• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

autism vs psychopathy overlap/comparison

Now your conflating psychopathy with aspd. You can be neurotypical and be diagnosed with aspd. Psychopathy is a brain wiring difference just like autism is. The equivalence would be if you have autism you have learning disabilities. Which is incorrect.

I don’t agree with creating unicorn specificity of different personality disorders because it muddies the water with increased level of ignorance which is disingenuous to the authenticity of the persons individualism. Either you have psychopathy or secondary trait pyschopathy (aka the archaic term sociopathy) or you have aspd. All in which are separate. There is a capacity to have autism/aspd below:

I noted with crossbreed on forum before, there is an importance to being well spoken and presentable. I suppose people are specific about diagnosis whilst I run in loose thread of overlapping. Sometimes a person just endured too much and snaps, it can be physical appearance or not. I try not judge as get good/bad in all races.
At work I used to use more jargon and have to present myself but outside and over years I've lost interest in being pretentious.

Depending on how angry someone is and their position of power is how far they may drop your sorry ass in fire, some people are chemical boffins and are capable of inflicting more damage.
Often it's also just work if you fix car handles it's just easier to know how to break into a car, I don't think I would do that even with know how.
Many inventions are more accurately termed discoveries, many discoveries are based on evolution of animals.
Depends where you are in life and how much you need to prove yourself?

Asperger replies to cannibal, wow gosh no one else really listens to me
(Limited interest to conversation)

I like many Asperger’s people a lot, especially the smart ones. I enjoy their bluntness and their lack of pretence, and their directness when speaking. They often have a dry self-deprecating sense of humour as well; in other words they are the antithesis of a narcissistic, posturing ‘normal’ male.

However, I find their gullibility in the interpersonal and social domain to be very frustrating; the clever ones seem to develop a pedantic self-satisfaction that precludes them from considering that they may be overly gullible and capable of being exploited. I’ve met several who have lost money and other assets to other people but still insist that their judgement of people is not impaired.

Having lived with an Aspie spouse for some years: if the Aspie becomes self-aware to the extent they know they can be an over-opinionated PITA, and therefore makes allowances that they may well not get away with that attitude with someone like me, and they become more flexible in thinking as a result, they are pretty soothing to live with. Especially if they have alexithymia because that means their lack of demonstrable emoting means you don’t have to pretend to be warm and empathic; which is also soothing.

They’re also very dependable, trustworthy, kind and accommodating, and often have useful side interests which make life comfortable for both partners.

Also their ability to focus in great detail on a topic is similar to that of a psychopath, except it’s more restricted in Aspies and more diverse in the psychopathic.

All in all Aspies can be very complimentary partners for fairly introverted psychopaths who aren’t too impulsive, and who are smart enough not to be boring to the Aspie [and vice versa].

But in the more mature segment of one’s life. :cool:

Pulling a few different comments from different people together here.

From @Mary Terry in another thread – asd and sociopathy are not mutually exclusive and can both exist in the one person
From @Atrapa Almas that there are no hard lines and that everything is a spectrum
From @Vindiesel that sociopathy does not mean inherently bad

My brother and I have different natures but in intellect and abilities and in the way we think we were like clones of the one person. We even looked identical even though there’s 3 years between us. As a young man my brother was completely amoral and he was a con man, for a few years until people started catching up with him. I copped a few hidings as well because we looked identical, telling them it wasn’t me it was my brother didn’t go down too well.

Many years later he was a single parent, and when his daughter was 8 he started her going to the local Scouts group, then he got mixed up with it and ended up being the scout leader. Howard Springs, Northern Territory.

Cliff approached our Chief Minister and conned him into donating a new Minibus (12 seats) to the scouts. Then he organised a trip for the the scouts, he said he wasn’t sure how far they’d get but if all the parents chipped in $100 each for fuel and food he’d see how far they could get. Take the kids to see the springs at Mataranka, etc.

They camped at Mataranka, he got all the kids to put their scout uniforms on and they got the camp grounds for free and later on some local ladies felt sorry for the nice man looking after 11 kids on his own and they came down and gave them all home cooked food. So all he’d spent so far was a bit of fuel, let’s keep going. Straight past Tenant Creek and on to Alice Springs.

When he got to Alice Springs he took all the kids to Pizza Hut for lunch and put on a sob story to the manager in the hope of getting a discount. A completely fictitious broken windscreen and a blown tyre. The manager felt sorry for the children, he gave them the meal for free and also gave them free passes to the local picture cinema.

While the kids were in the cinema watching a movie Cliff went to the pub, but Cliff doesn't drink. He buys a beer but one beer lasts all afternoon, what Cliff does is talk to people. He started talking to people and one of the people he spoke to was the president of the Land Yacht Sailing Club. They race 18 foot Skiffs but they have wheels on them, Alice Springs is 1600 kilometres from the nearest ocean. They also have a Surf Life Saving Club.

So they camped for free at the land yacht sailing club grounds and the kids got to spend 2 days learning how to sail and had a great time. Then the next stop was Adelaide, they all camped in an aunty's back yard and Cliff got them into almost every local tourist attraction for free.

Then he took the kids to Melbourne and they they all stayed at my sister’s place for a few days. They got to see a big city and he took them up to the alpine ski resorts where they saw snow and got free ski hire and free lessons.

They travelled up the east coast, staying with relatives we hadn't seen since we were children, and getting free passes in to every tourist attraction we have. They got free rides in glass bottomed boats over the Barrier Reef, they went to Water World, everything. Then from the Gold Coast through Mount Isa where they got a free tour of the mines and finally back home.

The whole trip lasted nearly 3 weeks and covered more than 12,000 Km. Cliff ended up throwing a little bit of his own money in to it as well but he said he didn’t spend much more than the original $1200 kitty he started with. When they returned to Darwin Cliff sold the Minibus and used the money to buy materials, he got local tradespeople to work for free and the scouts got a new scout hall.

Pulling a few different comments from different people together here.

From @Mary Terry in another thread – asd and sociopathy are not mutually exclusive and can both exist in the one person
From @Atrapa Almas that there are no hard lines and that everything is a spectrum
From @Vindiesel that sociopathy does not mean inherently bad

My brother and I have different natures but in intellect and abilities and in the way we think we were like clones of the one person. We even looked identical even though there’s 3 years between us. As a young man my brother was completely amoral and he was a con man, for a few years until people started catching up with him. I copped a few hidings as well because we looked identical, telling them it wasn’t me it was my brother didn’t go down too well.

Many years later he was a single parent, and when his daughter was 8 he started her going to the local Scouts group, then he got mixed up with it and ended up being the scout leader. Howard Springs, Northern Territory.

Cliff approached our Chief Minister and conned him into donating a new Minibus (12 seats) to the scouts. Then he organised a trip for the the scouts, he said he wasn’t sure how far they’d get but if all the parents chipped in $100 each for fuel and food he’d see how far they could get. Take the kids to see the springs at Mataranka, etc.

They camped at Mataranka, he got all the kids to put their scout uniforms on and they got the camp grounds for free and later on some local ladies felt sorry for the nice man looking after 11 kids on his own and they came down and gave them all home cooked food. So all he’d spent so far was a bit of fuel, let’s keep going. Straight past Tenant Creek and on to Alice Springs.

When he got to Alice Springs he took all the kids to Pizza Hut for lunch and put on a sob story to the manager in the hope of getting a discount. A completely fictitious broken windscreen and a blown tyre. The manager felt sorry for the children, he gave them the meal for free and also gave them free passes to the local picture cinema.

While the kids were in the cinema watching a movie Cliff went to the pub, but Cliff doesn't drink. He buys a beer but one beer lasts all afternoon, what Cliff does is talk to people. He started talking to people and one of the people he spoke to was the president of the Land Yacht Sailing Club. They race 18 foot Skiffs but they have wheels on them, Alice Springs is 1600 kilometres from the nearest ocean. They also have a Surf Life Saving Club.

So they camped for free at the land yacht sailing club grounds and the kids got to spend 2 days learning how to sail and had a great time. Then the next stop was Adelaide, they all camped in an aunty's back yard and Cliff got them into almost every local tourist attraction for free.

Then he took the kids to Melbourne and they they all stayed at my sister’s place for a few days. They got to see a big city and he took them up to the alpine ski resorts where they saw snow and got free ski hire and free lessons.

They travelled up the east coast, staying with relatives we hadn't seen since we were children, and getting free passes in to every tourist attraction we have. They got free rides in glass bottomed boats over the Barrier Reef, they went to Water World, everything. Then from the Gold Coast through Mount Isa where they got a free tour of the mines and finally back home.

The whole trip lasted nearly 3 weeks and covered more than 12,000 Km. Cliff ended up throwing a little bit of his own money in to it as well but he said he didn’t spend much more than the original $1200 kitty he started with. When they returned to Darwin Cliff sold the Minibus and used the money to buy materials, he got local tradespeople to work for free and the scouts got a new scout hall.

Aha! The gift of gab and charm is strong in your family. I loved this story.

New Threads

Top Bottom