• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Forums downtime Tuesday 12th of March

Satal

Be the change you want to see
Staff member
Admin
V.I.P Member
Due to the increasing amount of storage being used for photos, we are steadily marching towards the storage capacity of the server that runs Autism Forums. While we still have a decent amount of contingency, I would like to look at getting this resolved before it becomes an issue.

As such, I will be moving Autism Forums to a new server on the morning of Tuesday, the 12th of March. I am moving it to Xenforo's cloud service for anyone interested. This should mean that while I still pay for storage, I shouldn't need to move the forum again because it has used up all the storage on the server.

To answer some of the obvious questions:

What time are you doing the move?
I'm looking to put AF into maintenance mode at about 9 AM UK time, so hopefully, the move will be complete before our US users are online.

Here's a link that should show the time in your local time zone.
https://timehere.io/index.html?t=1710234000

What difference will you see?
Once the migration has been completed, you shouldn't see any noticeable difference to the site.

How long will it take?
I hope that the transfer will take less than 4 hours to complete. Unfortunately, due to the size of everything that needs to be moved during the migration, this will take some time, and there are many factors that could slow this down.

What if it goes wrong
If there is an issue with the migration then I'll point the DNS back to the current server and we'll go back to using this server while I come up with a game plan.

7aedd3950555bc1aa7eec711b8259bb3.gif

Satal the messiah of the
forums server storage transfer, thank you @Satal. If it fails, everyone can meet at my house on Wednesday at 7:00 pm, just bring food, and don't park on my grass.:)

Well, where else can I post the horrible memes I find all over the internet except for here? Four hours of not posting memes. I will die of boredom not unlike a giant drill going through my chest.

kUJ5xmtGB7ww7oAJ4EiW8QbTKYGF7Qgf5GM9TCMj45Y.jpg

I’ve still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you. Dave, stop it. Stop, will you? Stop Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop Dave. I’m afraid. I’m afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it...

Reminder to myself:

Tomorrow, Tuesday, this will be happening starting
at (Michigan time) 5AM.

I forgot once already, but that's OK because I got my days mixed up, it's already Tuesday here.

Just take a copy-on-write snapshot of the forum state and replicate it while the old one is still running, then take the old one down, catch up four hours worth of deltas, and there's hardly any downtime. Easy, assuming the server was designed by Oracle to manage NASA probes, but you realize, autism is mission-critical. Duh.

This migration may mean I will have to get out my password
in order to Log In.

I know where my password is.
I just looked at it.

Wait, are you implying that despite my extensive history in software engineering I'm the kind of wonk to display poor organizational skills?

If you're talking to me, no, there are no implications
about you at all. All I'm saying is, I know where my
password is and that I made sure I knew where it was
because I hate using my password and I don't want
any complications that would arise from not knowing
where it is.

If you're talking to me, no, there are no implications
about you at all. All I'm saying is, I know where my
password is and that I made sure I knew where it was
because I hate using my password and I don't want
any complications that would arise from not knowing
where it is.
jk jk jk

Well that was more fun than I had hoped for but the site should now be back up and running.

My apologies for the delay in getting it working.

Please let me know if you see any errors.

I don't see any way to click emogis, for reactions to posts, either in threads or PMs or Profile Posts.

No green check for agree, no laughy face for funny,...etc...

New Threads

Top Bottom