulge or educate those who are interested in knowing and understanding. It becomes very personal.

I believe that with time, the term "autism" won't scare or confuse people like it can do now. The topic is new to the general population. As long as schools and the media deal with it openly and plainly, the term will become as commonplace as diabetes, arthritis, and ADD/ADHD. A rose by any other name... is still a rose.

Wow! I just watched it for reals now, and I fully understand the issue for the first time! That was epic.

But you don't say the thing about having an "Autistimatic day" at the end of every video!? :eek:

I couldn't help but giggle a little because your title for the video totally reminded me of a video for a "Report Of The Week" review of Taco Bells' Triple Double CrunchWrap from 2017... where he asks "What's in a name?" regarding the name of the sandwich.

For reference:

In all seriousness, you always do a great job on your videos, as always! :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the subtitles.

I can hear it better if I'm reading subtitles at the same time,
if that makes any sense?

Ok. I listened to this yesterday and had a hard time grasping what you were trying to say. I listened to it this morning. I didn't see the CC until I found it on the video and watched it once more using the CC. I guess because my hearing difficulties it makes it hard and put that with trying to follow and understand significance, it was falling into one of those things I just wasn't going to be able to grasp. BUT when I used the CC it made a huge difference and I now GET what you are saying. So thanks for adding that. And as you go back and do other video's I'll probably re-watch them to see what I missed. :) With the hearing thing I have missed entire conversations that I never was able to make out a single word that was said and then trying to just understand the words interferes with understanding the meaning of the whole.

I agree with @Peter Morrison - the medical profession does need it's categories - for insurance reasons, if nothing else. So I guess, in a way, it's the insurance companies that are needing the categories, which I'm learning more about every time I go to a doctor and medicare don't pay anything. Umph!!!

But now I look at the Autism spectrum differently, thanks to this video. It's not a scale of severity, it's a collection of traits that each individual is better at some and worse at others and in no particular order. I was thinking about your statement on Aspergers being no delayed speech but higher than 70 IQ. IQ-wise I would have been considered aspergers but delayed speech development considered autism. So it would not make sense in my diagnosis to separate the two. Very interesting points you've made. Thanks again.

A thoughtful analysis of how we are perceived in terms of words and labels. And all the dilemmas that follow so many of them.

Prompting me to ponder that need to unite under a single term that we all can relate to, communicating who and what we are, rather than continuing to depend upon a plethora of both medical and social terms.

That the present circumstances are anything but optimal for us to communicate such things to those who need to understand us the most. Words and labels do indeed matter.

Last edited:
I think people look at us with just the Autism label in mind. Shame too because when we are given the chance we are capable of so much.

New Threads

Top Bottom